Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

TAP "offers" upgrades via online auctions

TAP "offers" upgrades via online auctions

Old Aug 30, 16, 4:25 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
Any update to when a Passenger get the Upgrade with a Successful Bid. What Fare Basis is used for the Upgraded Flight and was there any different Mileage Accrual for the Upgraded flight. Thanks..
I'm in LIS at the moment, having flown here on Sunday evening from BOS. My upgrade (I bid 300 Euros) cleared at 72 hours out. I probably could have bid the minimum (280 Euros) and still made it - there were probably 5-6 empty seats in the front cabin, out of 20 available.

The seat itself was quite nice, lie-flat and felt very private (I had 2K, which is against the window, and no one was across the aisle). My only real complaint is that with a strong tailwind, the flight was only 5h40m, which only allowed for a couple hours of sleep. Probably be first time I actually kind of hoped for a longer flight!

Since United is notoriously slow for posting mileage, I probably won't know for another couple days about accrual. But my boarding pass said 'C' class, so I'm hoping for the best!
Old Aug 30, 16, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by alanstar View Post
I'm in LIS at the moment, having flown here on Sunday evening from BOS. My upgrade (I bid 300 Euros) cleared at 72 hours out. I probably could have bid the minimum (280 Euros) and still made it - there were probably 5-6 empty seats in the front cabin, out of 20 available.

The seat itself was quite nice, lie-flat and felt very private (I had 2K, which is against the window, and no one was across the aisle). My only real complaint is that with a strong tailwind, the flight was only 5h40m, which only allowed for a couple hours of sleep. Probably be first time I actually kind of hoped for a longer flight!

Since United is notoriously slow for posting mileage, I probably won't know for another couple days about accrual. But my boarding pass said 'C' class, so I'm hoping for the best!
Thanks for the reply (especially while your traveling) I will be crediting to UA as well. So once the flights post to UA, would you mind coming back and leting us know. Safe Travels.. And enjoy LIS..
Old Sep 3, 16, 4:07 pm

Thanks for the reply (especially while your traveling) I will be crediting to UA as well. So once the flights post to UA, would you mind coming back and leting us know. Safe Travels.. And enjoy LIS..
Miles still haven't posted yet. However, I went to the Saudi Airlines website and looked up my ticket number. The bad news is that it looks like the PlusGrade system moved me into a 'P' fare; and as far as I can tell, this is a discounted business fare that gets NO miles at all on UA. I'm hoping that's not the case, but I have my fears.

On a related topic - my bid of 280 was declined for my LIS-BOS return. Which actually doesn't bother me; its only ~6 hour flight, and in the middle of the day. I currently have an aisle seat with an open seat next to me, so I'll be fine. Just a little surprised, that's all.
Old Sep 6, 16, 4:17 pm

My return flight on Sunday just posted. It looks like 50% of mileage flown - I was allotted 1596 PQM for my L-class ticket.
Old Sep 6, 16, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by alanstar View Post
My return flight on Sunday just posted. It looks like 50% of mileage flown - I was allotted 1596 PQM for my L-class ticket.
Thanks for the update , Im traveling now and don't have my file handy. I have a trip BOS-LIS in a few weeks and I think I recall estimating 50% for that leg as well. Safe Travels..
Old Sep 13, 16, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Flying 9/15 BOS-LIS and according to ExpertFlyer five biz seats are available and two are blocked...I put in the min bid for the upgrade but haven't heard anything thus far. Returning 9/19 with ten available and two blocked...again min bid. Will report back if anything clears.

EDIT 9/15: Offer declined at T-12...data point - put in min bid @$350.

Last edited by Sterndogg; Sep 15, 16 at 9:22 am Reason: Upgrade fail
Old Sep 16, 16, 6:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AAPlatinum
Flying 9/21 on the EWR>LIS>EWR>YYZ deal from earlier in the year and received the bid email a few days ago. I bid $5 over the minimum $340.

Just received another email and revised my bid to $355. Bid site says you can revise your bid up to 40 hours before departure.

"We are currently reviewing upgrade requests for your flight to LIS departing on September 21, 2016, and we will be making decisions quite soon on which upgrades to award.

We base our decisions on several factors that include, among others, the amount passengers have offered to be upgraded and, of course, seat availability.

We would be delighted to have you experience our award-winning tap|executive and enjoy the comforts and amenities that this cabin provides.

To increase your chances that your offer will be accepted, would you like to review your offer?"
Old Sep 18, 16, 6:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
9/19 LIS-BOS: Received the email upgrade alert around T48...bid $350 (which was the min). Alas booked into P so no "bonus" miles...hopefully UA will still credit the original fare class which was L so 50%.

Got nervous as Expedia sent an email saying the flight was cancelled but agent said probably due to the ticket being reissued - I'm ditching the BOS-YYZ which would be a royal PITA if the flight for some reason goes MX.
Old Sep 18, 16, 7:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AAPlatinum
Dumb question but if you check a bag is there a possibility it will be checked through to YYZ? I think the answer is no, everyone must pick up their bag once TAP lands in the US but wasn't positive.

Hoping for a confirmation email tomorrow on the upgrade but we'll see...
Old Sep 19, 16, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by maewest View Post
Dumb question but if you check a bag is there a possibility it will be checked through to YYZ? I think the answer is no, everyone must pick up their bag once TAP lands in the US but wasn't positive.

Hoping for a confirmation email tomorrow on the upgrade but we'll see...
You will claim the checked bag at customs in BOS and can then just walk away with it. I don't think E even has a belt for connecting flights???
Old Sep 21, 16, 4:48 am

Update: Offer rejected at T-13 (bid $355/min was $340). Looks like one seat still available but my booking is for 2
Old Sep 21, 16, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by maewest View Post
Update: Offer rejected at T-13 (bid $355/min was $340). Looks like one seat still available but my booking is for 2
Oh sorry didn't realize you're port of entry is EWR but yeah same gig as BOS if checking will need to claim once you land in the US. My flight BOS-LIS on 9/15 was completely sold out.

The EWR-LIS is the "old" angled biz seat and a quick 5hrs across the pond so perhaps you'll get the upgrade for the longer return - but again it's TP's older product.
Old Sep 30, 16, 6:14 am

Fact

All their system for a plusgrade is a bullsh....
I place s bids for me and my husband ( on the same booking) and my cousin ( separate booking).
My cousin's bid was lower than ours, and my cousin have upgraded and we denied. Question- how come the Lowe bid received an upgrade ?
Our flight is tomorrow and I see the business class seats is still available.
I'm so upset .....
Old Oct 6, 16, 10:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by Meduza View Post
All their system for a plusgrade is a bullsh....
I place s bids for me and my husband ( on the same booking) and my cousin ( separate booking).
My cousin's bid was lower than ours, and my cousin have upgraded and we denied. Question- how come the Lowe bid received an upgrade ?
Our flight is tomorrow and I see the business class seats is still available.
I'm so upset .....
There was probably only one business seat available on the flight. Also regarding the available seats, maybe there are passengers who have not made seat selections yet.
Old Oct 9, 16, 11:33 pm

Programs: Got a K-Plussa black! S-card remains green :D
Wow.
I got a 100 upgrade offer for my intra-europe 2h flight. Nah, this is the highest sum I have seen so far. Pass...
Had it been some 40 as for some others I might have taken it...

Search this Thread