FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ryanair (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ryanair-776/)
-   -   Ryanair to Prohibit Checked Baggage on Certain Flights Starting Fall 2010 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ryanair/1071537-ryanair-prohibit-checked-baggage-certain-flights-starting-fall-2010-a.html)

Wing Man Apr 6, 2010 7:11 pm

Ryanair to Prohibit Checked Baggage on Certain Flights Starting Fall 2010

In this NY Times article on the impact of baggage fees on airline finances and operations, Stephen McNamara, director of communications for Ryanair, says the airline wants to change consumer behavior.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/07/bu...ef=global-home

ByrdluvsAWACO Apr 6, 2010 10:04 pm

Yet another reason to never fly ryanair.

alanR Apr 7, 2010 12:18 am

Ryanair to Prohibit Checked Baggage on Certain Flights Starting Fall 2010
No mention of this on Ryanair's website. Nor is there any mention in the European press. In short this is the only place where this is mentioned

However getting rid of checked luggage is a perennial story about Ryanair - I've seen similar stories in 2004, 2008 & 2009.

And given the income that checked luggage generates (especially from the people who think rules don't apply to them) I can't see Ryanair doing this on any of it's routes with the possible exception of some weekend destinations where most people only have hand luggage to start with.

moeve Apr 7, 2010 7:48 am

One day all this nickle and diming is going to come back upon them like a boomerang and they are litterally going to fly themselves out of business. I will most certainly NEVER see the insdie of a Ryanair aircraft again in my life not matter how cheap.

debonairy Apr 7, 2010 9:54 am

Seems they want to use the hold to carry cargo and make money from that. A possible alternative would be charging the same rate for checked luggage as the rate for cargo. That will likely increase the charges for checking luggage further but at least people will have the option of doing so.

What happens when passengers who are unaware of the checked luggage ban show up at the airport?

chollie Apr 7, 2010 10:12 am

Originally Posted by debonairy (Post 13726423)
What happens when passengers who are unaware of the checked luggage ban show up at the airport?

They can 'voluntarily surrender' it?

I met a German girl a couple years ago in London. She'd flown Ryanair and it wasn't her first time. She was only in London for the weekend. She made a distinction between Ryanair and 'real' airlines. For her and her friends, flying Ryanair was like taking the tube at rush hour: generally uncomfortable, crowded, no 'services', travel light. The price was right when she was 'commuting' for a weekend. She never flew them for regular holidays, even intra-Europe.

I ride the city bus and streetcar when I'm in SFO for a few days; I would never consider taking a Greyhound cross-country.

chollie Apr 7, 2010 10:14 am

Originally Posted by moeve (Post 13725654)
One day all this nickle and diming is going to come back upon them like a boomerang and they are litterally going to fly themselves out of business. I will most certainly NEVER see the insdie of a Ryanair aircraft again in my life not matter how cheap.

I don't know...they seem to be staying afloat, although I don't know how much money they're making.

By jacking fees up incrementally, if they do reach a breaking point, they could conceivably back off quickly.

moeve Apr 7, 2010 10:51 am

That is just it they are NOT making money in fact if I remember correctly their balance sheet was VERY red last year

alanR Apr 7, 2010 11:37 am

Originally Posted by moeve (Post 13726729)
That is just it they are NOT making money in fact if I remember correctly their balance sheet was VERY red last year

This year they expect to make a profit of €310 million after tax - last year they had lots of problems with writing off a loss in Aer Lingus and high fuel prices

alanR Apr 7, 2010 11:38 am

Originally Posted by debonairy (Post 13726423)
Seems they want to use the hold to carry cargo and make money from that.

But many of the airports they use don't have facilities for cargo - and I'm willing to bet that the profit on luggage is far higher than on cargo

debonairy Apr 9, 2010 4:21 am

Originally Posted by alanR (Post 13727012)
But many of the airports they use don't have facilities for cargo - and I'm willing to bet that the profit on luggage is far higher than on cargo

The article mentioned that the rate for cargo is higher than luggage. But if they operate from airports with no cargo facilities then it makes no sense. They might be trying to reduce turnaround time or weight then.

alanR Apr 9, 2010 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by debonairy (Post 13738677)
The article mentioned that the rate for cargo is higher than luggage. But if they operate from airports with no cargo facilities then it makes no sense. They might be trying to reduce turnaround time or weight then.

Turnaround time on Ryanair is typically 30 minutes and given what Ryanair charge for luggage I'd be really surprised if they could charge more for cargo

Keyser Apr 13, 2010 2:19 am

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO (Post 13723976)
Yet another reason to never fly ryanair.

completely agree....