FireFly Car Rental

Old Dec 24, 14, 6:52 am
Original Poster

FireFly Car Rental

***DO NOT RENT FROM FIREFLY***
I was in the Orlando airport this past weekend, the lines were packed for rental cars, except for FireFly. It was completely empty. So I figured, why not? Let's see why this place is empty, the guy up front was friendly so I said I'll give it a shot. Well, now I know why there was no one in line!!! FireFly is such a rip off! I was told the insurance comes with the package and total price is $132.55. When I returned my car on Sunday, a tall gentleman circled the $132.55 on my receipt and said "Here is your final price." (which was the $132.55). Now as I am going through my credit card charges, I was charged $174. When I called the billing department, there is an automated message that says "Due to unforeseen circumstances, we are unable to take calls at this time" Hmmm, I wonder why!?!? When I called the Orlando FireFly desk, the guy stated that the extra charges were from the insurance- which the person who booked my car stated the insurance comes free and I do not get charged for it!! So when I told the guy on the phone says- he then later says, "Oh, you turned in the car so late (only 30 mins late since there is no gas station near the airport without going through a busy toll road!!!) then you get charged $20, I said where is the other $20 coming from then?! He said taxes! ...? I still was told my final charge is $132.55 when I returned my car and was taken to the terminal to be dropped off. And why did he claim its an insurance charge then changed his mind and claim it is a late charge (which was never told to me). Oh and the guy at the front when I first rented the car, told him my flight is at 3pm. So why would I need to turn in the car by 12:30 to sit in the airport for 2 hours?? This company will remain with no patrons and an empty line due do these lies and BS! BEWARE of FIREFLY!! DO NOT USE! Waiting in line at Enterprise or Budget is much better!
Old Dec 24, 14, 9:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Becoming familiar with tental car company detailed rules - one might receive from no grace at all for late returns to as much as four hours - before signing a contract.

By the way, FlyerTalk does not allow cross posting; we'll delete your duplicate post.

JDiver
Senior Moderator
Old Dec 26, 14, 4:55 pm

red flag...

No idea what the breadth of your experience is, with dancing with the car rental fairy, but anytime anyone is trying to sell you a "package" that includes insurance, the red flags of butterflies should be buzzing around your head, pelting you until you're into submission and wake up...

...I've only danced with the Firefly fairy once in LAS, which I've written about previously here, and although I have no idea if it's fair to extrapolate that negative experience to Firefly as a company, enterprise wide, fair or not, they're on my "don't even think 'bout it" list, anywhere.

But dancing with a car rental fairy when they offer you a "package" that includes insurance...that's like buying a year old tootsie roll and expecting it to taste good.

Originally Posted by FireFlySucks View Post
***DO NOT RENT FROM FIREFLY***
I was in the Orlando airport this past weekend, the lines were packed for rental cars, except for FireFly. It was completely empty. So I figured, why not? Let's see why this place is empty, the guy up front was friendly so I said I'll give it a shot. Well, now I know why there was no one in line!!! FireFly is such a rip off! I was told the insurance comes with the package and total price is $132.55. When I returned my car on Sunday, a tall gentleman circled the $132.55 on my receipt and said "Here is your final price." (which was the $132.55). Now as I am going through my credit card charges, I was charged $174. When I called the billing department, there is an automated message that says "Due to unforeseen circumstances, we are unable to take calls at this time" Hmmm, I wonder why!?!? When I called the Orlando FireFly desk, the guy stated that the extra charges were from the insurance- which the person who booked my car stated the insurance comes free and I do not get charged for it!! So when I told the guy on the phone says- he then later says, "Oh, you turned in the car so late (only 30 mins late since there is no gas station near the airport without going through a busy toll road!!!) then you get charged $20, I said where is the other $20 coming from then?! He said taxes! ...? I still was told my final charge is $132.55 when I returned my car and was taken to the terminal to be dropped off. And why did he claim its an insurance charge then changed his mind and claim it is a late charge (which was never told to me). Oh and the guy at the front when I first rented the car, told him my flight is at 3pm. So why would I need to turn in the car by 12:30 to sit in the airport for 2 hours?? This company will remain with no patrons and an empty line due do these lies and BS! BEWARE of FIREFLY!! DO NOT USE! Waiting in line at Enterprise or Budget is much better!
Old Dec 26, 14, 6:49 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by randix View Post
No idea what the breadth of your experience is, with dancing with the car rental fairy, but anytime anyone is trying to sell you a "package" that includes insurance, the red flags of butterflies should be buzzing around your head, pelting you until you're into submission and wake up...

...I've only danced with the Firefly fairy once in LAS, which I've written about previously here, and although I have no idea if it's fair to extrapolate that negative experience to Firefly as a company, enterprise wide, fair or not, they're on my "don't even think 'bout it" list, anywhere.

But dancing with a car rental fairy when they offer you a "package" that includes insurance...that's like buying a year old tootsie roll and expecting it to taste good.
Since rental agents are commissioned on the sales of extras like insurance, it's quite common for rental car agents to do this for walk-up customers as a way of securing some additional commission for themselves. If you call them on this, they'll simply raise the walk-up rate to the equivalent of what they were charging you for the rate plus insurance, so you pay the same either way.

It may or may not be ethical, depending on how you look at it, but it is what it is. The solution to this is to book in advance so you have a secured and guaranteed base rate and can decline the coverage and avoid spending that additional money. Rarely are walkups ever a better deal than advanced reservations.

It is not just FireFly that does this. I've seen it done at many companies, including Dollar, Thrifty, Budget, and Enterprise. (Typically the management of the higher-tier agencies--Hertz, Avis, and National--tend to frown on their employees engaging in this practice.)

I agree that it seems the extra charge was likely due to the 30-minute delay in returning. Many companies no longer offer a grace period, and one should not assume without checking that there is a grace period. It is, of course, the renter's responsibility to search out gas stations and plan adequate time to refuel before returning the vehicle.

Search this Thread