Europcar - Residency do they check?

Old Aug 18, 14, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Europcar - Residency do they check?

Just curious, many of you know there are better rates around when you change your residency. Has anyone ever been pulled up on this?
Old Aug 19, 14, 3:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Checking Residency

Hi Simmo,

June 2013 purely by accident I was logged into the BA website (US page) and booked a Group F car which worked out at 13.50 a day for 28 days. Had I booked the same car from the UK page it would have been 2.3 times more expensive.

Also, I got given a 3 series BMW, Leather, Navigation, etc. I kept renewing the contract for 11 months (got the car changed after 7 months) until the car hire company called me up to say I was putting too many miles on the car and they wanted it back. I was doing about 4k miles a month.

I knew one day this would come to an end but didn't think I would get 11 months out of it. At not time was I asked to prove my residency (BTW I got the car through AVIS).

I've noticed on the Air Canada website, I can get an Insignia for 33% of the cost if I put my residency down as Canadian rather than UK. No car hire agent has ever questioned my residency before so I'm hoping to book a car from 01st September for 28 days. I don't know if the booking process allows me to do it recognising a UK IP address so will let you know the outcome.

I was going to Lease a car but worked out its cheaper to just rent as all servicing is paid, no mileage restrictions and no insurance to pay (although I pay 38 a month for excess insurance).

And a final perk. I'm now AVIS Presidents club level!!

Mountlodge
Old Aug 19, 14, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Was this for Europcar? Sounds great. Anyone had experiences in Australia?
Old Aug 20, 14, 8:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Cheaper Car Hire Rates

Hi Simmo,

Best way to try this is actually goto the websites and go through the process of booking a car without actually clicking on Purchase. Compare the BA website for the UK, then change your residency to either Canada, or US and put the same parameters in.

Presently, i find the Air Canada site gives me the best deals.

Have fun
ML

Search this Thread