Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar Aiways and TAP?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2011, 1:22 pm
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
This one could happen IMO, if the government accepts the reality that they cannot afford to continue subsidies. That has been a bitter pill for several countries. I hope Portugal is prepared to do it. There are better places for public money than TAP.
It's been quite some time that TAP hasn't received any subsidy from the government - which, by the way, as you probably know, are forbidden by EU law.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by tff
It's been quite some time that TAP hasn't received any subsidy from the government - which, by the way, as you probably know, are forbidden by EU law.
Of course. there are rules and there are techniques to avoid them. In any event TAP is far better than most state controlled airlines; it has had few unprofitable years, for example. I suspect the capital implication of a state controlled airline are no longer attractive for a number of reasons, but I am sure you know the subject better than do I.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
New flavour of the mont

Originally Posted by GBM.flights
I still think it's just wishful thinking of the Portuguese government ...
Really hate to quote myself, but here is why. [Portuguese only, sorry]

New spin is that LATAM will take 39% until end of May and could go up to 49%).
LH also interested - so called plan B (Reason to be the B plan is that it just announced the reopening of FRA-GIG

Goverment is really trying to dump TP.

Stay tunned for new unsubstantiated take overs speculations.

GBM
Old Feb 27, 2011, 7:38 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by GBM.flights
Really hate to quote myself, but here is why. [Portuguese only, sorry]
GBM
This one is more interesting than most because there is actually a commercial basis for it, and it suits TAP management quite well. There's only one problem. LATAM does not yet exist and cannot unless both Chile and Brazil approve it. Will they? i suspect Brazil is an easier play than Chile, frankly, for some political reasons not relevant to this debate. TAP would fit in very well but this is, as you imply, another long shot.
Old May 9, 2011, 5:55 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
And now for something completely different

IB/BA going for TP?

GBM

-------------------------------------------------------
Edit: Just found out it's being discuss over here at the BA forum

Last edited by GBM.flights; May 9, 2011 at 6:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.