FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other European Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-european-airlines-469/)
-   -   Minimum Connection Time at TXL (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-european-airlines/1214988-minimum-connection-time-txl.html)

worldbound May 12, 2011 9:32 pm

Minimum Connection Time at TXL

Hello - I am eyeing a flight on Air Berlin MIA-TXL-FCO that has a 55 minute connection time at TXL. I have read that the airport is quite small and easy to navigate, but I would imagine that this is all relative. Can this realistically be done, with both myself AND my luggage making the flight to Rome?

Thanks!

KIXJNB May 13, 2011 4:57 am

This can be done easily.
Maybe you won't even need to leave the Air Berlin-only Terminal C gates. All AB Italy flights I have been on left from there - and the big intercontinental Airbus is also always parked there. Basically, one big warehouse-like building.

I wouldn't worry.

Xandrios May 13, 2011 5:56 am

Isnt there a need to pass through passport / visa control when arriving from the states? Hence possibly another terminal?

worldbound May 13, 2011 7:39 am

Thanks for your kind responses....hadn't thought of the passport/visa control issue - would this apply even though I am only connecting there?

KIXJNB May 14, 2011 4:58 am

Yes, there will be immigration at TXL, because you will be entering the common "Schengen area" of borderless travel. Both, Germany and Italy, are part of this.

Your connection from TXL to FCO will be treated just like a domestic flight.

There is immigration at the C terminal. AB handle their Russia flights there, as well.

worldbound May 14, 2011 5:00 pm

Ahhhh...thanks so much!

KIXJNB May 16, 2011 3:33 am

Originally Posted by worldbound (Post 16386517)
Ahhhh...thanks so much!

Happy we could help - and welcome to Flyertalk.
Hope you stick around!

worldbound May 16, 2011 7:11 am

Thanks for the warm welcome, and your kind help! Loads of good info here - I KNOW I'll be sticking around!! :)

Placebogirl Aug 25, 2011 4:00 am

Airline change

I'm looking at doing a similar thing to the OP but I will be changing to Airberlin from *A and carrying on to HEL (the routing is...a bit weird for work-related reasons, and the *A connections out of TXL don't work all that well). Will 3 hours be enough time?

rapidex Aug 25, 2011 4:16 am

Three hours will allow your expected connection time,plus about 2 1/2 hours to get bored.Air Berlin have their own terminal,which is about a 5 minute walk from the main terminal.Some Air Berlin flights also arrive at the main terminal.
The Lufthansa/Star alliance lounge is upstairs to the right side as you enter the terminal.

Placebogirl Aug 25, 2011 6:45 am

So I COULD book us on a *A flight leaving 55 minutes after we arrive even though this is the point at which we would have to clear customs? Not sure whether we'll be able to interline baggage or not.

Placebogirl Aug 25, 2011 6:46 am

I should point out, too, that we're non-EU passport holders.

duvin Aug 25, 2011 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Placebogirl (Post 16991379)
So I COULD book us on a *A flight leaving 55 minutes after we arrive even though this is the point at which we would have to clear customs? Not sure whether we'll be able to interline baggage or not.

You will only need to clear customs if your baggage is not checked through to HEL (last port with customs facilities). You will need to clear immigration at TXL though (first port in Schengen).

Interlining within *A should be possible between carriers even on separate tickets - if your checkin agent is not able to do it ask for a supervisor.

PaxCGN Aug 26, 2011 12:49 pm

did a 30mins connection there today

You won't have any problems Worldbound.
If Air Berlin sells you that connection, they can do it.
55mins within the same terminal (C) will not be a problem, even including imigration.
But do make sure they put an organge "transfer" badge on your bag when checking it in.

Your flights will very likely both be handled at Air Berlin's own Terminal C, which is one big prefab container because the entire airport will move next year anyway. Terminal C is the only area you do not have to leave the security area.
All other airlines and some of Air Berlin's internal flights use A/B, which can have rather long walkways and tends to be a little packed. Every gate has it's own security area, which means you almost always have to pass it when connecting and there is only a packed waiting area beyond it, but hardly any food or shops. But security check itself is rather speedy.
A/B is connected to C by a makeshift wooden bridge (5mins).
I had a 30mins connection (both Air Berlin) from C to A today without problems. KIXJNB (since you know it tends to get lost), you won't believe it, even my checked luggage made it (my bad experience with Air Berlin in this regard is lower than with other carriers).

Placebogirl, you have the choice between a 55min transfer at a boring airport (which should even work out, in case Air Berlin and Lufthansa do not interline your luggage - would surprise me, but I had the same problem from Air Berlin to Air France in Bangkok) or a 2h tour of a fascinating city, in case you find a cabdriver willing to speak the language you need.

KIXJNB Aug 28, 2011 11:25 am

Originally Posted by PaxCGN (Post 17000702)
KIXJNB (since you know it tends to get lost), you won't believe it, even my checked luggage made it

Thrilling! Many happy returns to your socks, PaxCGN. ;)

Originally Posted by PaxCGN (Post 17000702)
in case you find a cabdriver willing to speak the language you need.

Languages on offer: Turkish, Arabic and Russian.