Wiki Posts
Search

Spanair cancellation?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2010, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Some, not all.
Spanair cancellation?

I had booked BHX-MAD with Spanair last month and yesterday I got this e-mail yesterday:

Dear Sr/ Madam,

We wish to advise of the following schedule change to your booking, please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Your flight details
Flight Date Origin Destiny Departure Arrival
JK231 21/08/10 BIRMINGHAM BARAJAS 09:00 12:25

Please contact us to help you find an alternative flight, we will be pleased to help you.

Yours sincerely.

Spanair - CALL CENTER
Tel.0034902929996
I have tried to call the number listed, but it does not work, nor does any other number I can find.

Checkmytrip.com can no longer find the reservation, and Spanair.com no longer shows and BHX-MAD flights in August.

Is it safe to assume the flight is cancelled? Also, there is no charge on my credit card but other threads suggest Spanair are erratic in their billing times.
Old May 15, 2010, 5:00 am

Programs: BD*G
My flight from EDI-BCN was cancelled and rescheduled
like yours. The only working number I could find is 0034971916047.
Everything sorted in 5 minutes. Less painful than expected.
Hope this helps.
Old May 18, 2010, 8:15 am
D_P

All Spanair flights have been canceled from Birmingham UK, there is a press release on the Birmingham airport website about it.

Here

I also have tried all phone numbers on the spanair website and all are dead, also tried the contact form on the website with no reply.

Anyone know how i would go about getting my money back for it?
Old May 18, 2010, 3:53 pm
D_P

Spanair have suspended all flights from Birmingham
Old May 20, 2010, 4:23 pm

I've had a similar problem Checked my emails on Monday and I had a message from Spanair stating that their had been a schedule change to my outbound flight to Barcelona and I should contact them.

When I contacted them they told me they had cancelled all Birmingham flights and that their was no alternative. I've had an absolute nightmare trying to book new flights as I'm stuck with certain dates as my accommodation is non refundable!!

I booked this as a surprise trip for my boyfriend so the only chance I had to call was from my mobile, which i'm sure has cost me a fortune!! They said I would get a full refund but I'm yet to see this, slightly concerned. I had to ask for the refund, they said I had to call them to get the refund processed so I would suggest if you haven't spoken to them yet you do so as I'm sure they'll keep you cash in their bank account
Old May 21, 2010, 2:41 am

Spanair is member of Star Alliance

Remember that Spanair is part of Star Alliance. So if they try to tell you that there is no alternative to get you to BCN, they are lying.

AFAIK, if you had an OK reservation, they have the obligation to offer you alternatives: either a refund or an alternative route. I would insist that they put me on another *A carrier’s flight. (BMI, Brussels Airlines, Swiss, Lufthansa all fly to BHX and BCN.)

Of course they will not mention this. They would rather just give you a refund. That's easier and cheaper for them.
Old May 22, 2010, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Some, not all.
As my credit card had not been charged, I went ahead and booked flights with Lufthansa. Although I have to go via FRA, the departure times are better and it was only 15 GBP more.

After checking my confirmation again, I noticed this little get out from Spanair:

Your booking has been made. An itinerary receipt will be sent to the following e-mail xxx once your ticket has been issued. Remember: Your ticket will not be confirmed until you get this itinerary receipt. If you do not get it within 48 hours, please contact Spanair Center.
So, you think you've bought a ticket, but actually it's a tentative booking which Spanair may or may not confirm.
Old May 26, 2010, 4:00 pm

Programs: A3 gld, BA bron, KL silv, 6C plat, EH silv, EM, GT, HY, NH, NS, RT, SH, SW gold, BW, WY
Originally Posted by Koby
Remember that Spanair is part of Star Alliance. So if they try to tell you that there is no alternative to get you to BCN, they are lying.

AFAIK, if you had an OK reservation, they have the obligation to offer you alternatives: either a refund or an alternative route. I would insist that they put me on another *A carrier’s flight. (BMI, Brussels Airlines, Swiss, Lufthansa all fly to BHX and BCN.)

Of course they will not mention this. They would rather just give you a refund. That's easier and cheaper for them.
This is almost correct but it has nothing to do with Star Alliance - its an EC requirement. They have to put you on another flight, whether its via a stopping off point like AMS or CDG or whether they pay for the train to London and put you in IB/BA. They cannot refuse to do this. Even if the only option was to get an early morning or late night flight from London and pay for a taxi transfer because there was no train they would still need to pay. However, you cannot insist that you go with Star Alliance. The route they offer is up to them. You can demand a refund of course if you choose that instead.
Old May 26, 2010, 5:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Alas, if it's greater than 2 weeks notice, a refund is all that's required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.