Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MAD & LIS Star Alliance lounges

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
MAD & LIS Star Alliance lounges

Can anyone who has been to both airports recently share their experiences on what Star Alliance lounges are available and what they offer? I am flying Spainair code share on TAP and I am a Star Alliance Gold member.

I have lots of time to kill in MAD and not so much in LIS and would like to use this time to be as comfortable as possible. Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2010, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
The JK lounge in MAD is new and quite nice. Not much to eat but snacks and a good drinks/press selection. The TAP lounge in LIS, much like the airport, is best avoided as long as possible. Luckily the airport is close in to the city and there are plenty of things you can do nearby.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by alanw
The TAP lounge in LIS, much like the airport, is best avoided as long as possible.
Have you been there recently?

I personally like the new TAP lounge in LIS a lot (but you have to get used to the science-fiction theme first ). They have a very nice selection of snacks and drinks. Certainly a lot better than any Spanair lounge I have ever seen. (To be honest, I have not been in a lot of Spanair lounges. But the one I have to use regularly (BCN) is a very sad affair…)

To the OP: the above mentioned TAP lounge is the one you'll have to use in LIS. It can be difficult to find the first time: more or less in the middle of the shopping area, a narrow(ish) door (I think next to a newspaper shop). It was discussed last year in this thread.

Last edited by Koby; Mar 14, 2010 at 5:52 am
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:13 am

The JK lounge in MAD is new and quite nice. Not much to eat but snacks and a good drinks/press selection. The TAP lounge in LIS, much like the airport, is best avoided as long as possible. Luckily the airport is close in to the city and there are plenty of things you can do nearby.
You cant have been to Lisbon airport for quite a while,as the new TAP lounge is vastly better than the old one.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 4:05 pm

OK, OK, I haven't been there in a while!
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
The TAP lounge in LIS, much like the airport, is best avoided as long as possible. Luckily the airport is close in to the city and there are plenty of things you can do nearby.
The old TAP lounge wasn't THAT bad, and the "new" one is great. Could it be that you were parked in the lounge used by AF?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 5:05 pm
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
TAP's Premium Lounge is indeed top notch. You can check a report of mine here.
But alanw is definitely right in one thing: if you can and have time, go to the city!
Old Mar 15, 2010, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
The SpanAir lounge is as bad as all of T1 in MAD. However, it is even worse because it is far away from the LH gates.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
On July 2nd I spend almost three hours at the Spainair Lounge in Madrid and it was nice. Close to gate D60 which was our gate. It has a nice view of the taxi ways and very spaces. Many free computers and plenty to drink. Staff spoke very little English and were contract people not Spainair staff. We enjoyed the lounge, the clean bathrooms and the open spaces.

On July 16th we were flying out of Terminal 1 so we used the private lounge. Not as nice but better bathrooms, open space. No wi fi and two computer terminals. We liked Spainair’s lounge better but we were not allowed to leave T2.

On July 15th we used TAP’s Lisbon lounge was also a nice lounge. Great spread of food in the morning, we were stuffed. They even have a baby refrigerated section which I thought was great. Lots of reading material and large screen TV on the wall to see what is going on. No view to the outside world and the bathroom were few and poor.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
On July 15th we used TAP’s Lisbon lounge was also a nice lounge. Great spread of food in the morning, we were stuffed. They even have a baby refrigerated section which I thought was great.
I prefer a croissant and coffee for breakfast, but I suppose it would fill one up!
Old Jul 18, 2010, 3:48 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
The SpanAir lounge is as bad as all of T1 in MAD. However, it is even worse because it is far away from the LH gates.
When you fly with LH you can use an AENA lounge named 'Tauromaquia' - it is located much closer to gates LH normally uses.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA GS
Hi there,

UA 1K flying ORD-PHL-MAD-OPO. Star Alliance website says no lounge access offered in Madrid as a 1K in TAP business and with a United Club membership. Is this really the case? Does TAP contract with a lounge for business class passengers?

If we don't have lounge access, we may just fly ORD-EWR-OPO.

Thanks,
jsl42
Old Feb 28, 2013, 6:02 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jsl42
Hi there,

UA 1K flying ORD-PHL-MAD-OPO. Star Alliance website says no lounge access offered in Madrid as a 1K in TAP business and with a United Club membership. Is this really the case? Does TAP contract with a lounge for business class passengers?

If we don't have lounge access, we may just fly ORD-EWR-OPO.

Thanks,
jsl42
Removing the United Club membership, the website shows you should have access to a contract lounge at MAD - AENA Puerta del Sol. Entering a membership - US, UA or AC would limit your choices, i. e. not include contract lounges even if you're flying Business/First as most carriers only contract for those customers. I have been able to access those though with an Economy boarding pass and *Gold card. Not sure if it works all the time but in your case should be a non-issue. I'll be traveling through MAD in couple of weeks, I can post more about access and lounge offerings then.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Sorry for dragging up an old thread. I will be traveling to TER in the Azores in July for a field project and I am looking at a long layerover in LIS.. *A lounge finder comes up zero if I say I am on a united flight as *G (LIS-EWR) but finds availability as LIS-EWR on TAP..

Can *AG access the lounges in LIS when on United?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
You have the ANA lounge in LIS, and if you're flying TP or UA you'll have access to it. The lounge is ok-ish, but nothing to write home about. Simple sandwiches, no hot food options, lots of coffee/soft drinks/wine options. Free showers if you bring your own towel, otherwise 15€ for the towel/shower kit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.