Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with Flybe?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Bouncing this thread, because I completed quite a few Flybe sectors this year. It seems to have improved vastly, although I still don't like the company. They have managed to reduce flying to a very unglamorous and forgettable affair. Like germanwings, they seem to have no culture behind them (as, for example, KLM does, thanks to its history) and there is no "feeling" when you fly them. However, that is unimportant for most flyers.

Unlike my previous experiences, there seem to be far fewer irrops, although staff at Dusseldorf airport were laughing about how it is known as "Flymaybe" (as if I didn't already know). Flights got me to where I needed to go safely and punctually (MAN, ABZ). Cabin crews were generally friendly, and one talked about how she had begun way back in the Jersey European days (which was the original name of Flybe).

The Embraer aircraft are, obviously, more comfortable and quieter than the Dash-8's (the seats in this latter are impossible to have a snooze in). The BoB menu is not too bad, with interesting items such as porridge (which is actually palatable) and cranberry tea. Sandwiches were pretty good quality and cost GBP4 and you get a decent cup of English breakfast tea. I experienced no baggage issues, although I went with hand baggage only (a small rucksack).

Lastly, it is now possible to redeem Avios on Flybe flights and this can provide very good value for certain dates and itineraries. For example, MAN-DUS round trip was 9,000 Avios plus about GBP54 taxes, an itinerary that would have cost EUR307 as a cash fare (which would have been a Get More fare). Using your Avios at avios.com, rather than at the British Airways Executive Club, yields more seat availability, apparently. Remember that all Avios award tix, whether booked at avios.com or BAEC, come with a free baggage allowance despite what is stated on the e-ticket. You can also collect Avios for paid tickets, but only at avios.com and Avios are awarded for the base fare without the taxes component.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 6:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Now that BA are moving to a Buy on Board model I am now moving my loyalty to FlyBe for UK domestic and near European flights. This is for three reasons: (1) as BA no longer will be offering a full service flight experience there is no real reason to traipse to LHR any longer for 5 Tier Points when LCY is 20 mins from where I live; (2) there is no risk of a middle seat as there is on a BA HBO fare given BE's 2x2 seating; (3) I'll still get some avios on a BE flight.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Concerto
Bouncing this thread, because I completed quite a few Flybe sectors this year. It seems to have improved vastly, although I still don't like the company. They have managed to reduce flying to a very unglamorous and forgettable affair. Like germanwings, they seem to have no culture behind them (as, for example, KLM does, thanks to its history) and there is no "feeling" when you fly them. However, that is unimportant for most flyers.

Unlike my previous experiences, there seem to be far fewer irrops, although staff at Dusseldorf airport were laughing about how it is known as "Flymaybe" (as if I didn't already know). Flights got me to where I needed to go safely and punctually (MAN, ABZ). Cabin crews were generally friendly, and one talked about how she had begun way back in the Jersey European days (which was the original name of Flybe).

The Embraer aircraft are, obviously, more comfortable and quieter than the Dash-8's (the seats in this latter are impossible to have a snooze in). The BoB menu is not too bad, with interesting items such as porridge (which is actually palatable) and cranberry tea. Sandwiches were pretty good quality and cost GBP4 and you get a decent cup of English breakfast tea. I experienced no baggage issues, although I went with hand baggage only (a small rucksack).

Lastly, it is now possible to redeem Avios on Flybe flights and this can provide very good value for certain dates and itineraries. For example, MAN-DUS round trip was 9,000 Avios plus about GBP54 taxes, an itinerary that would have cost EUR307 as a cash fare (which would have been a Get More fare). Using your Avios at avios.com, rather than at the British Airways Executive Club, yields more seat availability, apparently. Remember that all Avios award tix, whether booked at avios.com or BAEC, come with a free baggage allowance despite what is stated on the e-ticket. You can also collect Avios for paid tickets, but only at avios.com and Avios are awarded for the base fare without the taxes component.

Bumping and asking

I've waded through the BAEC pages on baggage allowances: on a sunny day these can be interpreted as free bags on avios bookings. This chimes with Concerto's view.

While i have every confidence in our esteemed fellow poster, i'd feel that bit more confident if i could get a third vote in favour of AWARD BOOKINGS ON FLYBE ARE NOT HBO.

We're talking Manchester Amsterdam.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Some advice if possible from those in the know regarding cancellations.

Flight was cancelled 30/12 due to poor weather, it had already been cancelled when we arrived at the airport (although no prior text or anything). Stayed in the airport all day as booked on evening flight. This was then also cancelled. Flybe arranged hotel/ meal/ bfast and transport.

Booked onto morning flight next day, 31/12. Weather not perfect, but better and improved, and most flights operating. Only cancellation to destination airport. Flight cancelled on arrival at airport.

Rebooked on evening flight the following day..... hotel etc covered (and thank you for that).

I suspect the third cancellation was aircraft movement/ aircraft in wrong place. Can we claim under EU cancellation rules for this?

Also, the car park will be charging an extra £10 a day. Not the end of the world, but can I claim this from Flybe?

