FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Car Rental Programs (ie. Alamo, Enterprise) (closed to posting) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-car-rental-programs-ie-alamo-enterprise-closed-posting-595/)
-   -   Opinions on this Alamo Honolulu reservation? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-car-rental-programs-ie-alamo-enterprise-closed-posting/912276-opinions-alamo-honolulu-reservation.html)

face_case Jan 19, 2009 8:31 pm

Opinions on this Alamo Honolulu reservation?

Have been scouring this page and others for weeks now.. and wanted to post some rates for feedback on whether I should stop now.. I'm not sure I can get them any lower, but I hate to quit looking if there is a possibility to pinch some more coin!

So, booking a convertible in Hawaii (Waikiki) from Feb 9-17, or Feb 10-17 - The difference is because we land on the 9, but debating on taking a cab to hotel for first nite, as this will save us the $25 daily parking fee and the rate for picking it up on the 10th @ the ala moana location is much cheaper *but* this makes it difficult to have a back-up plan at the airport should I encounter issues with the contract id I've used.. So, I'm on the fence. But so far, this is what I have:

Alamo - contract id & $25 coupon code AD60212DL via Alamo.com
Picking up on the 10th at the Ala Moana location, returning on the 17 at the airport
Est. Total is 220.00

Alamo - same codes as above, but picking up on the 9th and returning on the 17th, airport both locations
Est. Total is 309.65

Hertz - using the controversial F&F CDP - I'm aware that it may not work - picking up on the 9th, returning on 17, both airport
Est. Total is $245.00

Thrifty - picking up and return at airport, 9-17
Est Total is $368.00

Avis - picking up and retunr to airport, 9-17
using AWD A963000
Est. Total is $360.00

Any tips, ideas.. should I go with the first Alamo since it is the cheapest? I also have the entertainment book and a AAA membership, but haven't gotten any great rates from either

Tuneman1984 Jan 19, 2009 9:49 pm

First of all welcome to FlyerTalk! What contract ID are you using for the Alamo rate? I agree that the Hertz one is risky; they'd generally ask for ID on that one. Thrifty and Dollar make it a policy of not asking for ID on corp accounts except for Government or staff, and National seems to be the same. It's going to be a lot cheaper picking up on the 10th since you won't be paying airport tax or your hotel's parking fee. The other thing to consider is luggage: If you get something like the Sebring, where the soft top folds into the trunk, there's room for carry-on at best. This happened to me in Toronto and I wound up returning the convertible a day early and picking up a Cobalt just for the last day.

Also be careful about making back-up plans on a convertible. Most agencies consider it a guaranteed vehicle as they are in high demand and often short supply at a sun destination. Failing to cancel without adequate notice (usually 24 hours) could leave you paying one day's charge as a penalty, and likely at the rack rate.

Let us know your parameters and we'll help you find the best deal using a safe CDP/contract ID. I don't condone using any contract IDs you don't qualify for, but qualification is a loose term in and of itself. Basically, use the same degree of honesty that you would when completing your tax return. :D

Happy travels!

face_case Jan 19, 2009 10:06 pm

Tuneman, thanks for the reply! :) I'm a long time lurker, but finally decided to post, as I've gotten a lot of great info from this site, so who better to turn to for help?!

I too, agree that the Hertz is a risky one, but my thoughts were that we could give it a shot, if it was a no-go, just cancel on the spot?

None of the reservations ask for a cc, so I didn't even think I could be charged.. but, I did plan on keeping just one back up and canceling once I (hopefully) get my preferred rental

The alamo contract it is 7014266; and it doesn't seem as though too many people have had a problem with this one, but also, I've yet to find out where it actually came from... have read possibly a South American travel agency?

Overall, I'm fine with picking up on the 10th, I figure take a cab to the hotel, which is about $35, as we won't be going out (other than Dukes for a sunset mai tai!) that nite.. too tired from the 11 hr flight!

Also, yes, it will save me a day of car rental fee's and also the $25 valet fee. However, I'm just concerened that the id may give me an issue; don't know if the ala moana counter is smaller, where they may pay more attention to things; and if that should happen, I wouldn't have the convenience of the airport - where I could walk to a different counter, possibly negotiate, etc. So, what are your thoughts?

PS - I've tried several combo's of Budget and Avis codes I've found here and Oh.. & I like the tax analogy, good one!

mr.brodie Jan 19, 2009 10:38 pm

My vote is for the first Alamo method.

In addition to cost (likely due to the one week rate), traffic might be heavy and you may be tired and a taxi will likely expedite you to your hotel (and hence wherever else you might want to get to).

Driving yourself back to their location near the airport can be done more leisurely.

Be nice if you could partake of their $10 a day promo but that might become overly complicated.

face_case Jan 19, 2009 10:47 pm

Mr Brodie, thanks.. but what is the $10 a day promo you speak of? I must've missed that one!

