Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Angry Passengers Revolt on Ryanair Plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:10 pm
Used to be 'FTcadence'
Original Poster

Furious French Ryanair passengers launched a 'barbaric' revolt against plane crew because of anger over a delay, it was claimed today.

Police were called when they abused staff of the low-cost airline, refused to accept instructions, and stole duty free products including alcoholic drinks and perfume from trollies.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...y-landing.html
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: United: Gold, HHonors: Gold, Marriott: Gold, AA, US, AGR
Why didn't Ryanair just divert the plane (after dropping off the passenger in Madrid) to CDG or ORY? I guess they don't have ground staff there, but flying into Nantes just sounds really out of the way!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
The airline gave them a hotel? What did the pax have to complain about? If they flew UA frequently they would be in a constant state of rebellion over bad service.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
The airline gave them a hotel? What did the pax have to complain about? If they flew UA frequently they would be in a constant state of rebellion over bad service.
"We were thirsty, hungry, and had no information on our fate. We compensated ourselves by taking some drinks and food. After seven hours stuck in the plane, instead of two and a half, people needed to eat."

I can only assume based on the passenger's statement that hotels were initially not offered and/or there was a breakdown in communication. If I'm not assured that help is coming after waiting for seven hours then yeah I will take action in my own hand to survive, and we do need water and food to survive.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by zerolife
"We were thirsty, hungry, and had no information on our fate. We compensated ourselves by taking some drinks and food. After seven hours stuck in the plane, instead of two and a half, people needed to eat."

I can only assume based on the passenger's statement that hotels were initially not offered and/or there was a breakdown in communication. If I'm not assured that help is coming after waiting for seven hours then yeah I will take action in my own hand to survive, and we do need water and food to survive.
Is this a joke? You're worried about survival without food for 7 hours? What do you do when you sleep?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Originally Posted by largeeyes
Is this a joke? You're worried about survival without food for 7 hours? What do you do when you sleep?
I'm not saying this is the case here (certainly not with most of the people) but there is a large share of the population with medical conditions (e.g. diabetes) where 7 hours without eating can result in life threatening conditions. Also 7 hours without drinking can lead to dehydration and is surely not what one would consider healthy. Since Ryan Air to my understanding does not offer any complimentary beverage or food, we can assume that most people haven't had any food / drink since they boarded the plane and thus for much longer than 7 hours. Yes, people could have purchased food / beverages. However it's just not right to charge people in such a circumstance, and some people may not even have the cash with them.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:22 am

Normally I condemn such uncivilized behaviour, but since this is Ryanair we are talking about, I think they deserve it .

Seriously though, diversions happen from time-to-time and it doesn't make sense that one seriously ill passenger would trigger a riot. Something is missing from this story.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by TonyBurr
Not in a constant state, but angry passengers have revolted against UA before, remember that incident with the cancelled flight from Shanghai to Newark:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/united-pass...ry?id=16784289

Last edited by WindowSeat123; Jan 21, 2014 at 12:32 am
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:34 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by TakeTheATrain
I guess they don't have ground staff there
They do not have ground staff anywhere They always fully outsource...
Old Jan 21, 2014, 3:09 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Seems a little ridiculous to me. They should all be charged with theft and interfering with a crew
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:44 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Similar story in 2010 Google Translate
I'd say that the reaction to irrops on flights to/from northern africa is different from the western european norm. Also, the way Ryanair treats its passengers doesn't help bringing them in the right mood either.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Not enough information here to form any conclusion. If the passengers were being kept on board for several hours without access to food and drink then I don't think survival is the issue - you just want to eat and drink. That being said, you'd have to buy it in for example the airport anyway (unless it's a meal voucher at the hotel etc). And it doesn't necessarily justify stealing it - the proper course would be a complaint but perhaps the passengers knew (or suspected) that Ryanair would tell them where to go.

From the story it doesn't look like Ryanair did anything wrong - you can't breach noise curfews except in an emergency. There has to be more to it. The Daily Mail is not known for forensic reporting.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:09 am

Food and drink should have been voluntarily provided by Ryanair. It was a very frustrating situation for all concerned. Ryanair couldn't have helped diverting to Madrid, but a lot more consideration and concern was due passengers being put through the 2 day ordeal of another detour to Nantes, then a hotel, then a bus to Paris.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
FA: Captain, the passengers are revolting.
captain: you said it, they stink on ice.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:57 am

Just read the article, amazing, "revolt" did anybody get arrested

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.