Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

So, official, CSA will not be sold....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2009, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, FB Silver, BA Silver, AMB PC Plat Amb, CX Gold, Hertz 5*,HH Gold,AClub Plat

http://praguemonitor.com/2009/10/27/...czech-airlines
Old Oct 27, 2009, 5:06 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Platinum)
To save folks a click:

From Czech Radio's English service:
http://www.radio.cz/en/news/121589

Czech Airlines remain in state hands

The Czech government has decided not to sell its majority stake in the national carrier, Czech Airlines. It based its decision on Monday on a recommendation by the Finance Minister Eduard Janota. The decision means that a 92 percent share in the troubled carrier will remain in state hands. The Czech-Icelandic consortium of Unimex/Travel Service was the only remaining bidder in the tender, after Air France-KLM dropped out. Czech Airlines has posted record losses this year, leading to a new CEO, Miroslav Dvořák, being named last week. He has negotiated wage cuts with the unions.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 6:32 pm

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
No takers?

I am not surprised a bit. Messr. Tvrdik and Lasak drove that once great airline to the ground.

I feel sorry for those who have built status and huge mileage accounts flying OK.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 1:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
As long as they keep the planes in the air and benefits for Elites, go CSA! Will continue to use them, as they provide better service compared to AF/KLM.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, FB Silver, BA Silver, AMB PC Plat Amb, CX Gold, Hertz 5*,HH Gold,AClub Plat
Originally Posted by CAlex
As long as they keep the planes in the air and benefits for Elites, go CSA! Will continue to use them, as they provide better service compared to AF/KLM.
Well, planes in the air to N. America are gone, so no more nice upgrades to Business for those flights and it seems no awards at all to JFK yet via DL.

So , intra Europe, all that is left really, OK, but they have ruined a great service and plan to N. America already.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 6:10 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Only two or three years ago they had two daily flights to NYC (JFK and EWR) during the summer. Perhaps they'll buy those new long haul planes after all and change their mind to the summer time table..
Old Oct 29, 2009, 2:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
If they will not sell it they need to move in one of the 2 directions:
- restrict flights to intra-European and join the longer list of small carriers (Malev, Tarom, etc)
- re-open flights to US and potentially Asia, to make the airlien compete more with carriers like Finnair, Austrian, etc.

I would like to see CSA open some routes to Asia, as currently Skyteam is very weak on that side, and flying from Prague to HKG/BKK/KUL is more logical than Paris or Amsterdam.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great stuff!
Personally, I am not bothered about N. America, there is too much competition on those routes....but some more Asian flights would be great.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 4:23 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
flying from Prague to HKG/BKK/KUL is more logical than Paris or Amsterdam.
Is there any meaningful O&D traffic between PRG and HKG/BKK/KUL at all?
Old Oct 29, 2009, 11:57 pm
Tel

Programs: old,FB gold,BMI silver,QR Gold,HH Gold.SPG Gold BA Silver
Originally Posted by Vaclav
I am not surprised a bit. Messr. Tvrdik and Lasak drove that once great airline to the ground.

I feel sorry for those who have built status and huge mileage accounts flying OK.

I have 105000 miles and struggling ( no more MAN flights ). All I want is 120000 and then I'm out.
To purchase the extra 15000 miles would cost 9900 Kc= £350 - madness.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 9:04 am

Programs: FB, OK+, MS, TK, Le Club, HH
Originally Posted by Tel
I have 105000 miles and struggling ( no more MAN flights ). All I want is 120000 and then I'm out.
They're meant to be returning to MAN when the summer schedules start up again, but their booking engine only seems to reflect the current services; even when the flight you want is shown in the PDF schedule download.

Really annoying as I was looking to make an award booking for a weekend in Prague; as a birthday treat, in May.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:17 am

If they will not sell it they need to move in one of the 2 directions:
- restrict flights to intra-European and join the longer list of small carriers (Malev, Tarom, etc)
- re-open flights to US and potentially Asia, to make the airlien compete more with carriers like Finnair, Austrian, etc.

I would like to see CSA open some routes to Asia, as currently Skyteam is very weak on that side, and flying from Prague to HKG/BKK/KUL is more logical than Paris or Amsterdam.
They used to fly to BKK and that route was cut looooong before the NA routes, back in the day when things were still good. So I really cannot see them bringing it back now it if didn't make sense even then.

As far as other long-haul routes go, the economies of scale of operating one or two planes of the same type are pretty unforgivable.

And even if that weren't true, the company is staying in government hands for now, so I wouldn't hold my breath for much new investment into the company.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 6:12 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by Tel
what happens if you'll have 120k?
Old Nov 6, 2009, 6:14 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by Vaclav

well, I did
I just hope it will not went to .... before I got my primary goal in CSA (2x business class round the world), but I spent like 100k on my wife alone this year, but building up above 230k now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.