Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:07 am

Norwegian HiFly A340-300

Does anyone know if the HiFly A340-300's that Norweigan is leasing have flat beds in their business or first class cabins? Thanks.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It seems Hifly is using -TQY and -TQZ for DY services:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...h-arn-fll.html

The website still shows the two aircraft in 3 class config, but I would assume they have gone two class with the EK 2-3-2 C recliners that you can see in the images.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 1:32 pm

Norwegian Air seating configuration

I'm flying Norwegian Air Flight DY7005 from Stockholm to JFK on July 31 on an Airbus A340-300. We're a family of 3 flying economy.

We have very few seat choices available and SeatGuru doesn't have a seat map. The only groups of 3 seats -- that aren't in the center section -- are in the rear 5 rows (39-43).

From Norwegian's seat map, on the right side of the aircraft from row 39 to the back, it looks like there is an extra wide aisle. Does anyone have any insight into whether those seats offer more comfort?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Has Norwegian (DY) taken delivery of 787's yet?

My gf is booked on an ARN-BKK flight with DY in mid-Sept. that is slated to be operated by a 787. This is connecting to a TG flight BKK-DPS on a different PNR. I am worried that due to Dreamliner issues, DY won't take delivery of these birds on time and her flight will get cocked up at the last minute and we'll have to scramble at great expense to put the itinerary back together. Any word?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Yes - I've flown on it!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...er-2013-a.html

If there are any further delays with the delivery of further 787s, you can assume she'll travel on a leased A340 instead.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...340-300-a.html

It's never a good idea to book separate itineraries like that!

Why not book ARN-CGK on Emirates for SEK3130 ($477) in their current sale instead?

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 6, 2013 at 4:35 am
Old Aug 6, 2013, 7:05 am

Programs: SK*G, TK*G, AB Silver (OW Ruby), SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Why not book ARN-CGK on Emirates for SEK3130 ($477) in their current sale instead?
Maybe - when given the choice - OP's girlfriend prefers Norwegian over an airline based in a country built on slave labour and disrespectful of the basic values of Western civilization?

I might be a bit too harsh but this is one example of what I mean: http://www.euronews.com/2013/07/20/n...ramarital-sex/
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Yes - I've flown on it!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...er-2013-a.html

If there are any further delays with the delivery of further 787s, you can assume she'll travel on a leased A340 instead.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...340-300-a.html

It's never a good idea to book separate itineraries like that!

I'm coming in to BKK from PVG and was trying to get her into BKK early enough in the morning to take the same flight together BKK-DPS. DY fit the bill, and was laughably cheap.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:48 am

Yes, they sell extremely cheap tickets nowadays. It's might partly be because of a personal "vendetta" their managing director allegedly has against arch-enemy SAS, as SAS was convicted of competition espionage against DY a few years ago, as they tried to squeeze DY out of the domestic market. He is so keen on seeing SAS fail, that on the long haul routes he sells fares for next to nothing, as he has much lower operating costs than SAS. Fares from NOK1499 (USD250) one way OSL-BKK non-stop is just crazy, and he flies better aircraft too (in theory atleast, as it is the 787 which have certain issues). They are ofcourse in fierce competion with everyone else too.

Let's hope that your friend won't be delayed into BKK. As I mentioned before, DY have had a few technical problems with their long haul operations start-up, resulting in multiple delays of up to many hours. I bet they have finetuned their operations by now, but don't be surprised if there still are slight deviations from the schedules.

Snacky

Last edited by Snacky; Aug 7, 2013 at 2:19 pm
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by RealBud
Maybe - when given the choice - OP's girlfriend prefers Norwegian over an airline based in a country built on slave labour
And where is DY long-haul different from that?

All DY 778 are registered in Ireland - only for the purpose of being able to hire-in non European crew.

Slave labour is your wording - not mine.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Snacky
Yes, they sell extremely cheap tickets nowadays. It's might partly be because of a personal "vendetta" their managing director allegedly has against arch-enemy SAS, as SAS was convicted of competition espionage against DY a few years ago, as they tried to squeeze DY out of the domestic market. He is so keen on seeing SAS fail, that on the long haul routes he sells fares for next to nothing, as he has much lower operating costs than SAS. Fares from NOK1499 (USD250) one way OSL-BKK non-stop is just crazy, and he flies better aircraft too (in theory atleast, as it is the 787 which have certain issues). They are ofcourse in fierce competion with everyone else too.
Lets see - a random search for CPH-FLL this February gives around DKK 5000 (lowest possible price) return (provided of course that you choose to have bagage along and something to eat on an 11 hour flight!). Same dates would give around DKK 4,500 on SK/LH/UA/BA to MCO or MIA - with sooo many more options on dates and times.

