Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Iceland Air flights arriving from YEG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2014, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold

Wondering why we were sent throught a security check upon arrival at KEF? We were not in transit. KEF was our destination.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by Cascadia
Wondering why we were sent throught a security check upon arrival at KEF? We were not in transit. KEF was our destination.
The terminal design at KEF mixes arriving and transit passengers.

Iceland follows European security protocols which do not recognize Canadian ones so you'd experience the same at any similarly designed terminal in Europe.

Not sure what the issue is with Canada but Europe does recognize US security protocols and there is no screening of passengers coming from the US at KEF.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks Braniff. That is what I thought. Normaly I fly from SEA to KEF but wanted to try YEG for a change. In June I am flying from YVR.

Do they confiscate duty free on arrival from Canada then?
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:36 am

You need to have your duty free purchases in the sealed shopping bag for a connecting flight
Old Mar 14, 2014, 3:29 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Braniff
The terminal design at KEF mixes arriving and transit passengers.

Iceland follows European security protocols which do not recognize Canadian ones so you'd experience the same at any similarly designed terminal in Europe.

Not sure what the issue is with Canada but Europe does recognize US security protocols and there is no screening of passengers coming from the US at KEF.
Must be new then because I was re screened at KEF in 2010 coming in from SEA.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
Must be new then because I was re screened at KEF in 2010 coming in from SEA.
Indeed, I believe it changed in 2011.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:40 pm

March 8/9 YEG-KEF

If you were on the flight that arrived on March 9th so was I.

Took a bit of time to go through the security screening but after that it was smooth. Weather was a touch nasty especially that night and the next day!

All in all I found the whole flight experience quite pleasant and as good as if not better in many respects than AC service YEG-LHR - when it's offered.

Unless I'm going to LHR as a final destination, I will be flying FI from now on to Europe.

Although it won't be this year, I will be returning just to Iceland to play in the Arctic Open www.arcticopen.is
Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:20 pm

Bjorn Thoroddsen

I was going on UA YEG-DEN-PSP on March 31, 2014 and saw Bjorn Thoroddson the jazz guitarist at the Icelandair desk checking in.

I had the pleasure of hearing Bjorn play when I was in Reykjavik at the Canadian Ambassador's reception for the Edmonton Mission. We talked briefly during one of his breaks and exchanged e-mails.

I called out and Bjorn came over and we chatted briefly. He was connecting from Winnipeg where he had just played.

Nice to see the connections working out!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by PunishedEdmontonian
I was going on UA YEG-DEN-PSP on March 31, 2014 and saw Bjorn Thoroddson the jazz guitarist at the Icelandair desk checking in.

I had the pleasure of hearing Bjorn play when I was in Reykjavik at the Canadian Ambassador's reception for the Edmonton Mission. We talked briefly during one of his breaks and exchanged e-mails.

I called out and Bjorn came over and we chatted briefly. He was connecting from Winnipeg where he had just played.

Nice to see the connections working out!

Never heard of this man - Bjorn Thoroddsen - but glad you enjoy his work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.