Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

TAP "offers" upgrades via online auctions

TAP "offers" upgrades via online auctions

Reply

Old Jun 23, 16, 8:24 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 20
So glad I found this post as I haven't seen much discussion on the Plusgrade program for TAP.

We will be traveling on 7/8 and as we have 3 passengers, I am interested in bidding for a business class upgrade, at least on one of the legs. I didn't bid the lowest, but I also didn't bid much higher than that as the price x 3 does add up a bit.

I checked on ExpertFlyer and it looks like there are only two seats occupied, with 4 seats blocked - does anyone know why they would block seats?

I'm also wondering if we have an advantage (or disadvantage?) since I am bidding for 3 seats versus someone bidding for only one seat...
aquila10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 16, 9:39 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 20
Strongly considering rolling the dice on this and putting in a slightly-above minimum bid for my JFK-LIS overnight outbound in a couple weeks. 16 of 20 Executive seats are still available according to ExpertFlyer (the other 4 are currently "blocked," but not occupied).

If it doesn't work out, there are plenty of empty rows to sprawl across for some shuteye near my Economy seat.

Last edited by joc111; Jun 23, 16 at 9:53 am
joc111 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 16, 5:34 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: LIS, from SFO
Programs: A3*G, EY Gold
Posts: 7,479
Originally Posted by joc111 View Post
Strongly considering rolling the dice on this and putting in a slightly-above minimum bid for my JFK-LIS overnight outbound in a couple weeks. 16 of 20 Executive seats are still available according to ExpertFlyer (the other 4 are currently "blocked," but not occupied).

If it doesn't work out, there are plenty of empty rows to sprawl across for some shuteye near my Economy seat.
Don't let the seat map be an indicator of loads, especially on a European airline.
Palal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 16, 6:21 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Programs: EUROBONUS
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by Palal View Post
Don't let the seat map be an indicator of loads, especially on a European airline.
Indeed: the C seat map for my upgraded flight was more or less empty. Once boarded, it was two thirds full.
flyerdude7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 16, 11:52 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Posts: 3,740
Originally Posted by flyerdude7 View Post
I also received points for Z class travel, e.g. alot more points than what I originally booked.

I don't remember the Plusgrade details regarding points, but somewhere in my mind I seem to remember one was supposed to only receive the original class points? Note: I am on SAS Eurobonus, so maybe the points transfer system between airlines does not understand Plusgrade tickets.

In any event, more for me!
Nice to know that they credit the upgraded class.. Thanks for the information. Safe Travels..
Flying Machine is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 16, 5:46 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 20
Submitted a bid $5 above minimum and was successful in upgrading for my TATL overnight leg.

It turns out that ExpertFlyer's map is accurate vis--vis TP's booking engine.
joc111 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 16, 6:47 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by joc111 View Post
Submitted a bid $5 above minimum and was successful in upgrading for my TATL overnight leg.

It turns out that ExpertFlyer's map is accurate vis--vis TP's booking engine.
You already received your confirmation? We fly out next Saturday JFK-LIS and haven't heard anything aside from an email last night stating they are currently "looking at all bid offers for upgrades".

And wow, only $5 more than minimum is a great deal!
aquila10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 16, 7:13 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by aquila10 View Post
You already received your confirmation? We fly out next Saturday JFK-LIS and haven't heard anything aside from an email last night stating they are currently "looking at all bid offers for upgrades".

And wow, only $5 more than minimum is a great deal!
I received my notification approximately 72 hours before departure. Based on wide open availability post-upgrade only 4 out of 20 were occupied the morning following confirmation, now 8 I could've definitely gotten away with a minimum bid.

Best of luck to you!
joc111 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 16, 8:45 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Posts: 3,740
Just curious. Were the sucessful upgrades granted as the orginial ticket was booked on tap.com. I ask as I have an upcoming trip (purchased with an OTA) I read the plusgrade rules and seems that I am not eligible as I purchased outside of TAP. With that said, I did read if your purchase is outside of TAP there is a way to make an email request. Just wondering if anyone has done the same. Thanks and Safe Travels..
Flying Machine is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 16, 6:03 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lawrence, MA USA
Programs: Delta Gold
Posts: 244
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
Just curious. Were the sucessful upgrades granted as the orginial ticket was booked on tap.com. I ask as I have an upcoming trip (purchased with an OTA) I read the plusgrade rules and seems that I am not eligible as I purchased outside of TAP. With that said, I did read if your purchase is outside of TAP there is a way to make an email request. Just wondering if anyone has done the same. Thanks and Safe Travels..
I booked my BOS-LIS-BOS-YYZ flight through Priceline, and I was still able to access the PlusGrade system. I just entered my info onto the flytap.com website, and was able to manage my reservation, including choosing seats and putting in an upgrade bid.

I'm not flying until late August, but so far only four seats are spoken for up front, so I have my fingers crossed!
alanstar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 16, 9:53 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Posts: 3,740
Originally Posted by alanstar View Post
I booked my BOS-LIS-BOS-YYZ flight through Priceline, and I was still able to access the PlusGrade system. I just entered my info onto the flytap.com website, and was able to manage my reservation, including choosing seats and putting in an upgrade bid.

I'm not flying until late August, but so far only four seats are spoken for up front, so I have my fingers crossed!
Thanks for the information, I see that now as well. Prior I was unable to do so until I just browsed Tap.com and noticed "view booking" under the "plan and book" tab. From any other means on the website, I just was able to view my confirmation. Under the view booking I noticed the additional services to select seat or special meal and the PlusGrade option as well (smaller box on the right).. Thanks and Safe Travels (Hope your UG confirms)
Flying Machine is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 16, 12:37 am
  #27  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Programs: EUROBONUS
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by flyerdude7 View Post
Update: upgrade success! Just received confirmation.
Upgrade success also on the return flight. Same deal: I put in a 305 EUR bid (250 EUR minimum).
flyerdude7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 16, 5:18 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by flyerdude7 View Post
Upgrade success also on the return flight. Same deal: I put in a 305 EUR bid (250 EUR minimum).
How many days in advance did you get a notice?
aquila10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 16, 12:21 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Programs: EUROBONUS
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by aquila10 View Post
How many days in advance did you get a notice?
As with my previous upgrade, I noticed the withdrawal of $ from my credit card around 60 hours ahead of departure.

The actual Plusgrade email notification was received about 48 hours ahead of departure.

Original booking class was U and upgraded to Z and P ("business class"), respectively.
flyerdude7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 16, 1:21 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Posts: 3,740
Originally Posted by flyerdude7 View Post
As with my previous upgrade, I noticed the withdrawal of $ from my credit card around 60 hours ahead of departure.

The actual Plusgrade email notification was received about 48 hours ahead of departure.

Original booking class was U and upgraded to Z and P ("business class"), respectively.
Z get 125% RDM and 100% PQM when crediting to UA. Unfortunately P earns 0% RDM/PQM..

I have a leg in E which also earns 0% and was hoping the UG would yeild something to credit.
Flying Machine is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread