Wiki Posts
Search

FlyBe Hand Baggage

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2014, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
FlyBe Hand Baggage

Not flown with Flybe before but have to due to a regional-to-regional journey.

Does anyone know how strict they are with hand luggage. I have a business trip for two days and do not want to be waiting around for hold luggage at the belt at either end.

For work reasons I need to take a laptop AND ipad AND change of clothes. I think this will all be under weight limit (still need to check) but if it is not would I get away with taken my iPad in my hand.

I know that EY and FR clamp down on this but some posts from a few years ago seems to suggest that FlyBe seem to let this fly (geddit?)

TIA
Old May 18, 2014, 6:12 am

What route are you flying on? Flybe have different rules for different routes, depending on the aircraft. On some routes (like those from NWI, using Loganair Dorniers) you're only allowed a briefcase (or equivalent) but don't pay for checked baggage. And this is usually strictly enforced, for the simple reason that there is no space.
Old May 18, 2014, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
What route are you flying on? Flybe have different rules for different routes, depending on the aircraft. On some routes (like those from NWI, using Loganair Dorniers) you're only allowed a briefcase (or equivalent) but don't pay for checked baggage. And this is usually strictly enforced, for the simple reason that there is no space.

EDI to SOU. They are using the Dash8 from what I can garner.

But looking at the hand and checked baggage allowances I could not see any difference between diffferent routes as to the hand bag allowance. It seems to be 10KG on each.

TBH, the size is not an issue for me. It is just I tihnk I will be cutting the 10 kilos fine.
Old May 18, 2014, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by flieduk
But looking at the hand and checked baggage allowances I could not see any difference between diffferent routes as to the hand bag allowance. It seems to be 10KG on each..
The permitted size is definitely smaller on the Dornier-operated routes - weight may not be.
Old May 18, 2014, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
The permitted size is definitely smaller on the Dornier-operated routes - weight may not be.

Hrmm...
Are you sure?
My booking email states this:

Baggage allowance and restrictions

Flybe will be unable to carry any bag in the cabin which is too big to fit in our baggage sizer. If your bag is bigger than 55cmx40cmx23cm please go to the Flybe bag drop to check it in. Please note that we may apply an additional charge of £50 for any oversized bag checked in at the departure gate.
Please note: when measuring your hand baggage, and where appropriate, please ensure that you include the bag's wheels.
Each bag carried in the aircraft hold will be charged at the prevailing rate at the time of purchase. Flybe offer a discounted, non-refundable rate for the first bag paid for on flybe.com in advance. Your baggage allowance varies by the size of bag purchased - please see details of our charges for details. No single bag can weigh more than 30kg.

No liability will be accepted for fragile items including glass/bottles, perishable items, valuables, jewellery, money, business documents, precious metals, computers, car or house keys and other important items, in the hold baggage.
But the key issue for me is how strict they are upon "secondary" items?
Old May 18, 2014, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

They do seem to have lower allowances for LoganAir routes (which also operate Dornier's AFAIK).

http://www.flybe.com/baggage/hand-baggage.htm

But they don't seem to have lower allowances, from what I can read, for Flybe operated Dornier's (which is what this seems to be).
Old May 24, 2014, 2:41 am
R7U

Programs: TK Elite; HH Diamond; AA Plat; CC Gold
FlyBe is not very strict to hand baggage. Their hand luggage size is also much better than Ryanairs because of extra 3cm.
Old May 25, 2014, 4:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Gold, easyJet Flight Club, Global Entry
On the 100+ times I've flown with them between Leeds and Belfast I have never yet seen them enforce hand luggage - in fact the F/A's usually help other passengers wrestle their suitcases into the overhead bins!
Old May 25, 2014, 4:28 am
sfx

if the flight is full and everyone brings the max, no chance they fit and start enforcing... depends on route and time of year... never seen them check at all on domestic.
Old May 25, 2014, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by flieduk
But they don't seem to have lower allowances, from what I can read, for Flybe operated Dornier's (which is what this seems to be).
They don't have any Dorniers of their own. One of the Loganair ones is in FlyBe livery, but it's still a Loganair (ex Suckling Airways) one, and the smaller dimensions (and free hold baggage) apply. G-BWWT (the FlyBe-liveried Dornier) and the plain white Dorniers are pretty much used interchangeably.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: SPG Gold, BA oik, TK pleb, EY Hoi Polloi
I fly on Q400 Dash-8s a reasonable amount (probably up to 16 trips this year) they're fine (usually) with multiple pieces but if you've got a wheelie right at the limits it will struggle to fit and may have to go under the seat in front of you - Dash 8 overhead bins are too small to accomodate those max quoted figures - there is usually a passenger complaining that it won't go in but meets the spec. If they take it off you at this stage you probably wont be charged and it'll go in the hold but you'll recieve it on the tarmac at the destination though.

Personally, I go for a soft rucksack/knapsack or laptop bag, rather than something rigid unless it is smaller than the usual "biggest ryanair will accomodate style bag"

On regional journeys I've found hold luggage gets out very quick, probably because they don't have to scan it to see if you've been smuggling 2,000,000 cigarettes in to pounce on you going through the nothing to declare lane. Longest I've spent at a baggage carosell this year is 10 minutes. It's usually more like 5. YMMV

Flybe are a Low Cost Carrier, so IF it's full and IF your baggage isn't compliant or IF you have more than 1 bag and it looks like you're really taking the Michael, you might get stung (not seen it, not happened to me, not heard anyone complaining vocally about it in 16 flights - so unlike whizz air/ ryanair from my experience.)

Though that might be because everyone is deaf from the turboprop... If you're going to make a habit of it I reccommend noise cancelling earphones.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:17 am
Suspended

I did 3 flights on Dash 8 last week all different routes and they were very strict on luggage. Even making people put shopping inside the carry on. The overhead bin is tiny and my samsonite rollaboard fits in just nice with 10 kg inside. I tend to use very lightweight clothing so it can be washed in hotel and dry overnight.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: *A "Top 1000 2015", FB Lifetime Plat.; BA Silver; Ma; Hilton Diamond.rriott Gold
Originally Posted by sfx
if the flight is full and everyone brings the max, no chance they fit and start enforcing... depends on route and time of year... never seen them check at all on domestic.

Well they are now. Seen it twice now on the LBA-NQY route. And people being forced to pay £50 to check bags into the hold when they don't fit. And their frames are very strict on the dimensions -- my other half's small suitcase at 20cm deep had to be rammed in and tugged out to fit..
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:10 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Leedsflyer
Well they are now. Seen it twice now on the LBA-NQY route. And people being forced to pay £50 to check bags into the hold when they don't fit. And their frames are very strict on the dimensions -- my other half's small suitcase at 20cm deep had to be rammed in and tugged out to fit..
I can also confirm this. The staff at EDI were like hawks looking for prey when seeing people's cabin bags. Anything slightly bigger was charged for and sent to the hold.
Max Klim likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
FlyBE hand luggage rules

FlyBE May-19 magazine

I flew out of NOC this morning (Flybe don't allow online checkin at NOC), and the checkin staff (NOC employees by the looks of things) were assiduously requiring all passengers with hand luggage to put them in the cage to check for size.

Quite a few passengers didn't manage to squeeze their bags in, and were sent to pay the hold fee. I'm assuming if NOC staff are being strict, then other airport staff will be too.

The inflight magazine is telling the truth !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.