Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Norwegian budget long-haul [news and experience reports]

Old Sep 28, 2013, 9:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
LOT is threatening with litigation to get compensation for the problems. So Boeing may not be all that generous.
http://reuters.com/article/idUSL5N0H...30926?irpc=932
Boeing certainly won't offer to pay up in the absence of being pressured by its contracted counter-parties or some kind of third party to do so. That said, at this point Boeing almost certainly is under pressure to pay up. How much pressure and how much it pays up, well, that's something Boeing probably doesn't want to make very clear if it doesn't have to do so.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 2:48 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by GUWonder
So when it came to passengers hit by such disruptions, did NAS re-book such passengers onto other carriers as under EC 261/2004?
They can't since they have nearly no interline with anyone. Savvy pax book alternatives from their own pocket and ask for reimbursement.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Boeing certainly won't offer to pay up in the absence of being pressured by its contracted counter-parties or some kind of third party to do so. That said, at this point Boeing almost certainly is under pressure to pay up. How much pressure and how much it pays up, well, that's something Boeing probably doesn't want to make very clear if it doesn't have to do so.
Which makes it unlikely that Boeing is just "picking up the tab" for the Highfly leases. Most likely Boeing will be arguing for the comp to be non cash in terms of discount on future purchases.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:04 am

As I'm flying Norwegian's scheduled flight OSL-BKK on october 5th, I wonder what kind of aircraft (or hotel) I will be boarding, when, if at all, and if I'm really lucky, when do I arrive in BKK, and will I get there in time for my next flight, just six and a half hours later (that's nothing nowadays right?). Are the people I'm supposed to yell at easy to find or do they crouch down into a corner shaking? I don't even have a seat reserved (maybe that means I can take any free seat, even "premium" ones?), but hey, there's only a 50/50 chance I will ever get one, even if I paid the 50 bucks to reserve my "favorite" seat

Snacky

Last edited by Snacky; Sep 29, 2013 at 10:22 am
Old Sep 30, 2013, 3:49 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by Snacky
As I'm flying Norwegian's scheduled flight OSL-BKK on october 5th, I wonder what kind of aircraft (or hotel) I will be boarding, when, if at all, and if I'm really lucky, when do I arrive in BKK, and will I get there in time for my next flight, just six and a half hours later (that's nothing nowadays right?).
OK, first up, get someone to kick you for booking a flight to connect from a LCC. BAD idea.

Second, get travel insurance (if its not to late). DY cannot rebook you onto anything else nor influence any subsequent booking.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 4:31 am

First of all, my post was ment in a humorous way. And, don't you think that 6.5 hours ought to be enough to be able to connect? LCCs that delay their passengeres by that magnitude on a regular basis shouldn't be allowed to operate in my opinion. I'm sure I can change to a later flight, atleast as far as I can read in the fare rules for my connecting flight (with Bangkok Airways), it should only cost me THB2000 and I'm very thoroughly insured. But, I don't expect to be delayed, I'm sure DY will be on top of things by Saturday

Snacky
Old Sep 30, 2013, 5:59 am

As I'm flying Norwegian's scheduled flight OSL-BKK on october 5th, I wonder what kind of aircraft (or hotel) I will be boarding, when, if at all, and if I'm really lucky, when do I arrive in BKK, and will I get there in time for my next flight, just six and a half hours later (that's nothing nowadays right?). Are the people I'm supposed to yell at easy to find or do they crouch down into a corner shaking? I don't even have a seat reserved (maybe that means I can take any free seat, even "premium" ones?), but hey, there's only a 50/50 chance I will ever get one, even if I paid the 50 bucks to reserve my "favorite" seat

Snacky
Good luck - and you will need all you can get hold of.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 6:00 am

LCCs that delay their passengeres by that magnitude on a regular basis shouldn't be allowed to operate in my opinion.
The way things are going with DY, you will be late. I'm certain its not the choice of DY, but thats how things are running right now...
Old Sep 30, 2013, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
They can't since they have nearly no interline with anyone.
DY doesn't need an interline agreement to re-book passengers by purchasing tickets on another carrier's ticket stock. What I'm curious about is if DY has done such a thing before.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 4:30 pm

Reuters bangs the DY drum some more:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...98S0HR20130930

Just checked, SK/TG/LH for example don't accept anything in DY ticket stock. So DY would have to all up LH/SK/TG to book an actual ticket on the operating carriers stock. DY is very clear to agents:

NORWEGIAN DOES NOT HAVE INTERLINE AGREEMENT WITH ANY OTHER AIRLINES
Old Oct 1, 2013, 2:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Reuters bangs the DY drum some more:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...98S0HR20130930

Just checked, SK/TG/LH for example don't accept anything in DY ticket stock. So DY would have to all up LH/SK/TG to book an actual ticket on the operating carriers stock. DY is very clear to agents:
I am quite familiar with that, but it doesn't answer my question.

The question is one about whether or not DY has a history of having rebooked customers by buying tickets on other carriers' ticket stock when required under EC 261/2004.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:52 am

Their massive current long hauls problems aside, I am wondering:

Norwegian currently run a massive online campaign stating DKK 1,499 for a one way to New York from CPH. That is DKK 2,998 for a return plus of course DKK 998 for bagage, meals and a seat = DKK 3,996.
Why is this such a great deal?

With most legacy carriers I can get to NYC for the same amount - even SK is close (DKK 4,299 to EWR and 3,999 to IAD and ORD).
Why would I go with DY to save a (very) few bucks - and then tolerate their horendous ground service??

I do not get it.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by OFFlyer

Norwegian currently run a massive online campaign stating DKK 1,499 for a one way to New York from CPH. That is DKK 2,998 for a return plus of course DKK 998 for bagage, meals and a seat = DKK 3,996.

With most legacy carriers I can get to NYC for the same amount - even SK is close (DKK 4,299 to EWR and 3,999 to IAD and ORD).
Why would I go with DY to save a (very) few bucks - and then tolerate their horendous ground service??

I do not get it.
For CPH-NYC, I often travel without anything more than my laptop/backpack that can go in the overhead bins or even under the seat in front of me; and taking my own food and water bottles is fine by me on the flight to NYC. Less than $300 one-way isn't bad, but it probably is not low enough to get me to use them instead of a regular paid ticket of some sort that earns me miles in a program from an airline in one of the big 3 airline alliances.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 1:31 am

Thats the basic LCC concept: catch them with the low price and the nickel and dime the pax with add ons.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 2:38 am

Programs: Eurobonus
Originally Posted by OFFlyer

I do not get it.
What makes you think that the NYC-CPH flight is the same price as CPH-NYC ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.