Hiring a convertible in LA

Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silv/Bron/Silv/Bron/Bron/Bron/Silver... Bronze.... Blue (in more ways than one)
Hiring a convertible in LA

I need to rent a car for the second half of a holiday in LA, and I want to get a convertible. Because I don't need a car for the first few days I would like to pick it up closer than the airport (where getting a convertible is easy, and reasonably priced). I will however return it to the airport upon my departure.

I have checked all the major rental Co's websites, and they just don't offer convertibles in the city (even confirmed that with a couple over the phone).

I'm staying in Hollywood, so I'm not that far from the airport, although I'm a little concerned how bad the traffic might be. Before I reserve one from LAX, anyone got any suggestions where else I might get one? Q2. I'd like to get the car as early in the day as possible (0800/0900), but I am aware that rush hour in LA is something to behold. Any thoughts on a 'safe' time to hit the roads in the morning - if I do need to go to LAX for the car, when will the traffic calm down?

Thanks

Rick
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Dates?

You could also check hotwire or priceline for LAX.
I would be prepared to expect a drop off fee if you do not rent from the airport.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silv/Bron/Silv/Bron/Bron/Bron/Silver... Bronze.... Blue (in more ways than one)
Mid November for 5 days.

Interesting. Both Hotwire and Priceline give me options not offered before. Especially surprising given that the suppliers are all majors, whose websites already declined to offer me the options...

..however, the price is over and beyond what I'd have expected/accepted, even accounting for a drop off charge. As such I will be booking at the airport and paying the cab fare!

My question about the earliest time it is wise to travel from Hollywood to LAX still remains - any thoughts FTers?

Thanks kxc262

Rick
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Rick A 1
Mid November for 5 days.

Rick
Since you are renting for 5 days, it may be cheaper to just book it at a weekly rate.

If you don't have any rental company preference, I would also try Autoslash.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:42 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Rick A 1
I'd like to get the car as early in the day as possible (0800/0900), but I am aware that rush hour in LA is something to behold. Any thoughts on a 'safe' time to hit the roads in the morning - if I do need to go to LAX for the car, when will the traffic calm down?
Los Angeles freeway traffic rarely has a midday lull, although ~ 10:30 AM - 2:30 PM can be slightly less bad depending on the day of the week. The morning rush hour traffic is best on Fridays. The evening rush hour traffic is lightest on Mondays. Thursday is the worst traffic day of the week.

Have you considered picking the car at BUR? From Hollywood, it's closer and more convenient than LAX.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:03 am
Original Poster

I would have loved to pick it up anywhere but the airport, but almost no agencies appeared to even offer a convertible at non-airport locations. Those that did wanted several hundred dollars extra. I have booked it for the airport now, at least it is only $40 fixed to get there....although who knows how long it will take...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.