Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > easyJet | easyJet Plus
Reload this Page >

Easyjet Gatwick long long walk - a ride?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2010, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Every time I fly Easyjet they always use the furthestmost gate outward and return and the walk takes me about 40 minutes and absolutely wears me out. All the other pax overtake me and soon I am hobbling along the seemingly endless corridors all alone.

Sometimes I see a vehicle go past with a couple of pax sitting on the back. Could I ask for that even though I am not "registered" disabled? Does it cost anything, and if my partner is with me is he also allowed to ride on it with me even though he's fit?

Thanks!
Old May 14, 2010, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC
You should be able to request this at the check in desk or an Easyjet service desk if you check in online, it is operated by the airport but arrangements should be made through your airline and they will organise it. It's free and so long as there aren't two passengers in need of the buggy your partner will be allowed to sit with you.

On a side note, thankfully the need, if there ever was one, for disability registers were eliminated with the 1995 Disability Discrimination Act, the term 'registered disabled' is something that makes my skin crawl and should be well and truly consigned to the past.
Old May 14, 2010, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks James!

Why I say about not being "registered" is that I cannot "prove" to the airline or airport that I cannot walk.

I CAN walk. I just get tired, puffed out, sweaty, uncomfortable, etc walking from gate ten thousand (or so it seems LOL) at Gatwick.

Is that a genuine reason?

Last edited by Sussexwoman; May 14, 2010 at 7:02 am
Old May 14, 2010, 7:21 am

Only you know if it's a genuine reason, there's not going to be some interrogation when you ask for assistance, if you just say that you need asisstance because you can't manage the walk to the gate they shouldn't ask any more questions. You will normally get an electric buggy and normally to yourself, but at particularly busy times they might only be able to offer an airport wheelchair and a pusher to take you to the gate.
Old May 14, 2010, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Oh you mean a little electric chair?

What are those big trucks with a driver then? With pax sitting on the back?

Well I know how much discomfort I was in the last four times I had to walk to that gate!
Old May 14, 2010, 1:24 pm

The trucks with pax on the back are what I call buggies, they aren't that big, they just look it when they are speeding at you beeping their horn expecting you to get our of the way.
Old May 18, 2010, 3:33 pm

There is no need to have any sort of proof when requesting assistance. There is also no need for you to explain in any way why you need assistance.

You may not be able to specify exactly what assistance you get (cart versus wheelchair and pusher, for example), and you may have to take what's available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.