Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian Reward: how to claim "CashPoints"

Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Dear all,

I booked a flight with Norwegian Air shuttle a few weeks ago via Opodo and joined the "Norwegian Reward" programme today. I would like to claim the "CashPoints" for that trip. Unfortunately, in my profile at the Norwegian Reward site, the booking is not listed under "My Reservations". If I go to "Find Reservation", I can find my reservation with the reservation code and my name. However, it is not added to "My Reservations".

How can I make sure I get my CashPoints? It was not clear to me from the FAQ at the site and I am flying next week.

I hope someone can help me,
many thanks in advance !
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by capybara
Unfortunately, in my profile at the Norwegian Reward site, the booking is not listed under "My Reservations".
Of course it's not listed under "My Reservations", because the reservation was made before you requested a Norwegian Reward number, and therefore the reservation does not have any Norwegian Reward number associated with the booking. And neither, from what you have written, have you yet added your new number to the existing booking.

Go to this page: https://www.norwegian.com/ssl/uk/cus...ian/reslookup/

In the "Submit Travel Details" box, enter your Reservation number and Last name in the appropriate box, and hit search. When your reservation is displayed to you, you should easily find a field/box/option where you can enter your Norwegian Rewards number. Once you have done this, your booking will show up under "My Reservations" when you log into your Norwegian Rewards account. Until you manually add the number to your booking, your booking is not associated with any account/number, so of course it won't show up in your account when you are logged in.

If you can't find this, you can add it either during the online checkin process, or when checking in at the airport.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:51 am
Original Poster

If I look up my reservation, it shows up. However, I do not find any field/box/option to enter my Norwegian Rewards number...

A text search for "rewards" on the reservation details does not give anything either.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Then simply enter the number when you check in online. Or give the agent your number when you check in at the airport.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
The website is pretty clear that rewards will not apply to any reservations you made before becoming a member.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:02 am

Like the OP I managed to book my first flight with Norwegian from Gatwick to Palma (One Way) in June but without my flight accruing value to the Norwegian Reward scheme. This seemed to be because I was not logged in to my Norwegian Reward account before initiating the booking, even though I had already created a Norwegian Reward accounts. My second booking for a one way flight from Gatwick to Palma in September did track ok.

Confusingly my account page today for the Norwegian Rewards scheme says I have a Balance of 0 Cash Points and yet when I look at the flight booked on 24th Sept (it was actually for 29th Sept but the Reward scheme only seems to keep track of the date of flight booking and not the date of travel for some odd reason) it shows I have 0.21 CashPoints. So am I only shown as having a 0 Cash Points balance on the summary page because I do not yet have 1.00 worth of them yet? And is that 1.00 worth in NOK, EUR or GBP?

Either way this has to be the most ungenerous Rewards Scheme in history by an airline as Rewards seem to accrue only against flight value (I later added a hold bag 24 hours before the flight but no points have accrued in relation to that) and not add on options and at only a 1% level. So basically if you only travel on Norwegian's budget low priced flights it is usually going to take you 100 flights before you accrue enough Cash Points to take a free one. The only people for whom this will not be true may be business persons booking last minute at very high fares like 500 Euros return paid for by their business but who choose to carry out their later redemption activities on the lowest possible cost Norwegian flights. Passengers booking very expensive Norwegian Business fares may I suppose only need to take say four top price return flights at 500 EUR return (eight flights in total) before then then finally have 20EUR of Cash Points that they can use on one of Norwegian's cheapie one way fares.

However if you only ever book Norwegian cheapie fares at 21GBP one way or similar then the Rewards scheme is a waste of time as it will take 100 single or return journeys before you can book either one single or return free flight. Now forgive me for being cynical but I am sure Norwegian probably also have a way of expiring off the points as outdated or for inactivity etc before you are every likely to be in a position to book such a free flight.

In summary the Norwegian Rewards points are clearly only there to make passengers paying top business fares with Norwegian feel like they are getting something back (even though it is still only at a 1% Reward Rate of the fares they have paid). For everyone else booking cheap fares only with Norwegian their rewards scheme is more or less a total waste of time.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Capvermell
Like the OP I managed to book my first flight with Norwegian from Gatwick to Palma (One Way) in June but without my flight accruing value to the Norwegian Reward scheme. This seemed to be because I was not logged in to my Norwegian Reward account before initiating the booking, even though I had already created a Norwegian Reward accounts. My second booking for a one way flight from Gatwick to Palma in September did track ok.

Confusingly my account page today for the Norwegian Rewards scheme says I have a Balance of 0 Cash Points and yet when I look at the flight booked on 24th Sept (it was actually for 29th Sept but the Reward scheme only seems to keep track of the date of flight booking and not the date of travel for some odd reason) it shows I have 0.21 CashPoints. So am I only shown as having a 0 Cash Points balance on the summary page because I do not yet have 1.00 worth of them yet? And is that 1.00 worth in NOK, EUR or GBP?

