Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

What's flying with Ryanair really like?

What's flying with Ryanair really like?

Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:34 am

Airport staff are being offered a 50p bonus for every Ryanair passenger they catch with excess baggage, under a scheme which will mean holidaymakers no longer get the benefit of the doubt.

Good on Ryanair. If people want low fares then they should conform to the rules
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:51 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by telegraph.co.uk
Airport staff are being offered a 50p bonus for every Ryanair passenger they catch with excess baggage
Not much of a bonus, but suppose it can add up ....

EmailKid
Old Nov 14, 2011, 6:40 pm
Bukhara

mmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by Bukhara; Jul 23, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Old Nov 15, 2011, 3:39 am

Wizz Air seems to have worse baggage naz!s than Ryan Air.

I have flown Ryan quite a bit and never had any real problems. My carryon fits into their sizer, the flights have been on time, and I usually can get on board in time to get an exit row window seat without paying for early boarding.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:15 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Having flown legacy carriers (mainly *A) for several years now I had a bit of a culture shock when I got on a Ryanair flight. A bit of a scrum when it came to boarding and I was really glad I didn't check any luggage when I saw the queue at the bag drop. That aside though, it was cheap, it was on time and it went from my nearest airport to the airport nearest where I needed to be. If any of those boxes hadn't of been ticked then I wouldn't have done it.

Lesson is, know what you're getting yourself into and pick your airline according to you needs.

On a lighter note... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAg0lUYHHFc
Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:35 am

My least favorite airline, I'm close to say that I hate them.
Got myself a prepaid Mastercard in order not to pay their crazy 6 booking charge for using a credit card. It is not a booking charge, because when you purchase a round trip fare for two people you pay 6 per person per route = 24. Not from me!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:59 am

Sorry wrong post..
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:30 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Flew on them for the first time in ages a few weeks ago. It was fine - rather like taking a bus.

You do have to play the game, and never trust a price until you get to the final screen. You need to expect zero flexibility, and zero contingency.

However, you get an OK seat and a pretty efficient operation (that has managed to get an impressive on-time rating given the quick turnarounds). Unlike easyJet (who still do the "please remain seated" routine while they prepare the flight), they know people will want to queue, and lay out cordons accordingly. Want to choose your seat? Queue or pay up for priority boarding.

When it works, it's fine - like I say, rather like taking a bus. Unremarkable.

When it goes wrong... Ah. Then you're on your own.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:53 pm

Programs: Free Agent
I flew them last year. Basically, ride a bus for an hour and a half, wait in line to get on a bus with wings, get to another place and transfer to another bus for another hour and a half ride to where you want to be.

It's not THAT bad, but there are lots of gotchas and lots of time wasted in transit.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 5:22 pm

Programs: AC*E, Accor Platinum, Hilton Silver
Yea... it's pretty much just like riding public transit bus. Just as fun and just as comfortable. :-)
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by SeattleFlyerGuy
I flew them last year. Basically, ride a bus for an hour and a half, wait in line to get on a bus with wings, get to another place and transfer to another bus for another hour and a half ride to where you want to be.

It's not THAT bad, but there are lots of gotchas and lots of time wasted in transit.
You forgot the bit about sitting through five or six rounds of hard sell on board.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 3:44 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
That's why the best supplementary fee for any Ryanair flight is a packet of wax earplugs from Boots.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by stut
That's why the best supplementary fee for any Ryanair flight is a packet of wax earplugs from Boots.
... or an Ipod with noise-cancelling headphones. Not as cheap as the earplugs, but much more pleasant
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by tiger302
My least favorite airline, I'm close to say that I hate them.
Got myself a prepaid Mastercard in order not to pay their crazy 6 booking charge for using a credit card. It is not a booking charge, because when you purchase a round trip fare for two people you pay 6 per person per route = 24. Not from me!
Except now you have to get a Ryanair branded pre-paid card - which has even more rules and restrictions on it which makes it very hard not to end up paying Ryanair for it's use.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: TK*G (Elite+)
Originally Posted by alanR
Except now you have to get a Ryanair branded pre-paid card - which has even more rules and restrictions on it which makes it very hard not to end up paying Ryanair for it's use.
Yup - all the famous Neteller and Moneybookers cards became useless - as they are issued in UK, now treated with commision.

Luckily MC Prepaid issued in Poland by Bank Zachodni WBK are still working - but who knows how long...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.