Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL. First time renting. Probably with Alamo. Help!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:55 am
Original Poster

ATL. First time renting. Probably with Alamo. Help!

Hello! This will be my first time hiring a car, so I need all the help I can get.

WHERE/WHEN: So, I'm going for a Deep South road trip with the girlfriend. Two weeks, starting and finishing in Atlanta. We land on Sunday May 3rd at about 3PM, leaving around the same time on May 16.

THE CAR: Somehow I have my mind set on a convertible. The sites all seem to say 'Ford Mustang or similar'. The best deal I can find is going for Alamo, via Netflights.com.

They're quoting me £392 (about $595) for 13 days. Includes: Unlimited Mileage, Collision Damage Waiver, Loss Damage Waiver, Theft Protection Insurance, Local & State Taxes, Supplemental Liability Ins., Airport Surcharge, Zero Excess

Is this good? Can anyone find a better deal? Is Alamo good? And how does it all work? I've heard people pay, and then go pick a car from a big parking lot. Does it really work like that?

I've also heard that you're never guaranteed what you get, and people get upgraded. Do I go for an 'Intermediate' and hope to upgrade to a convertible?

Also, do I want a Mustang? I'd be interested to know if anyone has experience renting from Alamo ATL and can say what cars they have.

Also, also, If I land at 3 in ATL, what time should I book the car for?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:26 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by kingofrandomness
<snip>

THE CAR: Somehow I have my mind set on a convertible. The sites all seem to say 'Ford Mustang or similar'. The best deal I can find is going for Alamo, via Netflights.com.

They're quoting me £392 (about $595) for 13 days. Includes: Unlimited Mileage, Collision Damage Waiver, Loss Damage Waiver, Theft Protection Insurance, Local & State Taxes, Supplemental Liability Ins., Airport Surcharge, Zero Excess

Is this good? Can anyone find a better deal? Is Alamo good? And how does it all work? I've heard people pay, and then go pick a car from a big parking lot. Does it really work like that?

I've also heard that you're never guaranteed what you get, and people get upgraded. Do I go for an 'Intermediate' and hope to upgrade to a convertible?

<snip>

Also, also, If I land at 3 in ATL, what time should I book the car for?
It's an excellent price. Checking the price for booking a similar car through Costco Travel, which generally has the best prices on Alamo bookings, a standard convertible is quoted at $763 for that period of time; that's not including the various insurance coverages that are included in your quote.

Alamo and National are generally co-located and share fleets. Once you have your contract, you select a car on the lot from the car class that you reserved (the cars are parked in designated lanes). Sometimes, depending on inventory, upgrades will be available (i.e., full sized cars in the intermediate lane, etc.). I have never seen convertibles parked in intermediate or full sized lanes, but who knows.

Almost all North America based rental car companies guarantee only a class of car, not an individual models.

I have no recent experience renting in Atlanta, so I'm not about to begin speculating on what car you may end up getting.

Lastly, allow yourself an hour and a half to two hours to clear immigration and customs, collect your luggage and get to the Rental Car Center.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:56 pm

great choice for your first road trip-southern hospitality is a very true phrase

we've always used alamo & never had any reason to look elsewhere. prices & staff alway very good, cars clean, undamaged & with low mileage (maybe we're lucky)

as you've read, you choose a car from the isle, there's no guarentee that the car you want will be there. the cars all have keys in so make your choice & drive away! it may seem a bit odd the first time but it does work.

their inventory may be low when you arrive. weekends can be busy & cars that have been rented over the weekend need to be processed & valeted before they appear on the isles. dont be worried by this, the isles are never empty. you'll be the luckiest person alive if you find a mustang on the intermediate isle!!. one option could be to book a different group-ie full size, when you arrive go through to the parking area & have a look what's in the isles, you could the negotiate a upgrade rather than being dissapointed by finding they only have 200's & no mustangs..

how much luggage are you taking/returning. a convertable is very cool & appealing but you'll only have room for a couple of bags, so if you think you may be buying things as you go, this is something to bare in mind. also have you though of temperatures?? will be around 80 deg ( thats about 26-28 in english money). when it gets hot you'll find a lot of convertables with the tops up.

if your landing at 3pm, I would'nt book till 4.30-5.00. dont worry if you arrive before your booked time. we've arrive 30mins early & never had an issue.

happy road trip...
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:17 am

I did a similar trip to this in August last year. I had a Luxury Category booked (Alamo) and had a choice of MB C250 or Lincoln MKZ. Sadly I cant comment on the convertible but I have seen Mustangs and Camaros V6 at other locations. I know from renting a camaro SS Cabrio from hertz the boot is tiny and you will not get a suitcase in with the roof up or down. Also if you can use the automated Alamo Check in machine it saves you from the dealings of the desk clerks who can bamboozel you with unwanted add ons.

Just out of curiosity where are you going on your road trip?. I hope New Orleans is on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.