Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Old Jul 18, 2016, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by inpd
What destinations did you fly to and how was the overall experience flying with them?
I flew from OAK-OSL. For the price I paid, it was great. I brought my own food and snacks, and movies on my iphone. The flights departed and arrived close to scheduled times. I don't have any complaints.

But immigration at OAK was terrible, there were only two officers for around 300+(?) passengers on a 787.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sktnyc
I flew from OAK-OSL. For the price I paid, it was great. I brought my own food and snacks, and movies on my iphone. The flights departed and arrived close to scheduled times. I don't have any complaints.

But immigration at OAK was terrible, there were only two officers for around 300+(?) passengers on a 787.
Okay. You mean returning to the US you re-entered through oakland right?

I'm returning via United so that won't be an issue for me.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 1:23 am

Programs: Most FF and hotel, i.e., spread too thin.
Norwegian OAK-LGW

Another Spirit air type operation it seems - everything is extra. Seat selection? Meal? Check bag? All extra cost. Or, you can buy a bundle of options.

The fares look great. I booked travel in a couple of months. New planes and a Norsk-ie crew should be good and the depart/arrive times are convenient. I expect I can make do with meals, only do carry-on and hope for a decent seat from the gate agent. I will be very interested to hear more about experiences with them by others.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by RickR
New planes and a Norsk-ie crew should be good and the depart/arrive times are convenient.
The crew is based in BKK and FLL, so unlikely to be Nordic.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 5:33 pm

How is the experience flying from JFK to LGW? I have a backpack that I want to use as a personal item since I'm only bring carry on, but I don't know if it'll be too big. Also do they have check in kiosks at JFK or do you have to go to the counter?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Kristopher Rodriguez
How is the experience flying from JFK to LGW? I have a backpack that I want to use as a personal item since I'm only bring carry on, but I don't know if it'll be too big. Also do they have check in kiosks at JFK or do you have to go to the counter?
Welcome to FT. My Son traveled on Norweigan LAX-CPH last month. No kiosk and we checked in with the counter rep. He had a small backpack that he used for school books and a 50 Liter Kelty. No issues with either carrying on.. when he returned VCE-ARN-LAX there were no issues as well. That's our only data points.. Safe Travels
Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, WN A-List
Norwegian Premium Checkin

I'm flying OAK-LGW and OSL-LGW in Premium.

Some of the posts in this threads make me a little nervous!

Does anyone know if Norwegian have a separate desk for premium pax?
Economy checkin sounds ugly!

Thanks!
Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by phil94028

Thanks!
At LAX they had a Premium Line (albeit both the Premium and regular lines moved very quickly) My son traveled and we just stepped up and was attended to in the regular line.. Safe Travels
Old Aug 19, 2016, 12:02 am
te1

Originally Posted by phil94028

Thanks!
We flew out of OAK to ARN a few weeks ago and I believe there was a checkin lane for premium. FWIW, at 3.5 hours prior to departure there was no line for premium or economy at checkin.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Originally Posted by te1
We flew out of OAK to ARN a few weeks ago and I believe there was a checkin lane for premium. FWIW, at 3.5 hours prior to departure there was no line for premium or economy at checkin.

I flew OAK to ARN yesterday. ,There is a premium lane. Ticket counter opens 4 hours before scheduled takeoff time. They weighed all my bags, including personal items, but it seem more perfunctory - the agent barely glanced at the weights. Carry on bags at the gate with other pass seemed typical size of any airline. YMMV of course. Suggest having a plan B if they decide to get picky on weight. Or you could leave you carry on in car and retrieve after you check in. There was no scale or sizer in use by gate
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Gold, SPG Gold, Emerald Club
I recently stumbled upon Norwegian a few days ago while beginning to research air options for a potential 2017 cruise. At least on paper, it looks like a stellar deal for the price. Even their Premium class is a huge bargain, especially when you know you'll get a Dreamliner to boot.

I've read a number of travel blog reviews/videos, and the Premium cabin (long haul) looks fairly comparable to a domestic first class, but with LA-Z-Boy seats. IS that a fair comparison to make?