Also, I'm planning on getting their free shuttle from the hotel on the 10th to go pick up the car at their location near Ala Moana, then will return the car to the airport at the end of our vacation.

Let me know about the $10 a day deal if you can.. thanks!

mr.brodie Jan 19, 2009 11:48 pm

You are welcome.

The promo is on the first page of their website and is $10 a day over a 4 day weekend and runs until the end of May. Bookings for 2 days, 4 days and then 1 day might work out cheaper but you will have to play with their reservation system to find out. Or you could just rent for 4 days and use The Bus, taxi or walk, for the rest.

I have been known to drive VERY slowly in the direction of the airport because I never want to leave.

Tuneman1984 Jan 20, 2009 1:10 am

Originally Posted by mr.brodie (Post 11107371)
You are welcome.

The promo is on the first page of their website and is $10 a day over a 4 day weekend and runs until the end of May. Bookings for 2 days, 4 days and then 1 day might work out cheaper but you will have to play with their reservation system to find out. Or you could just rent for 4 days and use The Bus, taxi or walk, for the rest.

I have been known to drive VERY slowly in the direction of the airport because I never want to leave.

Unfortunately Honolulu has dropped out as a participating location in that promo, another FTer ran into problems with it. I read on the master thread in this forum.

gpayer Jan 20, 2009 11:28 am

I priced out your reservation using 02/09 noon - 02/17 noon.

Use Contract: 7014302 (Entertainment book contract number)
Use Rate Code: QVWHI (Hawaii promotional code for convertibles & SUVs)
Coupon Code: AD60212DL

Airport location: $204.63 total
Ala Moana location: $204.63 total

Doesn't appear that the airport code is adding any additional charges. Just a word of warning - we did this in 2005 (got our car from the Ala Moana National - which is the same office) and their selection was limited. In fact, most of those cars had scraps and dents, whereas the airport seemed to have the newer vehicles. Not sure if that matters to you or not.

Also, I noticed that convertibles are no longer coming up for that date. So, be sure not to cancel your existing reservation to use these codes. Instead - modify your existing reservation to ensure you don't lose the convertible availability.

face_case Jan 20, 2009 3:38 pm

gpayer.. was so excited when I saw your reply!!

But, when I did as you mentioned, the only options I get are a standard or midsize SUV.. could I modify my exsisting reservations with the new codes?

Will try that now, then update.. either way, thank you so much for you help!

face_case Jan 20, 2009 3:44 pm

just attempted to modify my exisitng reservation & it must be the rate code, as it only brings up SUV's.. maybe they are out of stock on convertibles?

The price is right.. but no convertible, and when I remove the rate code, I see them, but the price is about $50 higher?

But, I guess then they aren't out if I see them (convertibles) for rent without the rate code? Hmm... any ideas?

mr.brodie Jan 20, 2009 9:01 pm

You are getting warmer as the convertible that you magically found is $50 less than your original Alamo #2 ? But $50 more than what gpayer found earlier ?

face_case Jan 20, 2009 9:16 pm

Actually, neither.. When I use the rate code, convertibles are not an option, only SUV's and the price is close to $300 from the 9th-17th. I've tried this with both new reservations and also modifying my original reservation.

When I remove the rate code, using only the id and coupon, convertibles are again an option, yet, the rate is over $300, around $350 I think.

What I have now is better than that; as one picking up from Ala Moana on the 10th is $220, and the other picking up on the 9th from the airport is $309.

Not sure why the rate code does not show convertibles as an option for rental, but that seems to be the problem.

I appreciate taking the time to list the options for me to play around with though.. however, I'm still stuck and cannot seem to find a better rate..

Any last ideas? I have a few more weeks, so I still have time to play..

Tuneman1984 Jan 20, 2009 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by face_case (Post 11113332)
I appreciate taking the time to list the options for me to play around with though.. however, I'm still stuck and cannot seem to find a better rate..

Any last ideas? I have a few more weeks, so I still have time to play..

Get the VIN for one of their convertibles, have a key coded from your local dealership, and voila, free convertible in Hawaii :cool:

Other than that I'm fresh out of ideas... :D

face_case Jan 21, 2009 9:40 am

lol.. !!! If it was that easy to get things free, I just may consider living in the convertible so I don't ever have to come back home!

Anyway, thanks for all the help, just to update, I kept playing around last nite and got the 9-17 @ airport to $286, down from $309, so I'll take that! The $220 at the ala moana location is still better, but I'm worried about the other cdp, don't know where it came from and also, like someone else here had said, the Ala one is a smaller location, with less selection and may be slower, so they might have more time to look over the reservation and question it (the cdp).

I just couldn't get the Hawaii rate code to do anything, but no worries, I'm happy with the reservation I've got now.

Thanks again & happy travels all! ^