Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > easyJet | easyJet Plus
Reload this Page >

Easyjet: does the gate really "close" 30 minutes before departure?

Old Feb 13, 2012, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have a 7 am Easyjet flight out of LGW. My boarding pass says the gate closes at 6:30. Is there any chance that will get enforced? I'm actually staying at the airport that night and planned to arrive at the gate at 6:30 (sleep being a good thing) but I'll leave extra time for security (it's not bad at LGW at 6 in the morning, right?) if there's a real chance they won't let me fly if I'm a couple minutes late.

I thought Easyjet was trying to be a "no hassle" low cost airline. This seems like hassle to me.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
The trick with most London airport nowadays is to make sure you have your boarding pass scanned at the entrance to security no later than 30 mins before departure time. This is very strict and a 30 sec delay can result in a missed flight. Once past this hurdle though, it very much depends on whether the flight is on time/crowded, etc...

Out of experience with Easyjet, Ryanair, etc, if you make it to the gate around 15-20 mins before departure you will be fine.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RafKa
The trick with most London airport nowadays is to make sure you have your boarding pass scanned at the entrance to security no later than 30 mins before departure time. This is very strict and a 30 sec delay can result in a missed flight.
Where do you get that from? There is conformance at T5 at LHR at T-35mins with BA and, apparently, Luton is also introducing a similar system. Other airports, however, do not have such rules, AFAIK.

To the OP, the rule means that they COULD refuse to let you board if boarding was finished by that stage. I do not recall, however, boarding being finished that early.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by NickB
Where do you get that from? There is conformance at T5 at LHR at T-35mins with BA and, apparently, Luton is also introducing a similar system. Other airports, however, do not have such rules, AFAIK.
Hmm... I assumed, as security scans your BP at LHR T3 and LGW. Never bothered to ask about it but just assumed it was the same procedure as T5. Personally, I wouldn't take a chance going through security past this "virtual" cut-off though...
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: BD,Skyteam,QF
Hmm... I assumed, as security scans your BP at LHR T3 and LGW. Never bothered to ask about it but just assumed it was the same procedure as T5. Personally, I wouldn't take a chance going through security past this "virtual" cut-off though...
Do none of you folks watch the airport TV programs? There is one dedicated to Easyjet (ok, I only watch occasionally as ranting passengers who have missed their flights upset me).

Easyjet is an immovable object with regard to its times. I wouldn't risk it
under any circumstances.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by measures
Do none of you folks watch the airport TV programs? There is one dedicated to Easyjet (ok, I only watch occasionally as ranting passengers who have missed their flights upset me).

Easyjet is an immovable object with regard to its times. I wouldn't risk it
under any circumstances.
Especially if there is a camera crew there !
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
There are scans at LHR T4 as well, but I'm pretty sure they don't do anything other than eliminate the comical American TSA-style scrutinizing of a BP with an automated process. (For instance, the agents at LHR do not need to have large-print strips of paper saying 'MONDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 2012' on the podiums in front of them like I recently noticed at IAD.) I've never cut it close enough to care if that scan registers with the carriers, and the only posted timelines I've seen for ST carriers operating out of T4 is bag drop cut-offs. (Which AF/KL just increased from 30 minutes to 40 minutes.)
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by measures
Oh yes, I have seen it. And it has confirmed my believe that the orange airline and it's LCC brethren are best avoided at all cost.
Gigantor likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:11 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
I have certainly heard stories about Easyjet starting boarding very early in order to try to leave before the planned time. In such a case I would suspect that they stick to the 30 minute rule with split second precision. Dont try it!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OK, so if I don't want some unlikely but really frustrating thing to happen to me, I have to make sure I'm at the Easyjet gate at 6:30 am for my 7 am flight.

Which will undoubtedly annoy me, because the odds that I REALLY need to be there precisely by that time seem extremely low.

Next time, maybe I'll take the train.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
They will stick to the deadline when it suits them.

In fact, the first flight of the day, when everything is ready on time and there hasn't been the opportunity for delays to build up, is the perfect opportunity to close up and get away ASAP.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:51 am

From the easyJet website:
[...] Please note the boarding gate closes 30 minutes prior to departure and certain airports are subject to different check-in desk and gate closure times. [...]
I concur with what mad_rich says above - they like to get their pax on the plane and be ready to roll ASAP. As they say elsewhere, 'if you're late, we won't wait'...

Last edited by Mizter T; Feb 13, 2012 at 11:56 am
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by iahphx
OK, so if I don't want some unlikely but really frustrating thing to happen to me, I have to make sure I'm at the Easyjet gate at 6:30 am for my 7 am flight.

Which will undoubtedly annoy me, because the odds that I REALLY need to be there precisely by that time seem extremely low.

Next time, maybe I'll take the train.
Can't you just get there at 0620 ?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Can't you just get there at 0620 ?
Yup, but, as you know, you can't time a gate arrival precisely. A "drop dead" time of 6:30 to potentially miss your flight is a lot different than planning on arriving at 6:30 -- and will definitely mean less sleep.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
IME, 30 minutes is not a hard deadline. I think they are just trying to get you to the gate by then, so they can get you on board promptly (or at least lined up in pairs holding hands waiting outside to board the plane) under threat of dire consequences.

Frequently turned up at less than 30 mins to go and joined the end of the queue without any issues.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.