Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > easyJet | easyJet Plus
Reload this Page >

Easyjet lose 29 passengers between gate and plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2013, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

The Guardian is reporting that 29 passengers were left behind when they somehow got stuck between the gate and the plane. They'd all apparently gone through the gate (had boarding passes scanned), but a member of staff got them to wait behind a security barrier and before they knew it the plane had gone!

The only thing that confuses me is that I've noticed cabin crew counting passengers/empy seats to make sure they have everyone. I've also been delayed when cabin crew thought they were one passenger short ... he was eventually found sleeping at the back of the plane. Easyjet suggest this count is entirely optional whereas I'd always assumed it was a security measure.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: LX, BA, SQ, MH
Originally Posted by marble
The Guardian is reporting that 29 passengers were left behind when they somehow got stuck between the gate and the plane. They'd all apparently gone through the gate (had boarding passes scanned), but a member of staff got them to wait behind a security barrier and before they knew it the plane had gone!

The only thing that confuses me is that I've noticed cabin crew counting passengers/empy seats to make sure they have everyone. I've also been delayed when cabin crew thought they were one passenger short ... he was eventually found sleeping at the back of the plane. Easyjet suggest this count is entirely optional whereas I'd always assumed it was a security measure.
I also assumed it was mandatory to do a head count before departure and this has happened on all kinds of airlines from budget to premium. I have been delayed so often because of missing passengers etc. but these usually have not made it to the gate.
Also what I find astonishing, is that usually ground staff would handover the manifest to the crew after boarding is completed. Therefore I do feel that some rules were violated.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by LAX888
Therefore I do feel that some rules were violated.
Or, heaven forbid, the report is inaccurate.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
EZY's procedures seem to be to get the passengers through the gate, that is boarding passes scanned, just before the incoming flight arrives, feed all the passengers into an unventilated, unheated corridor, close the gate, then use the same gate agent to look after the passengers coming off the incoming plane.
I assume the flight manifest is made up of all the scanned BPs. I've very rarely seen head-counts on EZY.
Saves on ground staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.