Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

CSA - OKPlus New Rules for Mileage Expiration

Old Apr 24, 12, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; UA1k; B6 Mosiac; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire

Got an e-mail today with the following:

EFFECTIVE MAY 1, 2012

MILEAGE EXPIRATION:
The validity of each mile shall be newly limited for 24 months from the date of your flight or using of partner services. Should these miles not be used during this period, the miles shall expire automatically.

At the same time, the validity of all miles expires (irrespective of the date of their crediting) no later than 24 months after the last OK flight operated by Czech Airlines was taken. Should this condition not be met, all the miles on the account shall expire automatically.

Does anyone know if they will apply this retro-actively? What if you have no flight on CSA in the past 24 months? Do your miles expire immediately on May 1 ?
Old Apr 25, 12, 1:58 am

Programs: M&M SEN + OW Gold + HH Gold + Club Carlson Gold + SPG Gold
If I where you I would spend all my miles on "Friday" because with the current CSA administration, they could file bankruptcy on "Monday"... ... are they doing actually???

I was flying CSA a lot from 2005-2009, and it was a quality carrier with a reality attractive b-program if you are bound to travel to eastern-european destination. Afterwards it all went in one direction.
Old Apr 25, 12, 5:16 am

I took notes after calling them today:

All miles collected before October 1st 2010: These will expire on 31st of September 2012 if not used before.

All miles collected after October 1st 2010: 24 months from the date they were collected, starting October 1st 2012.

No way to prevent expiration.

30'000 miles for free ticket in economy from Switzerland to Estonia.

Ca 40 Euro to transfer 5'000 miles, 5'000 minimum. You can pay with miles 1 / 1 but not sure how this works ...
Old Apr 26, 12, 12:47 am
Original Poster

When I log in, it shows me an expiration date on my miles. Can that be trusted?
Old Apr 26, 12, 1:58 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Terrible way of annouching and enforcing

Again, some illogical and uncustomer friendly way to handle this. How can they expect customers to finish all their miles before the end of Sept 30?

I have >300k of miles and this will take me sometime to use it all up when their availability is so poor even when trying to book 6 months ahead!

On the other hand, this does give me a good way to empty my account and leave the program for good.

Cheers!
Old Apr 26, 12, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by 1k650 View Post
When I log in, it shows me an expiration date on my miles. Can that be trusted?
I believe that is still based on the current system, any activity will prolong the expiry by 36 months (or 24 months?).

Cheers!
Old Apr 26, 12, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nldogbert View Post
Again, some illogical and uncustomer friendly way to handle this. How can they expect customers to finish all their miles before the end of Sept 30?

I have >300k of miles and this will take me sometime to use it all up when their availability is so poor even when trying to book 6 months ahead!

On the other hand, this does give me a good way to empty my account and leave the program for good.

Cheers!
What are the best redemption options to empty an account? I have approx. 70k miles...
Old Jul 2, 12, 5:39 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles (silver), Norwegian, SAS, ČSA OK Plus, Priority Pass
The best option is always getting the award ticket. But CSA now charges INSANE taxes and fees, so you may as well buy a regular ticket for almost the same price. Try looking at their special montly offers, they pick destinations to fly to for 1/2 of the miles.
Old Jul 20, 12, 1:47 am

Finally: Leaving OK+

With this mileage expiry, took this opportunity and have wiped out all my miles in the last 3 months for 1 award Biz ticket to Korea, 2 award tickets in Biz to South America for Christmas period. Leaving only 840 miles in the account, will most probably donate it to the Czech Paralympics.

Am happy to leave the program (2nd time) though on the other hand, a bit sad now that their call center people are much much better and friendlier to handle and also this was my first FF program and also where I first gained status on any alliance.

Goodbye OK+. Thanks for the good times and bad ones!

Cheers!
Old Aug 6, 12, 4:38 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Does anybody know if you can change the dates/routing of the award ticket after the date that the miles will have expired?

The award will be booked while the miles are still valid and unexpired, of course.

Thanks,
Bostonbali
Old Aug 6, 12, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Delta Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by bostonbali View Post
Does anybody know if you can change the dates/routing of the award ticket after the date that the miles will have expired?

The award will be booked while the miles are still valid and unexpired, of course.

Thanks,
Bostonbali
I think you should be able:

Changes permitted to a ticket before departure: flight number, date of flight, and routing within the same zone

Changes permitted to a ticket before the inbound trip: flight number, date of flight