Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: SPG Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Interesting. Thanks for the reply LS.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
[QUOTE=mknoebel;28259235]I'm just learning about Norwegian and wondering if anyone can help. I am in Denver and I was playing around with some destinations from DEN to Spain in October. There were many flights to Spain, but none returning back to DEN. Any thoughts on why that is?[/QUO

Norwegian doesn't fly a lot of their intra-Europe routes daily.
Old May 3, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Gold
There are no flights back to DEN. Found that odd.
Even stranger - if I go to a site like Momondo it actually shows a return flight to DEN - DY171 from London to DEN. Just not available on the Norwegian site.
Old May 12, 2017, 4:10 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Honors Gold
Originally Posted by mknoebel
There are no flights back to DEN. Found that odd.
Even stranger - if I go to a site like Momondo it actually shows a return flight to DEN - DY171 from London to DEN. Just not available on the Norwegian site.
I now see flights available DEN-LGW in both directions. Though keep in mind that if you are looking for a connecting flight Norwegian does not always allow this. E.g. many routes USA-AMS with a connecting flight are only one-way do to their schedules not allowing for a connection in the other direction.
Old May 19, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum
Has anyone heard anything about the FDF and PTP seasonal routes returning to BOS? I know they will be resuming the seasonal service out of JFK this year but haven't heard anything about BOS and want to jump on the low JFK fares now if BOS isn't returning.

I know loads were low last year in BOS so am worried they are not coming back! We went the last two years running to FDF (my husband is French and spent many a winter vacation there as a kid) and would be bummed if they were not returning.
Old May 26, 2017, 3:23 pm

Anyone tried the bid to upgrade? I think it must be new for Norwegian.

I'm flying around thanksgiving and put a bid in to upgrade to the premium econ seats. The lowest amount I could bid was 170 euros on the way back and $150 on the way there. I think it forces you to use whatever currency you bought the tickets in, which is interesting since the tickets I bought in euros were way $40 cheaper than if I bought them in dollars.
Old May 31, 2017, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thumbs up Positive experience with Norwegian Premium

Recently flew London (Gatwick)-Boston on-way in Norwegian's premium cabin (aka premium economy) for about $675, which was far better than I could get for premium economy on other airlines at fairly short notice. At 46" pitch (and 2-3-2 across) it certainly doesn't compare with other airlines' business class, but certainly beats the general 38" pitch you get for premium economy on British Airways, Air France, etc.

Well, actually, let me qualify that comparison of Norwegian's premium with BA's or UA's business class cabins. Certainly, those two offer lie-flat seating, but with 2-4-2 on some planes they actually feel more cramped and the service isn't anything to write home about. I'm not making an argument to fly Norwegian premium over those other two in business, but for a relatively short westbound transatlantic to the East Coast USA from Europe, I'm not sure the advantage of the lie-flat seat adds up to that much.

Service and systems were fine, with the caveats that check-in (at least for that route) was not possible online and they were quite strict about the 15 kg carry-on bag limit. I was allowed to carry on two bags, but the total weight could not exceed 15 kg.

Lounge at Gatwick was fairly crowded but I could find a seat at a table without any problem. You order free (decent) meals at the bar and they're delivered to your seat. Drinks are also free, though extra charges for premium brands (e.g., prosecco was free but extra charge for champagne).

Beyond that...service on board was friendly and efficient. You can order drinks and food directly from the flight attendants or, more efficiently, via your video monitor. The meal, which was edible (I can't recall anything more), soft drinks and alcohol were free, but you have to pay a few $$ extra (even in premium economy) for snacks, via a credit card slide option on the video monitor.

There was a selection of about 20 movies and maybe slightly more tv shows - not great, but adequate. Video monitor was smallish but picture was fine.