They have been reasonable and I can't complain about how we have been treated overall, other than we will be over 3 days late getting home (the flight we will hopefully get arrives late, so will need an overnight hotel).
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Bumping and asking

I've waded through the BAEC pages on baggage allowances: on a sunny day these can be interpreted as free bags on avios bookings. This chimes with Concerto's view.

While i have every confidence in our esteemed fellow poster, i'd feel that bit more confident if i could get a third vote in favour of AWARD BOOKINGS ON FLYBE ARE NOT HBO. (...)
I'm pretty sure that there's been no change here. When you book a BAEC award ticket, there is no mention of a free back whatsoever anywhere. The 'receipt' will even say that "this is a hand baggage only fare". But it will be in their system. A call to the Flybe call centre should put things straight.

Originally Posted by Skimanant
(...) Flight was cancelled 30/12 due to poor weather, it had already been cancelled when we arrived at the airport (although no prior text or anything). Stayed in the airport all day as booked on evening flight. This was then also cancelled. Flybe arranged hotel/ meal/ bfast and transport.

Booked onto morning flight next day, 31/12. Weather not perfect, but better and improved, and most flights operating. Only cancellation to destination airport. Flight cancelled on arrival at airport.

Rebooked on evening flight the following day..... hotel etc covered (and thank you for that).

I suspect the third cancellation was aircraft movement/ aircraft in wrong place. Can we claim under EU cancellation rules for this? (...)
Sounds like Flybe are back to their usual selves. I found the irregularities with them about 5-10 years unacceptable and did my best to completely avoid them. It did seem like things had improved in the last couple of years, though.

I'm sure you can claim under the EU protection....for the moment. Use one of the online agents that will do it for you and keep a percentage for their work.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I can confirm their rules around hold luggage hasn’t relaxed at all. Booked 4 tickets with Avios meaning we all had 23Kgs allowance. We decided only to take 2 cases and the first case was weighed, tagged and sent and was 21Kgs. Second case was 24kgs and they told us too heavy. Had to remove 1kg. Were not willing to be flexible about this even when we pointed out other case was only 21Kgs. Unfortunately as first case already gone on conveyor we couldn’t transfer between cases. We still took the extra kg in our hand luggage so not sure the logic here. We were flying AMS-MAN
Old May 20, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Originally Posted by silonic
I can confirm their rules around hold luggage hasn’t relaxed at all. Booked 4 tickets with Avios meaning we all had 23Kgs allowance. We decided only to take 2 cases and the first case was weighed, tagged and sent and was 21Kgs. Second case was 24kgs and they told us too heavy. Had to remove 1kg. Were not willing to be flexible about this even when we pointed out other case was only 21Kgs. Unfortunately as first case already gone on conveyor we couldn’t transfer between cases. We still took the extra kg in our hand luggage so not sure the logic here. We were flying AMS-MAN
Any bag over 23kg will be classed as “heavy” and their ground handling agent may charge them more as 2 baggage handlers may be required to lift it.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: BA - Silver,Hilton-Diamond, IHG - PlatAmb, GHA - Plat
Just done 2 sectors with FlyBe

MAN - SOU, such a fuss for a domestic flight Shouty grumpy agents at checkin and the gate, so much so the gate agent was screaming at passengers that they needed to have their Photo ID etc, and rows xx - xx plane left late due to the pilot and ground crew disagreeing about trim )weight and balance.
Flight was a bit meh, but only 40 minutes on a DH8

SOU - MAN - Flight cancelled due to plane going tech, given food voucher for the airport, was offered rebooing to LBA, but due to car in MAN, was put in a taxi for the 4hr drive at 6pm, found out later that the flight to LBA had gone tech as well. Now waiting for the EC261 payout...

All in all not a positive experience of flying FlyBe ort as they are called now FlyMayBe
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, A3
I need to add hold luggage on a return flight Belfast City BHD to Leeds/Bradford LBA but only need it for the outbound journey. The site forces me to book both ways. Is there any around this?
Thanks
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Just priced up a return from one end of the UK to the other on the "UK's Number One Domestic Carrier": NQY-LSI on random dates in August. And the cost came to a staggering £449.
Flybe don't fly to LSI...
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Stormbel
I need to add hold luggage on a return flight Belfast City BHD to Leeds/Bradford LBA but only need it for the outbound journey. The site forces me to book both ways. Is there any around this?
Thanks
I think you can add it to a sector after you book.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Trying to check in for tomorrows LCY-JER

just says free airport check-in available ! No option to on line check-in

what does this mean?

cant believe an airline that operates flights well into the evening closes its customer service helpline at 18:30!

Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Stormbel
Thanks
phone up
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:38 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by allturnleft
Trying to check in for tomorrows LCY-JER

just says free airport check-in available ! No option to on line check-in

what does this mean?

cant believe an airline that operates flights well into the evening closes its customer service helpline at 18:30!

you can do a kiosk check in at LCY with practically no queues...
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by clubeurope
you can do a kiosk check in at LCY with practically no queues...
I'm afraid you're late with that advice. Are you sure Blue Islands operated FlyBe does kiosk checkins?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.