Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ryanair is the WORST!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Ryanair is the WORST!!

So, I had to reissue my ticket since I added more baggage. I called up and said I didn't have a printer to print my boarding passes out. She told me "No problem, just print as a PDF to your phone".

I get to Ryanair and they charge me 120 euros for no boarding pass DESPITE me having it on my phone!!!!! And their agent telling me it would be OK!!! (60 pp)

I'm going to complain, but what I've heard about them, it won't really matter much. Anyone have any good Ryanair stories?

Thank you!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Who told you a .pdf would be fine on your phone? I'd be hugely surprised if the Ryanair call centre did.

All they have ever accepted is single side A4..
Old Apr 19, 2012, 3:36 am

Programs: BA KL
I agree - I've never heard of anyone using an electronic version. A quick check on the website might have saved you 120 euros I'm afraid.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 3:59 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
A bit sympathy from my side: If an airline charges me 120 Euro for "reprinting" my boarding pass I would never ever set foot on one of their planes again. This is just very wrong. Another example of how customer-unfriendly their business model is.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 4:02 am

Ryan Air are still in business becuase people are short sighted. Not saying the OP is obviously, more a general conclusion.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 6:51 am
Original Poster

I did check the website, why do you think I called? to confirm and see if there was an alternative?

I would have found a way to print it out if they told me I absolutely needed it. I mean if you call up their centre and someone tells you something, the natural thing to do is trust what the company says?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by colmc
Who told you a .pdf would be fine on your phone? I'd be hugely surprised if the Ryanair call centre did.

All they have ever accepted is single side A4..
As I said, the Ryanair call centre.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Is it possible that there was a simple misunderstanding during the phone call? They may have meant that you should save the PDF on your phone and carry that with you until such time as you were in a location where you could then print the boarding pass.

While I sympathise with you, Ryanair make absolutely no secret of the fact that they charge a punitive fee for having boarding passes issued at the airport - and further that the boarding passes have to be presented on paper, printed one-sided, and clearly legible. You should never (in any instance) rely on an undocumented oral assurance when all the written evidence clearly states the opposite.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Is it in the rules that you need to print the BP first? Yes. That doesn't make it any less absurd. Totally agree with ralfkrippner.

On all the times I need to fly cheaply intraEurope, it's policies like these that make me never consider Ryanair. They lose probably 500-1000 euros/yr because I'm not confident enough in my ability to avoid accidentally incurring some asinine charge.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: KE MC
ryainair business model

perhaps it would be good to look at ryanair's business model http://www.air-scoop.com/pdf/Ryanair...Scoop_2011.pdf

it's all about generating revenue from additional services (other than flights) and forcing everyone to go to court against them. i refuse to fly with them.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
You certainly need to know in advance how best to handle the Ryanair experience and how to prepare for a Ryanair flight. As long as you can get a bargain-basement fare on a route you want to travel (and don't check in luggage, exceed your cabin baggage allowance, or do anything else that incurs fees) and are prepared for the (often) far-out-of-town airports (don't forget to factor in the often considerable transport costs - and time - associated with this), and (mentally) prepared for the scramble for seats, the (lack of?) service, the total intransigence and inflexibility, etc, it's fine. There are lots of rules but they are well published and as long as you don't expect them to shown any leniency - i.e. don't put yourself in a position where you don't meet all their rules - then you will have no problem with them and can often get a good deal.

In all other cases - you're probably better off considering an alternate transport option!
Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:48 am

The issue here is that the OP was given incorrect information on the phone (and I have no reason to think that he is making it up). This is unacceptable no matter how much or how little one pays for one's ticket.

Do Ryanair record telephone calls?

And I don't understand why the agent would have misinformed him. Was she a new employee who previously worked for another airline and got confused between her old job and her new one? Or was it an outright revenue-generating lie?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Aviatrix

Do Ryanair record telephone calls?
I would assume so - many airlines do. Why not draft a short letter - include invoice - and request reimbursement. Indicate you would like to receive copy of your call with agent.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:36 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:33 pm
Old Apr 19, 2012, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
A bit sympathy from my side: If an airline charges me 120 Euro for "reprinting" my boarding pass I would never ever set foot on one of their planes again. This is just very wrong. Another example of how customer-unfriendly their business model is.
^

I wonder if this exists:

If I managed a shop right next to their check-in areas, I would have a big sign offering to print boarding passes for a few Euros. Make some money for the shop, help sell other items and not have every customer hate my company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.