Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Icelandair Saga vs Econ Comfort & seat map

Old Aug 7, 2010, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Looking at R/T JFK - AMS 10/15 - 10/19 and a bit confused about the 757-200 (75w) layout.

Icelandair says Econ Comfort would be rows 5 & 6 while SG map shows Saga rows 1 - 6, EC rows 7 - 11.

Wondering if anyone has flown JFK - KEF - AMS on Icelandair in Saga or Econ Comfort recently and can tell me how the front cabin is divided; are rows 5 & 6 indeed EC and are the seats the same as Saga?

Any other comments about Saga vs EC also appreciated.

Thanks
Old Aug 8, 2010, 3:02 am

Programs: EB*G, BT VIP
I'm not very frequent on FI, but this year I've been on 2 different 757-200 with them.
757-200 with winglets - C class 6 rows, AVOD, reasonably comfy seats (still more or less like US domestic F)
757-200 without winglets - C class 4 rows, no IFE/AVOD, old US domestic first seats.

I haven't really examined, but economy comfort seats on non-winglet 757 did not looked convertable to me at all, rather just a usual tight economy. I have impression this particular aircraft was taken from some US airline and used by FI "as is". You can see remainings of Verizon in-seat phone setup on this plane. No idea if this is only airplane in the fleet, maybe not.

Never flown FI eco comfort, can't comment on difference. The sole reason I'm flying FI they have best C product to Reykjavik from Europe
Old Aug 8, 2010, 6:41 am

i dont think there are any non winglet 757 left (which btw never served for an us airline). they all have new business, eco plus and eco seats with avod.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks
Old Aug 8, 2010, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by MarioRossi
i dont think there are any non winglet 757 left (which btw never served for an us airline). they all have new business, eco plus and eco seats with avod.
I've flown one end of June, no winglets, no AVOD and no IFE. When in KEF, I've seen at least 2 non-winglet 757s on the apron.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by another_shot
I've flown one end of June, no winglets, no AVOD and no IFE. When in KEF, I've seen at least 2 non-winglet 757s on the apron.
Strange that FI claims JFK/KEF/AMS is 757-200 (75w) which I assume is winglet yet their seat map only indicates Saga as rows 1-4, not the full 6 rows you mentioned, now I'm really confused. Really wish they could provide and accurate seat map.

Hello,

Thank you for your email!

Seats in row 5 and 6 are in Economy Comfort on Fi614/15Oct.
On all flights noted the Economy Comfort seats
will be in row 5 or 6. When you book your tickets you will
be able to reserve a seat in the cabin you book.
Our fleet consist of Boeing 757's.

Further assistance can be provided by calling 800.223.5500
and select the Saga Class/Economy Comfort option.

Best Regards
Icelandair
Old Aug 8, 2010, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by tdowl5757
Strange that FI claims JFK/KEF/AMS is 757-200 (75w) which I assume is winglet yet their seat map only indicates Saga as rows 1-4, not the full 6 rows you mentioned, now I'm really confused. Really wish they could provide and accurate seat map.

Hello,

Thank you for your email!

Seats in row 5 and 6 are in Economy Comfort on Fi614/15Oct.
On all flights noted the Economy Comfort seats
will be in row 5 or 6.
I took a quick look, FI502 KEF-AMS showing 5 rows of C, rest of the flights showing 4 rows. And all flights no 1DF seats. IIRC that "old-style" 757 with 4 rows of C had full row 1. Wording from FI you quoted above could also mean they designated rows 5&6 for eco comf on those flights, while actual seats are business.
When looking on some random flights CPH-KEF-CPH there are some with 4 rows of C and some even with 3 rows. Unless FI did a total reconfig of their fleet within last month, this not sounds like actual seat map. It looks they allocating some of business seat to eco extra.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 7:19 am
Original Poster

I took a quick look, FI502 KEF-AMS showing 5 rows of C, rest of the flights showing 4 rows. And all flights no 1DF seats. IIRC that "old-style" 757 with 4 rows of C had full row 1. Wording from FI you quoted above could also mean they designated rows 5&6 for eco comf on those flights, while actual seats are business.
When looking on some random flights CPH-KEF-CPH there are some with 4 rows of C and some even with 3 rows. Unless FI did a total reconfig of their fleet within last month, this not sounds like actual seat map. It looks they allocating some of business seat to eco extra.
I think you're right
Old Aug 9, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
.... It looks they allocating some of business seat to eco extra.
Exactly. I have flown MSP-ARN 4 times in the past 3 months in Saga class. On the MSP-KEF legs, the last 2 rows of the 6 row business section are eco extra.

