Renting SUV Ohio to California

Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Renting SUV Ohio to California

Hi all, first time posting

Im planning a winter drive from ohio to california and thought an SUV would be the best way to go. Im doing a round trip back to ohio. Total trip time : 2 weeks

My question is which of the following ways would be the mpst economical? I booked the 3 rentals through USAA

1) Hertz Full size - $230 (Would it be possible to upgrade to a 7 pass SUV?)
2) enterprise large pick up - $510 (will they switch to a 7 pass SUV for free?)
3) budget 7 pass SUV - $610 (What happens if they run out?)

Any input would be great, thanks guys
Old Nov 9, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
How many people do you have? Do you need a 7 passenger SUV? Or could you do with a regular size SUV?

If you need a SUV, don't count on getting one on a reservation with anything less than a SUV reservation. If you are flexible and could do with a car, then renting a car and hoping for an upgrade (either paid or not) is something you can try if you're happy eventually ending up in a car.

Another option would be to try National Car Rental and their Emerald Club service. There you get to pick a car and sometimes they have SUVS in the emerald aisle so you could take that on a midsize reservation. As a backup you could have a second reservation for a SUV so if there were none on the aisle, you could just use the one you reserved (just making sure to cancel whichever one you don't use before you drive out of the lot).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.