Either way this has to be the most ungenerous Rewards Scheme in history by an airline as Rewards seem to accrue only against flight value (I later added a hold bag 24 hours before the flight but no points have accrued in relation to that) and not add on options and at only a 1% level. So basically if you only travel on Norwegian's budget low priced flights it is usually going to take you 100 flights before you accrue enough Cash Points to take a free one. The only people for whom this will not be true may be business persons booking last minute at very high fares like 500 Euros return paid for by their business but who choose to carry out their later redemption activities on the lowest possible cost Norwegian flights. Passengers booking very expensive Norwegian Business fares may I suppose only need to take say four top price return flights at 500 EUR return (eight flights in total) before then then finally have 20EUR of Cash Points that they can use on one of Norwegian's cheapie one way fares.

However if you only ever book Norwegian cheapie fares at 21GBP one way or similar then the Rewards scheme is a waste of time as it will take 100 single or return journeys before you can book either one single or return free flight. Now forgive me for being cynical but I am sure Norwegian probably also have a way of expiring off the points as outdated or for inactivity etc before you are every likely to be in a position to book such a free flight.

In summary the Norwegian Rewards points are clearly only there to make passengers paying top business fares with Norwegian feel like they are getting something back (even though it is still only at a 1% Reward Rate of the fares they have paid). For everyone else booking cheap fares only with Norwegian their rewards scheme is more or less a total waste of time.
Actually, someone flying on 4 business fares at €500 each would earn about €150 of points.

And the earn rate on low fares is 2% of the fare excluding taxes. No it's not worth a lot and yes, people spending more benefit more (the very people such schemes are designed to benefit in the first place, would you not agree?), but it's hardly a trick - and I'm not aware of any other budget carrier in Europe that offers a frequent flier program.

Not that I'd say it's entirely useless. You don't have to save up enough to buy a flight, you can use whatever you've earnt immediately to part-pay for your next flight. As I said, if you're flying on their dirt cheap fares it's virtually nothing, but it's better than nothing. The 20p I earnt on my 50 flights to the Canary Islands next month is better than the couple of hundred miles I earnt from KLM going to Amsterdam last summer which cannot be used for anything at all!
Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Reviving old thread, did not want to start a new one.

I have an idle norwegian account since some time, but now they offered to sign up for their norwegian credit card and get 1000 cashpoints as bonus after the first spend. I did all according to instructions, spend in due time, but have not received any cashpoints. And moreover, I see in their emails that "your card has not been activated" which is very confusing.

Anyone with simillar experience and thoughts how to handle?

And their website really sucks big time, I cannot find a customer contact whom to call to rectify this issue, nor can I even find a clear description how I can use my cashpoints and what value they represent ("1%" is not a clear statement what value it is, on what basis, simply stupid)
Old Apr 29, 2018, 4:12 am

And their website really sucks big time, I cannot find a customer contact whom to call to rectify this issue, nor can I even find a clear description how I can use my cashpoints and what value they represent ("1%" is not a clear statement what value it is, on what basis, simply stupid)
They seem to provide a contact form at https://norwegian.custhelp.com/app/ask and also have an email address there of [email protected]

Also on their web page at https://norwegian.custhelp.com/app/chat/chat_launch they list a Norwegian phone number of +47 21 49 00 15.

In addition their web page at https://media.norwegian.com/uk/#/ lists a UK customer service phone number of +44 330 828 0854 and a UK press office number of +44 20 3874 6100.

If none of that works you also try emailing the CEO using the details to be found at https://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-121336
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles (silver), Lounge Key
Not only cashpoints

Well, yes, Norwegian does not give much of a cashpoint reward on an intra-European flight for 30 Euro, but when you fly on some of their long-distance route, and the better in Premium, the cashpoint balance is more noticeable. Moreover with frequent flights, you gain other benefits for flying, like free seat reservation, free bag, which again is a good value on EU-US routes. I also sometimes book hotels with Rocketmiles (*) and there I get so much for booking a hotel that I get cashpoints for several low-fare tickets. To me, the program is quite good. I like the fact that I can spend whatever Cashpoint balance I have on a new ticket -- not to wait until I accumulate 50.000 miles to be able actually spend them (like in my other FF programs). Any reward program is just a way to attract you to the same company. The main objective should of course be flying to and from places you need!

(*) Beware, sometimes Rocketmiles charge much more than other booking sites.
Old May 5, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, WN A-List
To defend a FF program (which I never thought I would ever do!) Norwegian is actually amazingly generous OAK-LGW but only if you buy Premium Flex.
It looks from rough math that you earn about 100GBP a leg that you can use just like cash towards a future booking. This is huge compared to United etc.

A discount Premium fare OSL-LGW was about 7% of the 100GBP credit, so they really want the high yield fare but bizzarely give back a big chunk of it.

Economy I am sure you get almost nothing unless perhaps you buy flex, which would be very silly to do for the product.

Enjoy it while it lasts before IAG arrive!
Old May 17, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Thank you for the answers. Finally I did call the above number, which annoyingly only told me to contact chat in rewards questions, which I did and finally got it solved. Annoying I had to register my norwegian credit card to my account first (all other programs have this automated without annoying customer) and now I am 1000 cashpoints rich, worth about 100€.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.