FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   easyJet | easyJet Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/easyjet-easyjet-plus-775/)
-   -   Easyjet lose 29 passengers between gate and plane (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/easyjet-easyjet-plus/1511035-easyjet-lose-29-passengers-between-gate-plane.html)

marble Oct 10, 2013 6:08 pm

Easyjet lose 29 passengers between gate and plane

The Guardian is reporting that 29 passengers were left behind when they somehow got stuck between the gate and the plane. They'd all apparently gone through the gate (had boarding passes scanned), but a member of staff got them to wait behind a security barrier and before they knew it the plane had gone!

The only thing that confuses me is that I've noticed cabin crew counting passengers/empy seats to make sure they have everyone. I've also been delayed when cabin crew thought they were one passenger short ... he was eventually found sleeping at the back of the plane. Easyjet suggest this count is entirely optional whereas I'd always assumed it was a security measure.

LAX888 Oct 10, 2013 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by marble (Post 21588461)
The Guardian is reporting that 29 passengers were left behind when they somehow got stuck between the gate and the plane. They'd all apparently gone through the gate (had boarding passes scanned), but a member of staff got them to wait behind a security barrier and before they knew it the plane had gone!

The only thing that confuses me is that I've noticed cabin crew counting passengers/empy seats to make sure they have everyone. I've also been delayed when cabin crew thought they were one passenger short ... he was eventually found sleeping at the back of the plane. Easyjet suggest this count is entirely optional whereas I'd always assumed it was a security measure.

I also assumed it was mandatory to do a head count before departure and this has happened on all kinds of airlines from budget to premium. I have been delayed so often because of missing passengers etc. but these usually have not made it to the gate.
Also what I find astonishing, is that usually ground staff would handover the manifest to the crew after boarding is completed. Therefore I do feel that some rules were violated.

IAN-UK Oct 11, 2013 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by LAX888 (Post 21589213)
Therefore I do feel that some rules were violated.

Or, heaven forbid, the report is inaccurate.

catandmouse Nov 4, 2013 12:32 am

EZY's procedures seem to be to get the passengers through the gate, that is boarding passes scanned, just before the incoming flight arrives, feed all the passengers into an unventilated, unheated corridor, close the gate, then use the same gate agent to look after the passengers coming off the incoming plane.
I assume the flight manifest is made up of all the scanned BPs. I've very rarely seen head-counts on EZY.
Saves on ground staff.