FYI, for those curious, I'm looking at potentially using Norwegian one one (or both) ends of a Mediterranean cruise. Potential itineraries would be:

JFK-LGW-FCO (cruise starts in Rome)
BCN-OSL-JFK (cruise ends in Barcelona)
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
I would say that the premium class on Norwegian is better than domestic first class. Well, the seat and leg room are better. The food, that is a different story.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 2:51 am

Programs: Delta Gold
Originally Posted by GrandMoffJoseph
I recently stumbled upon Norwegian a few days ago while beginning to research air options for a potential 2017 cruise. At least on paper, it looks like a stellar deal for the price. Even their Premium class is a huge bargain, especially when you know you'll get a Dreamliner to boot.

I've read a number of travel blog reviews/videos, and the Premium cabin (long haul) looks fairly comparable to a domestic first class, but with LA-Z-Boy seats. IS that a fair comparison to make?

FYI, for those curious, I'm looking at potentially using Norwegian one one (or both) ends of a Mediterranean cruise. Potential itineraries would be:

JFK-LGW-FCO (cruise starts in Rome)
BCN-OSL-JFK (cruise ends in Barcelona)
Seats are better than domestic first. Be sure to review baggage limits - less than you may expect. Also, their ability to recover from delays is poor. I would add an extra day buffer if meeting a cruise.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:39 am

I just few on Norwegian from LAX to LGW RT in Premium. Very positive experience.
No check-in line at LAX. Checked in, dropped off a bag, and went through security in a total of 30 minutes.
All Premium ticket holders, if flying through LAX or LGW, are given lounge access. Free internet and pretty good food too (buffet style) at LAX. Although, slightly disappointed with the selection at the #1 Lounge at LGW.
The seats in premium are some of the best I've had. Unfortunately, not full recline but plenty of legroom for a tall guy like me (6 foot 3).
Food was better going over than it was upon return.
Cabin crew seemed on both trips seemed to enjoy their work.
Plane was not late on either trip.
All and all, a good experience. I would consider flying with them again.
However, after doing research it appears Air New Zealand offers a similar version of premium economy for about the same price from LAX to LHR. Would be curious to look into that option as well for the next London trip.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 11:57 pm

Programs: Most FF and hotel, i.e., spread too thin.
Norwegian good / OK / poor ...

Originally Posted by WNHHTraveler
I would say that the premium class on Norwegian is better than domestic first class. Well, the seat and leg room are better. The food, that is a different story.
Comments after a recent round trip, OAK-LGW, ROM-ARN-OAK, 1st time using them.

1. good operation and economy class service and pricing hard to beat. They even have half-way decent leg room in economy - though the seats are a bit cramped. Overall: recommended.

2. In premium ONLY the seats are premium. If you need those seats then OK. Otherwise just pay up for the extras like checked bags, seat assignment, beer/wine and a box lunch. The service level and food does not come close to matching that of first class or business class on other carriers-especially international.

3. some specific gripes about "premium" -
- there is no music; all you get are videos and a rather poor selection at that. The ear buds they pass out (free, no return) are mediocre at best and have no noise cancelling.
- they do not have champagne/sparkling wine, Drambuie, etc. They had a grand total of 2 liqueurs (Baileys and a brandy), red/white wine, beer and 2 juices: orange and apple. That's it. If you want champagne 'you can buy it at the on-board store.' If you want anything else - bring it with you.
- the meals are boxes, perhaps the same as steerage. no linen, plastic tableware, no dishes, all packaged and needing unpacking to eat. Then repacking to be picked up. Very efficient for the flight attendants since all they have to do is hand them out then pick up the boxes a while later. Food is acceptable but really more economy than even a low-end business class.
- flight attendants seem inexperienced and while trying to please, are friendly and charming, etc. do not have the fawning/coddling attitude we like to see in first class. Mostly they were not visible and getting a drink, refill or water was difficult at times.
- AND - be aware that there is NO premium section on euro flights. I found this out after upgrading ROM-OAK. When I asked why I could not select a premium seat I was told all flights within Europe are economy only. The ROM-ARN leg (about 3 hours!) was economy all the way, including check in. The only value the upgrade provided on that leg was ability to check a bag, board with an early group and choose a seat online. Beyond that - ZIP.

Overall impression: great value at economy pricing, nice and new planes, but a poor value for premium.
Also, they are planning to take over the world: 250 new planes on order.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.