Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

TP J w/long layover at LIS: questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:50 am
Original Poster

I'm flying on a US award ticket, GRU-LIS arriving at 1000 with a 21 hour layover, then LIS-ZRH at 0705 the next morning. Both flights on TP J.

1) I doubt they will check my luggage through on this sort of layover, correct?

2) What are my chances of getting TAP lounge access on the day I arrive? Could I get admitted to the lounge on the basis of the next morning's ticket?

3) I'm staying that night at the Radisson Blu next to the airport. It runs a free airport shuttle but the first one leaves at 0600. My flight leaves at 0705 and I'll probably have to re-check my bag. Is this way too tight? I think I should make it because it's a Schengen flight and I have business class check-in, but I wonder if it's just too risky. Since I'm an American, do I need to go through passport control even though it's a Schengen flight?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by stevedrambus
I'm flying on a US award ticket, GRU-LIS arriving at 1000 with a 21 hour layover, then LIS-ZRH at 0705 the next morning. Both flights on TP J.

1) I doubt they will check my luggage through on this sort of layover, correct?

2) What are my chances of getting TAP lounge access on the day I arrive? Could I get admitted to the lounge on the basis of the next morning's ticket?

3) I'm staying that night at the Radisson Blu next to the airport. It runs a free airport shuttle but the first one leaves at 0600. My flight leaves at 0705 and I'll probably have to re-check my bag. Is this way too tight? I think I should make it because it's a Schengen flight and I have business class check-in, but I wonder if it's just too risky. Since I'm an American, do I need to go through passport control even though it's a Schengen flight?
On (1) I've cetainly had bags checked on overnight connections. But really I have no idea about your case.

(2) As you are entering Portugal, rather than transferring airside, you won't get to try the lounge untl the next day. I'm sure you could engineer a direct transfer, then quit the process; but it really isn't worth the effort.

(3) No worries. One of the joys of the Schengen business is you get all the paperwork taken care of on your first entry into the zone: subsequent cross-border journeys within it are "border-free". Though, of course, you still get the security malarky. If they give you security fast-track (the green line), be prepared to duck out of it if you see it is a single position and there are a more than a couple of folk ahead of you.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Dec 16, 2013 at 4:26 pm
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would not risk leaving the Radisson at 6 am for a 7:05 flight. That hotel is not that close to the airport. Even though as the other poster says, it's all within Schengen.
Might be marginally doable, but not worth being stressed out for a few bucks.
Take a cab.

(BTW I don't particularly like that Radisson. Kind of cheap and a bit noisy. )
Old Dec 22, 2013, 1:51 am

In theory they can hold your bags for you, but personally for a 21-hour layover I would not do it. (I have a personal reason for this: LIS is the only airport were they have managed to lose my bags on a connection, in 15 years of travel...)

I disagree with the others: flying J, within Schengen, you can still take the first shuttle. Double check the departure and travel time with the hotel when arriving, but you should be at the airport by 6:10. You can check-in (if still necessary) at the dedicated check-in area (all the way to the left in the corner when entering the airport) and use the priority security lane, which can put you at the gate by 6:30.

But I do agree that taking a taxi 30 minutes earlier would make it a lot less stressful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.