Booking on Alamo's UK site for US rental

Old Aug 10, 14, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Booking on Alamo's UK site for US rental

I'm a US citizen flying from California to Pennsylvania later this year. I booked a car with Alamo for $286, using both my Insiders discount and Entertainment Book coupon. For grins I went to www.alamo.co.uk and booked the same car for $228 (converted to USD from GBP by their website) - and that's without a discount or coupon (nowhere to enter codes in the booking process). All fees/taxes are listed as covered in both, plus the UK website says that rate includes CDW and Extended Protection (whatever that is), which the US booking does not. Both bookings are unlimited mileage and pay at time of rental - not in advance. I told it I was a US resident, gave my California driver's license number and home address, and it accepted it all. Their SaveTime (online pre-checkin) even linked to www.alamo.com to add my driver info and it correctly filled my address when I typed my driver's license number. It shows the contract ID as "Alamo.co.uk PI FULLY".

The booking lists the cost in GBP and USD. Since I'm paying in the US, I assume my credit card (which is US-based) will be charged in USD. Is there any likelihood of problems when I pick up the UK booked rental?
Old Aug 10, 14, 10:47 pm

I would not advise it.

http://www.alamo.co.uk/helpfulinformation/us

"Prices given on this website are not applicable to residents of the USA or Canada or holders of USA or Canadian driving licenses. By making a reservation on this site you confirm that you reside outside the USA or Canada and are not a holder of a USA or Canadian driving license and accept that your reservation may be rejected at the time of pick-up if a USA or Canadian driving license is presented."

However if you did online check in fully and just need to proceed to the car, you stand a good chance of suceeding, with only the booth person you would need to pass.
Old Aug 11, 14, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Yellowjj,

Thank you for posting that. Looks like I'll cancel the reservation. Even though it accepted all my information, including my US license and address, they covered themselves with the line about rejecting the reservation at time of pickup. It's not worth the ~$60 to test whether they'll void the rental.
Old Aug 12, 14, 7:49 am

Just keep both bookings and cancel the one that doesn't work out? That's what I'd do..
Old Aug 17, 14, 2:36 am

Programs: HH Silver
From their "Helpful info" page.....

"We will not charge for reservations cancelled 7 days or more before your pick up time. If you cancel your booking after this time, the following charges apply:

If you cancel your booking less than 7 days before pick up time, you will be charged either the full cost of your booking or up to a maximum of 20 whichever is the lesser.
If you cancel your booking less than 24 hours before your pick up time, you will be charged either the full cost of your booking or up to a maximum of 50, whichever is the lesser."

Last edited by tatterdema; Aug 17, 14 at 2:45 am

Search this Thread