Ryanair is the WORST!!

Old Apr 29, 2012, 2:34 am

Boiler Plate

What you got was the standard check-in fee letter. They probably don't even read letters - they just look for key words and then pick out a boiler-plate letter according to those key words. They're not alone in this, I've seen other companies do the same. It's standard fobbing-off technique which probably gets rid of at least half the people that write in with a complaint.

I've found with other companies that use this technique that if you write back and point out the inappropriateness of their reply they will THEN read your original letter and reply to it. My standard opening phrase is something like "Thank you for you letter of [date] which does not address any of the points I made" before going on to highlight the specific points that they failed to answer.

This may or may not work for Ryanair... Ryanair being Ryanair you may well have to write more than once, or they will continue to send their standard boiler plate letter regardless of how many times you write back, but it's worth a try.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:24 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
We all wanted low fares, right?

So now we have low fares with all the consequences - GBP60.00 late check-in fees, GBP50.00 too large hand baggage fees...

If you stick to their rules, you can fly for a few GBP, otherwise you pay outrageous fees...
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
We all wanted low fares, right?

So now we have low fares with all the consequences - GBP60.00 late check-in fees, GBP50.00 too large hand baggage fees...

If you stick to their rules, you can fly for a few GBP, otherwise you pay outrageous fees...
If you followed this thread from the beginning you should know that it's primarily about the OP having acted, in good faith, on incorrect information provided by a Ryanair employee over the phone.
Old May 13, 2012, 5:15 am

Unhappy The 60euro robbery

I have recently incurred in the 60euro robbery for not having a printed boarding pass.
Just a few things to add (or repeat!) to the topic:
1) Ryanair regularly (twice this year) do not send me a confirmation e-mail upon booking: this way you are forced to call them and spend money and time on the phone... plus you are more likely to forget printing your boarding pass.
2) I did check in online, on my way to the airport.
3) After this practise was court-banned, at least in Spain, they are ready to stand as an out-law company.
4) I had the pass on my phone, that didn't help (I could have gone through security with that, but then they would have stopped me at the gate, I guess).
Please post on this blog any news on this topic, I will not give up and want my money back: there will be court rulings in more countries, they will eventually be forced to give compensations (do keep your receipts).
To prevent from the comments of those genius about getting what you pay for: I didn't choose the company, just the only possible option to go from A to B at reasonable times (anyhow paying 200euro).
Old May 13, 2012, 2:39 pm

Lucarusso, welcome to Flyertalk!

I'm no fan of Ryanair, and I avoid flying with them these days, and it is very rare for me to defend them... but:

Originally Posted by lucarusso
Ryanair regularly (twice this year) do not send me a confirmation e-mail upon booking: this way you are forced to call them and spend money and time on the phone... plus you are more likely to forget printing your boarding pass.
I have no reason to doubt your statement that you did not receive confirmation emails on two occasions... but why are you saying that you were forced to call them because of that? You don't need a confirmation email... all you need is your booking reference. If your screen said "Booking complete - booking reference ABC123" then that's your proof of booking, you don't need anything else. And why should the lack of an email make it more likely that you forget to check in? Checking in is your responsibility, if there is no email you just have to make a note in your diary (or check in immediately after booking, if you're close enough to the date of departure)

2) I did check in online, on my way to the airport.
But you didn't print a boarding pass, right?

4) I had the pass on my phone, that didn't help (I could have gone through security with that, but then they would have stopped me at the gate, I guess).
The OP was in the same situation, but he had been (wrongly) told on the phone that an electronic boarding pass was acceptable. Did you phone Ryanair, and did they give you the same incorrect information?

To prevent from the comments of those genius about getting what you pay for: I didn't choose the company, just the only possible option to go from A to B at reasonable times (anyhow paying 200euro).
I have paid similar amounts for Ryanair flights on two occasions, both emergencies when I had to get from A to B in a hurry and there was no other choice. I wouldn't pay that kind of money if there is a choice, even if the alternative is less convenient.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:48 pm

I flew Ryanair for the first time a couple weeks ago, SXF-RYG. Must say I was very pleasantly surprised as I was expecting hell on earth. I had to check in at the desk to have my papers stamped since I have a US passport. I had no issues whatsoever and the price couldn't be beat. Follow the rules and it's a helluva deal.
Old May 14, 2012, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by largeeyes
Follow the rules and it's a helluva deal.
That's exactly it.

Ryanair is not a great choice for infrequent/first-time/unprepared/DYKWIA-type fliers, or even just those people who are used to full-service airlines.

But if you play by their rules, there are some fantastic bargains to be had.
Old May 18, 2012, 4:01 am
Original Poster

I'll pay more money not to fly them now. Their loss. I fly quite a bit within Europe.

I sent them a response to their non-action and the fact they did not even address my issue and have had no response over a month later.

I am currently in a dispute with my card company over it.
Cross your fingers I win.

Thanks for everyone's comments and feedback!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.