Why not to fly Ryanair

Old Sep 3, 2010, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Nice to read the above.. We are also Non EU citizens and I have bought one checked in bag just for safety as mine was bordering on the margin of 10kgs so will check it in..
Remember to get your boarding card authorised before you go through security otherwise you won't get to fly
Old Sep 3, 2010, 6:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
See the documentary Why Hate Ryanair on youtube, they are VERY poorly paid.
If it's on the internet, it must be true.

Anyway, this toilet charging is now an *old* story and it's kind of funny that it's still got legs. Ryanair must be loving the free publicity.

For those yet to fly: I've taken plenty of flights with them, and had no real problems. The biggest problems I have encountered were caused by other passengers - nothing to do with Ryanair at all. Outsourced ground staff can be gruff, but I've found that they're generally crap irregardless of the airline. The cabin staff have all been pleasant and efficient. The service is what it is - a low-cost, low-frills flying bus.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:16 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Treating people well (or badly) is not just about money....
u r right, but this is a relative thing and not easy to generalize.. i mean any employee may be quite happy with his employer till their pay/benefits/ allowances get cut and this makes the employer not treat them fairly etc etc..the thing is that this is the news which the media wants and projects and gets floated around..
i am not advocating here for ryan air ( having never flown them yet) but generally for all employers..and thing is that in EU its not easy to treat ppl badly as compared to what the employers can get away in 'emerging' countries..
Old Sep 6, 2010, 1:01 am

Programs: SK*Gold
I avoided flying Ryan Air for many years for two reasons:

1. I disliked their deceptive advertized fares (maybe they should be called Lying Air).

2. O'Leary is obnoxious and mean spirited when he need not be. He could convey the same message and carry out the same policies in a friendly way - it worked for Southwest.

Despite this, I used them from Oslo-Glascow last year when I needed to book a last minute flight. They were by far the least expensive. To my surpise the flight was OK.

I still will only use them if they are significantly less than other airlines because of the above reasons. If they were straight forward in their pricing and got a boss who believes in treating passengers with respect, that would change.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Amexpat
I still will only use them if they are significantly less than other airlines because of the above reasons. If they were straight forward in their pricing and got a boss who believes in treating passengers with respect, that would change.
Aha.. I believe treating pax with respect is something which many a times even the full service airlines dont do and in some cases are regularly not doing in.. maybe we feel it more because we r from the subcontinent but this is not specific onlz to lcc's IMHO..
And personally though I hv never flown it yet (my 1st flight is tom), from what I read he and ryan air is more upfront on issues than others and their charges are not hidden but yes we pay for basic things also..
but doesnt this happen even with LH,OS etc etc wherein they say flight available from Eur 59/69 wherein in reality those seats would be in very small nos .. Most if not all airline cos use deceptive advertising to attract customers ..
I too believe that folks shd fly lcc's only when the cost savings r big otherwise it may not make sense to fly them..
Old Sep 6, 2010, 4:51 am

I used them from Oslo-Glascow last year
But you didn't, you used them to fly from Torp to Prestwick.

BTW why do many people write "Glascow" for "Glasgow"?
Old Sep 6, 2010, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by alanR
Perhaps because some countries' citizens pronounce it 'Glass-cow', a bit like 'Moss-cow'?

Best wishes fae Glesca!

Last edited by farci; Sep 6, 2010 at 5:50 am
Old Sep 6, 2010, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by alanR
But you didn't, you used them to fly from Torp to Prestwick.

Sorry about the "Glascow" typo .

Torp was ca. an extra hour for me, so that's a negative. I didn't mind Prestwick - there's a train station next to the terminal and it was an enjoyable ride into Glasgow.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:21 am

..., from what I read he and ryan air is more upfront on issues than others and their charges are not hidden but yes we pay for basic things also..
I don't mind paying extra for bags or meals. Those are legitimate extras that can be unbundled in a price. But they had an "online check-in" fee, which there was no way to avoid. That's just plain dishonest.

They also charge an unavoidable administrative fee per person per journey, which is also nonsense. If there is no way that you can unbundle something from your product then it should be included in the price.

In addition, they don't include the taxes in their promotional fares, something which other airlines here in Norway do.

I actually think they have a decent product for the price, but as long as they play these petty games, I'll avoid them if I can.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:38 am

But they had an "online check-in" fee, which there was no way to avoid. That's just plain dishonest.
They also charge an unavoidable administrative fee per person per journey, which is also nonsense. If there is no way that you can unbundle something from your product then it should be included in the price.

In addition, they don't include the taxes in their promotional fares, something which other airlines here in Norway do.

I actually think they have a decent product for the price, but as long as they play these petty games, I'll avoid them if I can.
Since I know some addl charges are unavoidable and fixed , I just add them to the base fare..and they dont include taxes in the promo fares which is really good since it makes a good difference of 20-30eur per ticket..
Old Sep 6, 2010, 8:33 am

Since I know some addl charges are unavoidable and fixed , I just add them to the base fare..and they dont include taxes in the promo fares which is really good since it makes a good difference of 20-30eur per ticket..
The law, here in the EU, is that the price that is advertised MUST be the final price (the laws are different in other places such as the USA).

Ryanair is now complying with the rules when advertising their fares in the EU (this wasn't the case a few years ago, but they have been forced into abiding by the law), but it would appear, from one of the earlier posts in this thread, that they are still advertising their fares exclusive of taxes and charges in non-EU countries such as Norway.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 11:45 am

Programs: Qatar Gold
Talking Sweat Air

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
And tens of millions of people in the First World have benefited from being able to buy cheap clothes produced in Third World sweatshops.
maybe O Leary could start a cargo operation to and from these 3rd world sweatshops thereby makes our clothes even cheaper again
Old Sep 7, 2010, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
They also charge an unavoidable administrative fee per person per journey, which is also nonsense.
Yes, it's nonsense because it's not true. Are you thinking of something else?
In addition, they don't include the taxes in their promotional fares ...
Yes, they do. It's the law. Are you thinking of something else?
Old Sep 7, 2010, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
The most recent publicity gimmick of flying with only one pilot shows how low-class an outfit it is.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 9:51 am

       

Last edited by ksharpe; Feb 2, 2017 at 2:39 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.