On balance, I'd certainly consider flying them again, especially for a route (about seven hours) that was kind of the equivalent of flying cross-country in the USA westbound.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Recently flew London (Gatwick)-Boston on-way in Norwegian's premium cabin (aka premium economy) for about $675, which was far better than I could get for premium economy on other airlines at fairly short notice. At 46" pitch (and 2-3-2 across) it certainly doesn't compare with other airlines' business class, but certainly beats the general 38" pitch you get for premium economy on British Airways, Air France, etc.

Well, actually, let me qualify that comparison of Norwegian's premium with BA's or UA's business class cabins. Certainly, those two offer lie-flat seating, but with 2-4-2 on some planes they actually feel more cramped and the service isn't anything to write home about. I'm not making an argument to fly Norwegian premium over those other two in business, but for a relatively short westbound transatlantic to the East Coast USA from Europe, I'm not sure the advantage of the lie-flat seat adds up to that much.

Service and systems were fine, with the caveats that check-in (at least for that route) was not possible online and they were quite strict about the 15 kg carry-on bag limit. I was allowed to carry on two bags, but the total weight could not exceed 15 kg.

Lounge at Gatwick was fairly crowded but I could find a seat at a table without any problem. You order free (decent) meals at the bar and they're delivered to your seat. Drinks are also free, though extra charges for premium brands (e.g., prosecco was free but extra charge for champagne).

Beyond that...service on board was friendly and efficient. You can order drinks and food directly from the flight attendants or, more efficiently, via your video monitor. The meal, which was edible (I can't recall anything more), soft drinks and alcohol were free, but you have to pay a few $$ extra (even in premium economy) for snacks, via a credit card slide option on the video monitor.

There was a selection of about 20 movies and maybe slightly more tv shows - not great, but adequate. Video monitor was smallish but picture was fine.

On balance, I'd certainly consider flying them again, especially for a route (about seven hours) that was kind of the equivalent of flying cross-country in the USA westbound.
Thanks for the report report. Likely headed to Rome next spring / summer - and we have enough miles for D1 on the way there (if it stays at 70k with availability on our dates) but been trying to figure out how to get home. With the opening of the Rome routes I'm strongly considering grabbing PE seats for the ride home.

That and my parents will be joining from NYC so I may even advise them to do this on the return as well.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
Thanks for the report report. Likely headed to Rome next spring / summer - and we have enough miles for D1 on the way there (if it stays at 70k with availability on our dates) but been trying to figure out how to get home. With the opening of the Rome routes I'm strongly considering grabbing PE seats for the ride home.

That and my parents will be joining from NYC so I may even advise them to do this on the return as well.
Glad you found it useful. I'm keeping them in mind for similar reasons, such as when we have enough miles for one-way but not enough or don't want to use miles for round-trip.

One additional tip: If you have a carry-on bag that's small enough to put by your feet but big enough to rest your feet on to elevate them, it can come in handy. The reclining seats have one of those basic fold out metal thingies at the end, but it's not too useful or comfortable.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:01 pm
soy

Programs: various
Will D8 allow me to buy 2 seats so as to have an empty seat next to me?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:56 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by soy
Will D8 allow me to buy 2 seats so as to have an empty seat next to me?
Called them up and Yes, just gotta book over the phone (fee). Takes an age and you cannot add an empty seat to an online booking. Would need to cancel and book new.

Also you can buy the +fare for you and the seat only fare for the extra seat.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:30 am

Flying Norwegian for the first time in Feb. Premium JFK-LGW. Right now I am in Row 1, side aisle both flights. Is there any particular advantage to these seats or am I better off moving toward the back of the cabin where I will have a better chane of no one sitting next to me. The primary reason I picked this seat was so that I wouldn't have a seat reclining in front of me. Thanks.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:21 am
J S

Stick with Row 1.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:22 am
J S

Just realized that you posted the same question twice (and I answered twice). In the future, no need to cross post.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:40 am

Sorry if OT, but what does a duty free purchase onboard code as on one's credit card statement? Same as food/beverage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.