Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

CSA to start buy-on-board service (?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CSA to start buy-on-board service (?)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2008, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Unhappy CSA to start buy-on-board service (?)

Like many bad news, this is also released on a Friday.. My czech is not so good but from what I can gather from this press release using automated translating, Czech Airlines will start charging for food in economy class:

http://www.csanews.cz/cs/news/news_t...z_12122008.htm

If this is so it is really bad news. I've always appreciated that OK offers a good service level in all classes but now it seems less so. Though food onboard has detoriated lately it is still there at least.

Furthermore, SkyTeam used to be the only alliance where all their European carriers offered full service free of charge (except the associate members). Now that seems not to be the case anymore. Can anyone who understands czech give us some more details?
Old Dec 12, 2008, 7:22 am

Programs: LH Senator ★
Fortunately, free food and drinks stay.
They will only sell extra food and extra alcoholic drinks in economy, which you could not buy yet. Some newspaper already posted this news story, and were promptly sued by CSA, which explained that free food stays.
From 29.3. there will be new food in Economy (selection of sandwiches)
Old Dec 12, 2008, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by JanoS-
Fortunately, free food and drinks stay.
They will only sell extra food and extra alcoholic drinks in economy, which you could not buy yet. Some newspaper already posted this news story, and were promptly sued by CSA, which explained that free food stays.
From 29.3. there will be new food in Economy (selection of sandwiches)
So no more alcohol in Y then? Looks like the Air Berlin setup where you get a small sandwich but can buy a real meal.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 4:54 am
Original Poster

English press-release available

Well the press-release has been translated by CSA now and is available here:

http://www.csanews.cz/en/news/news_t...z_12122008.htm

They talk about an upgraded offering. I think the common FT experience is that when an airline talks about any upgrade to their service, it usually means things are getting much worse Let's hope this isn't so.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gnopps
Well the press-release has been translated by CSA now and is available here:

http://www.csanews.cz/en/news/news_t...z_12122008.htm

They talk about an upgraded offering. I think the common FT experience is that when an airline talks about any upgrade to their service, it usually means things are getting much worse Let's hope this isn't so.
Their wording is certainly quite confusing.

Originally Posted by CSA
The scope of the offer of basic refreshments in Economy Class will remain unchanged
Bear in mind that they have long used the word refreshments to refer to the whole Y-class food&beverage offering, including beer (and maybe some vile wine?) and hot food for the longer flights.
Quite why anyone would choose to buy a baguette over accepting a complimentary dish of cold cuts and small sweet is beyond me.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 1:43 pm

Programs: CSA OK+ Gold, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Accor Club Platinum
Only in flights over 1,5 hours?

I read the translation - I imagine done by a former Delphic priestess - but I divine from the 'information' that for the time being it is only relevant for flights over 1.5 hours (they correctly inferred that otherwise changing crowns back into Euro, asking the other passengers for change etc. will result in non-delivery of basic refreshments after row 17 or so).

So they are going to charge for the Radegast or whatever beer they serve behind the curtains - at least in front they have Urquell (Prazdroj for the Czechs among us)

I also wonder that why being conferred the title of "Best airline in Central and Eastern Europe" for five or so consecutive years requires you to change suppliers (the economy class sandwiches are rather vile - that is true). But sufficient to grab the title.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 7:10 pm

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Originally Posted by Gnopps
Like many bad news, this is also released on a Friday.. My czech is not so good but from what I can gather from this press release using automated translating, Czech Airlines will start charging for food in economy class:

http://www.csanews.cz/cs/news/news_t...z_12122008.htm

If this is so it is really bad news. I've always appreciated that OK offers a good service level in all classes but now it seems less so. Though food onboard has detoriated lately it is still there at least.

Furthermore, SkyTeam used to be the only alliance where all their European carriers offered full service free of charge (except the associate members). Now that seems not to be the case anymore. Can anyone who understands czech give us some more details?
It looks like another thing copied from Air Canada!
Old Feb 15, 2009, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Unhappy Starting today

A new press release has been issued (so far in Czech only) stating that their new onboard product starts today.

I can't really make out exactly what you get for free anymore. Beer will come at a charge, but on their example menu beer is included. Perhaps one drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) is free and then you have to pay? A list of the prices can be found here: http://www.csa.cz/en/portal/CSA_EXTRA/inflight_menu.htm. Though service ought to be free, the prices at least aren't horrendous.

In the press release they mention that the CSA on-board refreshments have been receiving very high marks in surveys, funny that they then change it..
Old Feb 15, 2009, 8:44 am

Standard service = still free
First phase = cash only, czech crowns, Euros, and 'other free-changeable currencies'

Buy-On-Board is valid only on short-distance. Domestic & Long-distance unaffected

I presume that you get one cold&one hot drink for free. And the selection will be limited. I am flying only in 2 weeks, so someone can probably test-flight it sooner.

J.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 2:08 pm

Free drinks are these:
* water
* juice (what kinds? not tomato, probably just orange & apple or only one of those)
* coffee
* tea
Everything extra is paid
Old Feb 15, 2009, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Free drinks are these:
* water
* juice (what kinds? not tomato, probably just orange & apple or only one of those)
* coffee
* tea
Everything extra is paid
Funny, so sodas are not? Please report back JanoS when you have flown what the service is like. Also please let us know if the meal service is changed! I haven't flown them much in economy but heard that you get less now than you used to 2-3 years ago.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 3:23 pm

Reported by a CSA employee from his/hers first day of paid drinks:
"Stuff does not sell at all. People are annoyed/mad, they are staying at the free (meager) service. On my first line today, nothing was sold, neither on return flight. On my second line we sold stuff for 17 EUR. This won't change the airline financial numbers, but the comfort of passengers was changed (and I felt that)"

Or as someone else noted:
7x Beer = 14 euro
3x soda = 3 euro
130 angry passengers = priceless

And yes, it looks that you have to pay for soda.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Applies to almost all flights

Below is the info sent out to travel agents. So this applies to all flights except long-haul and very short haul:
EFF 15FFEB9, Y/CL PASSENGERS HAVE THE OPTION OF PURCHASING BEVERAGES
AND SNACKS, IN ADDITION TO THE FREE STANDARD REFRESHMENTS PROVIDED,
ON ALL SCHEDULED FLIGHTS, EXCEPT A310, OSR, BRQ, KLV
AND FLIGHTS OPERATED BY JOBAIR.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reported by a CSA employee from his/hers first day of paid drinks:
"Stuff does not sell at all. People are annoyed/mad, they are staying at the free (meager) service. On my first line today, nothing was sold, neither on return flight. On my second line we sold stuff for 17 EUR. This won't change the airline financial numbers, but the comfort of passengers was changed (and I felt that)"

Or as someone else noted:
7x Beer = 14 euro
3x soda = 3 euro
130 angry passengers = priceless

And yes, it looks that you have to pay for soda.
That's great. It means the initiative will be a failure and get rescinded. Let's get writing to them!!
Old Feb 16, 2009, 3:58 am
Original Poster

English press release

The english translation of the press release is now available:

http://www.csanews.cz/en/news/news_t...z_12022009.htm

They have the ususal airline marketing language:
Czech Airlines recently made a major change to its Economy Class in-flight service with the start of the winter season, when it introduced a more diverse and richer offering and better adapted the choice of meals to the time of day.
Translation = Everybody used to get a full meal but now we have diversified this with either a small sandwich or smaller one depending on if you're lucky with the time of the your flight is departing or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.