DY has the direct flight. But, DY is not inexpensive at all - but I grant you DY is cheap
Old Aug 7, 2013, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by OFFlyer
Lets see - a random search for CPH-FLL this February gives around DKK 5000 (lowest possible price) return (provided of course that you choose to have bagage along and something to eat on an 11 hour flight!). Same dates would give around DKK 4,500 on SK/LH/UA/BA to MCO or MIA - with sooo many more options on dates and times.

DY has the direct flight. But, DY is not inexpensive at all - but I grant you DY is cheap

Well, I guess we were talking about the routes from OSL/ARN-BKK being ridiculously inexpensive. DY operations to FLL have not yet started, and I suspect that prices will drop on that route too.
Not everybody will order the checked baggage/food-package on DY's flights, so the prices then start around NOK 4000. You can bring a big sandwich or two along, and stuff alot of swimming attire in your 55x40x20 handbaggage for a week in FLL

And, the DY OSL-JFK route starts at NOK999 oneway. You can't beat that.

Snacky

Last edited by Snacky; Aug 7, 2013 at 2:21 pm
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:43 am

Well, I guess we were talking about the routes from OSL/ARN-BKK being ridiculously inexpensive. DY operations to FLL have not yet started, and I suspect that prices will drop on that route too.
Everybody won't order the checked baggage and food-package on DY's flights, so the prices then start around NOK 4000. You can bring a big sandwich or two along, and stuff alot of swimming attire in your 55x40x20 handbaggage for a week in FLL

And, the DY OSL-JFK route starts at NOK999 oneway. You can't beat that.

Snacky
1) Key word "starts" - CPH-FLL also starts at DKK 1899 - very few tickets at those prices.

2) So you are telling me the the average tourist going to Florida for a week will not bring bring more lugage that can fit in the cabin. I do not buy it. You have to add DKK 499 per leg to get lugage and food. If you buy in the airport it wont be cheaper (but likely better) - still you have to add it to the ticket price

3) So you are telling me that they launched the route with the higher pricepoint and the close we get to departure they are likely to lower the price. That would very much the opposite of what DY has been doing so far.

They have one thing working for them - the direct route. Everything else I would take a pass on.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 5:13 am

1) Key word "starts" - CPH-FLL also starts at DKK 1899 - very few tickets at those prices.
As all other airlines do.

2) So you are telling me the the average tourist going to Florida for a week will not bring bring more lugage that can fit in the cabin. I do not buy it. You have to add DKK 499 per leg to get lugage and food. If you buy in the airport it wont be cheaper (but likely better) - still you have to add it to the ticket price
Well, this is a very personal issue. I never travel with checked baggage, unless I absolutely have to. Everyone can make a choice for themselves, and therefore I don't think this should be taken too much into consideration.

3) So you are telling me that they launched the route with the higher pricepoint and the close we get to departure they are likely to lower the price. That would very much the opposite of what DY has been doing so far.
You're forgetting that competition may tighten considerably, when a new carrier turns up on a specific route, and a price war may result. This has been seen many times before.

They have one thing working for them - the direct route. Everything else I would take a pass on.
This is a major advantage for DY. People hate to connect en route, especially if they're infrequent travelers and must navigate unknown airports, and with the added stress in case of delays, most people will avoid this when given a choice and the price difference is marginal.

Snacky

Last edited by Snacky; Aug 7, 2013 at 2:23 pm
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:19 am

As all other airlines do.
Except that DY does quote one way and can not be directly compared to other airlines, as it does not include bagage, meals, seat selection (pretty critical if you travel in a group or as a family)

Well, this is a very personal issue. I never travel with checked baggage, unless I absolutely have to. Everyone can make a choice for themselves, and therefore I don't think this should be taken too much into consideration.
Personal preferences aside the vast majority of transatlantic pax - especially to Florida (which is very little business and very much holiday) would go with checked bagage. Ie this need to be included in the cost of the ticket.

You're forgetting that competition may tighten considerably, when a new carrier turns up on a specific route, and a price war may result. This has been seen before many times.
So a staus quo will develop. Competition lowers, DY lowers, competition lowers, etc. Right now DY is not attractive from a price perspective on CPH-FLL. Something drastic has to happen for them to be

This is major advantage for DY. People hate to connect en route, especially if they're infrequent travelers and must navigate unknown airports, and with the added stress in case of delays, most people will avoid this when given a choice and the price difference is marginal.
Exactly my point.

I am happy to see more competition - and I am happy to see more IC routes out of CPH. ^ And DY certainly knows how to operate the PR machine. Good job.

Personally I have just have had too many poor DY ground service experiences (think SK 5 years ago - just even worse) to have a great crush on DY - or Rudolph Airlines as we like to call them .
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:37 am
Suspended

I managed to travel for three weeks with only carry-on luggage and this included the need to pack clothing as diverse as a tuxedo for NYE, warm clothes for Tokyo in January and summer clothes for Thailand in January. I should hope leisure tourists can cram a weeks worth of swimwear into a carry-on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.