Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair - Unwelcome "entertainment"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum

I used to think that Ryanair was an OK "bare bones" experience as long as there were no irrops ... but my flight from Rabat to Stansted yesterday might have changed my view. A cheeky, cockney flight attendant from hell took it upon himself to create some entertainment for the passengers:

For the first hour or so of the flight, he kept up a constant stream of "humourous" announcements throughout the flight. For example - "I know from the looks that you've been givin' me that either a) you fancy me or b) you're starvin' 'ungry and so I'm delighted to let you know about the delicious, fantastic, food that we've laid on for you all, wot Jamie Oliver cooked up this mornin' at my mum's place after cookin' her breakfast ... We've got the most famous food from Italy, which is what the Italians like to eat for breakfast, dinner and tea ... that's Lasagne, and we've got the most famous food from France, which is .... "
Naturally, this meant that it took him about 15 minutes to describe the Ryanair menu ...

This wannabe Jim Davidson was even less charming in person than he was over the PA. As he made his way through the cabin, for example, he took the time, for example, to tell someone wearing a Liverpool FC badge that "I hate Liverpool. I'd rather see Arsenal win. I really can't stand Liverpool. Worse than Manchester United." Perhaps he was expecting the Liverpool chap to embrace him as a fellow admirer of the beautiful game. But the surly scouse git wasn't playing ball ... Those Liverpool fans - No sense of humour. *

Later in the flight, our cockney rebel announces that it's someone's birthday and he wants us all to sing, clap, wave our hands and cheer as she walks down to the back of the plane to the song "Simply the best" played over the PA. Sadly, most of the passengers appeared to be very eager to join in. Later, I heard this girl's friends discussing this. They were delighted. Apparently, it wasn't her birthday but the crew member had asked them who wanted to "have a bit of fun" on the flight.

At 10:15pm, another crew member announced that the lights were being dimmed for the duration of the flight and only safety announcements would be made. So we had about an hour of peace before the twit chirped up again with a "humorous" take on the landing announcement.

On arrival at Stansted, I got to experience the annoying new enhancements.

Thanks for reading my little rant ... I anticipate the usual "What do you expect, if you fly Chav air?" type comments. And they're all fine. But here are two questions that I'd really like to ask the good and great of Flyertalk:

1) Does this sort of thing regularly happen on Ryanair? It was a first for me.
2) Is there any point in writing to Ryanair to tell them about this bell-end? Since the airline claims to be trying not to "unnecessarily p*** off" its customers, I kind of hope that someone might be interested. But perhaps I'm just kidding myself.

*(Lest someone take a dim view of my use of "scouse git" - This is my projection of what the flight attendant may have been thinking. I'm proud to consider myself one quarter Scouse and I don't think Scousers are gits - not even the less cultured ones who support Liverpool).
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, HiltonH, AA Advantage
RYANAIR

Oh I sympathise, I do. A sober reminder of why I should not fly with them. Is this kind of thing usual? Is it to save money on IFE? I'd rather watch the tiny 'plane travel across the screen to it's destination on the 'real time' flight nav...

Not everyone flying with them is vacationing and not all vacationers want this kind of 'entertainment'. Then again, not all Cockneys burst into spontaneous song in unlikely places!
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by langham123
Is this kind of thing usual? Is it to save money on IFE? I'd rather watch the tiny 'plane travel across the screen to it's destination on the 'real time' flight nav...
Thanks for the sympathy.

I'm trying to think how many roundtrips I've flown with Ryanair over the years. I guess it must be about 10 (?) And this is the first time I've come across such an irritating FA. So I know it's not Ryanair policy for FAs to be so "hyper" but I'm not sure how often this sort of thing happens.

As for watching "the tiny plane" on a Ryanair flight, you'll only be able to do that if you bring your own tiny plane. Our flight from Rabat was about 3.5 hours, so you could put a toy plane on one side of your tray table and move it a centimeter or two every few minutes. If you brought along a pack of cards too, you could upgrade to a dual mode entertainment system with route progress display AND a solitaire game. I usually just bring a book. It's all the entertainment I need for such a short flight.

