Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Taxes, Ryanair.com?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2010, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Question No Taxes, Ryanair.com?

Hello. I'm just using these little carriers to hop around Europe this summer for the first time. My husband flew on EasyJet and had a decent experience, so I was thinking of going with them but then I checked the same trips on Ryanair.com and I see that sometimes you are offered "No taxes" vs. "Taxes" flights. I assume I'll get shafted where I take off from with the fees and taxes if I buy a no-tax flight but really I have no experience so thought I'd ask. Some flights I need are only offered "tax free" for amazingly low rates so there must be a catch!

I'll check out Vueling as well now. Thanks all for the tips.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:14 am

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
There is no catch, believe me.

P.S. Ryanair sells around 70million seats per annum so it hardly qualiflies as a "little carrier".
Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
See responses to your similar post in the other thread.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 9:39 am
lof

No tax

With no tax Ryanair just mean that your ticket costs less. It is like an offer price and usually those prices are available only for a short period of time and when you buy months in advance.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:40 am

Programs: CO
Watch out with ryan with luggage and different fees that they charge. And if you want to rest or really relax on there flight good luck they are constantly attempting to sell you things during the flight. I flew them once from GDN to STN and never again. It was cramped seating, early morning flight and they were constantly on the PA trying to sell me things.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:38 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by notyouraveragejt
Watch out with ryan with luggage and different fees that they charge. And if you want to rest or really relax on there flight good luck they are constantly attempting to sell you things during the flight. I flew them once from GDN to STN and never again. It was cramped seating, early morning flight and they were constantly on the PA trying to sell me things.
In the movie AIPLANE, I seem to remember hawkers coming through the cabin selling things.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:24 am

this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3so6AJe4UQ , quite apposite ryanair
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold OWE
Does anyone know if the "no taxes" FR flights are more likely to be canceled than the "full fare" flights or does it not make a difference, from experience? Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not 'no taxes' flights vs 'full fare' flights.

Every flight has a mixture of numerous individual ticket prices, and I'm pretty sure that any 'no taxes' offer is limited to a certain number of qualifying passengers, beyond which the only direction is to more expensive fares.

So the answer to your question would be no.

Having said that, all Ryanair flights to/from STN are pulled today, in addition to all other carriers to/from LON from 11:00, because of the volcanic cloud heading this way.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 3:50 am

Programs: Priority BA Exec Club Air Miles
Just be aware when flying on Ryanair that your destination airport may not not be as close to your destination city as you may hope! Its always worth checking excatly where you airport is located.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True, though, strange as it may seem, FR fly to far more 'normal' airports than legacy airlines. It's a question of numbers.

FR fly to far more destinations than anybody else in Europe. Just take a look at http://www.ryanair.com/en/cheap-flight-destinations .

I've been to several cities not otherwise reachable by air from the UK, thanks to Ryanair.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:51 pm

Programs: CO
Originally Posted by charlie2025
this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3so6AJe4UQ , quite apposite ryanair
I thought that was a Ryanair safety video. I am shocked they didn't charge to watch the safety video.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Gold/Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by toplayer
Does anyone know if the "no taxes" FR flights are more likely to be canceled than the "full fare" flights or does it not make a difference, from experience? Thanks!
It doesn't. They will only cancel a flight if the demand for it is low or not making a profit in a period.
Besides even if it a no tax fare. You still pay a credit card fee and online check in fee, check in luggage fee, onboard refreshment sale etc.
So they get the money out of you.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luvintheair
Besides even if it a no tax fare. You still pay a credit card fee and online check in fee, check in luggage fee, onboard refreshment sale etc.
As so often with travel, YMMV. FR describe these as 'optional' charges as there are ways around them, often discussed on FT.

'Offer' fares usually have NO online check in fee, NO luggage fee if just taking hand baggage and NO onboard refreshment fee if you don't buy refreshments on board. @:-) There's NO credit card fee if you pay by prepaid MasterCard.

Today's offer prices are from £/€6 each way. Yup, £/€6 all in if you check in online, just take hand baggage, don't buy refreshments on board and use a prepaid MasterCard to pay.

In the past I have bought FR tickets for £0.01 each way all in. Sadly, I don't expect to see those prices again but £/€6 each way all in isn't bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.