They put up a little marker on the aisle seats at row 4 to mark the division. The eco extra seats (rows 7-11 or therebouts) are changed to regular economy seats, by lifting up the center seat dropdown seatback which serves as a table and gives eco plus the 2x2 seating when the actual seats are 3x3.

All my flights from MSP have been completely full, so they move eco extra forward, and sell the unconverted exo extra seats (now 3x3) as coach.

My flights from to KEF to ARN are never full and business class is the usual 6 row cabin, with plenty of open seats. Eco extra is where it normally is, with a curtain divider seperating eco extra from coach.

They must make this change on a flight by flight basis. I have flown into KEF on an a/c that had eco extra in the back of business, and eco extra seats changed to coach. Within the 1.5 hr layover, the plane is changed back to normal. Twice, my a/c from MSP-KEF was the same a/c used for KEF-ARN, but when I boarded in KEF, the cabin configuration had changed.

Of course, KEF-ARN is not nearly full. while MSP-KEF always is. I just believe they move eco extra as necessary to maximize revenue, as they can change the eco extra seats to regular coach in minutes.

As far as I know, all FI a/c have the same configuration; 6 rows of business, 4 rows of eco extra, and the rest coach; they just move the actual location of eco extra to meet their needs. Eco extra, when moved, gets a business seat, but just the eco extra level of service.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Donna49
Exactly. I have flown MSP-ARN 4 times in the past 3 months in Saga class. On the MSP-KEF legs, the last 2 rows of the 6 row business section are eco extra.

They put up a little marker on the aisle seats at row 4 to mark the division. The eco extra seats (rows 7-11 or therebouts) are changed to regular economy seats, by lifting up the center seat dropdown seatback which serves as a table and gives eco plus the 2x2 seating when the actual seats are 3x3.

All my flights from MSP have been completely full, so they move eco extra forward, and sell the unconverted exo extra seats (now 3x3) as coach.

My flights from to KEF to ARN are never full and business class is the usual 6 row cabin, with plenty of open seats. Eco extra is where it normally is, with a curtain divider seperating eco extra from coach.

They must make this change on a flight by flight basis. I have flown into KEF on an a/c that had eco extra in the back of business, and eco extra seats changed to coach. Within the 1.5 hr layover, the plane is changed back to normal. Twice, my a/c from MSP-KEF was the same a/c used for KEF-ARN, but when I boarded in KEF, the cabin configuration had changed.

Of course, KEF-ARN is not nearly full. while MSP-KEF always is. I just believe they move eco extra as necessary to maximize revenue, as they can change the eco extra seats to regular coach in minutes.

As far as I know, all FI a/c have the same configuration; 6 rows of business, 4 rows of eco extra, and the rest coach; they just move the actual location of eco extra to meet their needs. Eco extra, when moved, gets a business seat, but just the eco extra level of service.
Aha! thanks for the info.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
So sometimes you luck out and get a business seat if the flight is full as econ comfort?

How does the meal service work in Economy comfort? You pick anything from the menu or you just get one choice of a hot meal? How about beer/wine...is it unlimited or only one with the meal?

I find it so odd that there are two Icelandair flights from JFK within just minutes of each other to KEF!
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by Donna49
I have YYZ-KEF with Econ extra and am able to select either Row 5 or 6, I think it's this configuration, it seems Row 5 will be Saga seats and Row 6 will be Y

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ic...757-200_V2.php

OTOH KEF-HEL let me choose seats on either Row 5,6,7, or 9.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ic...ng_757-200.php

Row 5 and 6 are Saga seats and Row 7 and 9 are Y seats. 757-300 seems to have the same configuration upfront.

So if I get to choose Row 5 it will give me the best chance of getting Saga seats (wouldn't mind Econ service at all) given aircraft change is possible at any given moment.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
This is a very old thread. You are quoting my post made in 2010. A lot has changed with Icelandair in the past 7 years, and most of what is posted here is no longer accurate.

Time for a brand new thread on this topic.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Took the flights and it turns out all 757s have the first 6 rows as Saga seats.

On our KEF-HEL flight, there were only 2 Saga passengers so they moved the J cabin curtain up to the third row. In practice every Economy Comfort got Saga seat on both of the segments.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG
We flew from Anchorage to Keflavik and return, paid for economy comfort, and sat both ways in Saga seats 5A and 5C. There was a divider curtain in the aisle and a small curtain in front of us that caused no problems.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.