Last edited by jib71; Nov 1, 2014 at 9:20 am
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by jib71
1) Does this sort of thing regularly happen on Ryanair? It was a first for me.
2) Is there any point in writing to Ryanair to tell them about this bell-end? Since the airline claims to be trying not to "unnecessarily p*** off" its customers, I kind of hope that someone might be interested. But perhaps I'm just kidding myself.

(1) I've never experienced anything remotely of the sort you describe when flying on Ryanair. The cabin crew have just made the required announcements in a straightforward manner and that's it.

(2) Yes, I'd suggest there is point in writing to Ryanair about him. Apart from anything else, he seems to be quite contrary to the new Ryanair image they're going for (e.g. more business friendly, no longer wantonly rude, fewer PA announcements/ interruptions etc).

Ryanair online contact form

Postal address:
Ryanair Customer Service Department
PO Box 11451
Swords
Co Dublin
Ireland

97p stamp needed from the UK (for "international standard" delivery) - two second class stamps (value of 53p each) would suffice.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Mizter T
(1) I've never experienced anything remotely of the sort you describe when flying on Ryanair. The cabin crew have just made the required announcements in a straightforward manner and that's it.

(2) Yes, I'd suggest there is point in writing to Ryanair about him. Apart from anything else, he seems to be quite contrary to the new Ryanair image they're going for (e.g. more business friendly, no longer wantonly rude, fewer PA announcements/ interruptions etc).

Ryanair online contact form

Postal address:
Ryanair Customer Service Department
PO Box 11451
Swords
Co Dublin
Ireland

97p stamp needed from the UK (for "international standard" delivery) - two second class stamps (value of 53p each) would suffice.
That seems rather harsh considering the OP made it sound like the majority of customers seemed to enjoy it.

If it happened regularly then I could see how it would get on their nerves, but it happened once.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by callum9999
That seems rather harsh considering the OP made it sound like the majority of customers seemed to enjoy it.

If it happened regularly then I could see how it would get on their nerves, but it happened once.
I'm sure that the fact that it can happen and is allowed by the airline is enough for some passengers (including me) to go on avoiding them. So in light of Ryanairs's new strategy, they should be interested...
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:04 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You have my sympathy.

Ryanair has its uses, particularly when you're flying region-to-region, but noise cancelling headphones or earbuds are a necessity!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Originally Posted by callum9999

It probably happens regularly on the flight that FA is on...

It would P me off so I'd report it. It's not a holiday charter where you might expect such behaviour...
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Be happy that he didn't have to repeat everything in 2 different languages!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Stunned to find this little thread featured in TalkMail 11.25.14!

I hope my little rant brings a smile to your faces.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA~AA~HH~Hyatt~WN
Reading this reminded me of how Southwest was years ago (they've gotten more formal now)! I also find this annoying and inappropriate.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:27 am

This happened to me about 6 weeks ago (domestic UK flight). Must have been the same FA, he used nearly the exact same phrases. Flown maybe 6-8 segments with Ryanair since and not had any more problems.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
I actually encountered such an FA once on an EZY flight from MST to SXF. Fortunately, that was just a one hour flight. Unfortunately, he also got to do the safety briefing: "In case of landing on water, put on your life vest and shake your booty!"
That kind of humor.

It was nice for a change, though. Better than those grumpy cats at SAS, at least, as long as it's not happening every time.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by northsider
Reading this reminded me of how Southwest was years ago (they've gotten more formal now)! I also find this annoying and inappropriate.
I was thinking the same thing about my Southwest experiences, a downer to experience and a bigger downer that some passengers enjoy and encourage it.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
I have never experiencd anything like that on Ryanair. Quite honestly, their EDI cabin crew are the most professional, friendly and good humoured operating out of EDI. I can cite some terrible examples from some higher priced rivals.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.