FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Car Rental Programs (ie. Alamo, Enterprise) (closed to posting) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-car-rental-programs-ie-alamo-enterprise-closed-posting-595/)
-   -   Enterprise buying used cars to rent out? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-car-rental-programs-ie-alamo-enterprise-closed-posting/1598089-enterprise-buying-used-cars-rent-out.html)

CTNYC Jul 28, 2014 12:31 am

Enterprise buying used cars to rent out?

My car got hit and is in the shop and I used Enterprise for my rental as it was more convenient and generally seems to have nicer cars for cheaper rates than Hertz's on insurance rentals. I was allocated a G37x in CT with CT plates. However, it had NYS registration stickers and I investigated and found out that Enterprise bought the car used earlier this year with ~28k miles on it (had 30k when I got it) I saw 2 other G37x, a Yukon and MKZ with new style CT plates and NYS stickers on their lot so I suspect that they were also bought used. Maybe they were dealer loaner cars that they scooped up cheaply? I believe I read that Enterprise has a contract with Dodge to buy off lease cars (1 year leases). Is this a trend now?

My G37x had a horrible metallic noise coming from the drive shaft when acceleration ~40mph to 70mph so I had to return the car. They treated me to a 2015 Acadia Denali with a free tank of gas as compensation.

kxc262 Jul 28, 2014 9:50 am

Quite surprising since Enterprise usually sells their cars at about ~30k.

CTNYC Jul 28, 2014 10:29 am

Yeah I thought Enterprise and its corporate sister National always had relatively low mileage cars (Generally ~30k or less) compared to Hertz where I rent from aside from on insurance rentals where it isn't out of the ordinary to get cars with up to 70k on them....

I checked out Enterprise car sales on other G37's and couldn't find one that was a lease and then a rental car (according to car fax), although many of the cars that Enterprise sells seem to actually be off lease cars rather than former rental cars. Maybe the car I got is one of a handful of guinea pigs to see if they are profitable/reliable?

symbols Jul 28, 2014 11:45 am

The car may have originally been a National rental in NY. Come time for registration renewal the car was higher milage and physically located CT so Enterprise took it over. I'm not sure if there are any franchise National locations in NY, but if so that could have been a factor. The G37 was one of my goto for full-size elite rentals with National. It has since been replaced with the Q50. I haven't seen a G37 on a National lot for maybe a year now.

CTNYC Jul 29, 2014 9:23 am

Originally Posted by symbols (Post 23270709)
The car may have originally been a National rental in NY. Come time for registration renewal the car was higher milage and physically located CT so Enterprise took it over. I'm not sure if there are any franchise National locations in NY, but if so that could have been a factor. The G37 was one of my goto for full-size elite rentals with National. It has since been replaced with the Q50. I haven't seen a G37 on a National lot for maybe a year now.

hmm- that does make a lot of sense too. Not a huge percentage of people put 28k miles on their car every year let alone trade it in yearly... And I've never gotten a dealer loaner car (Acura & Lexus) with more than 15k. I would assume that a "2" owner car will be worth less than a "1" owner car but I guess that the value difference is negligible in the real world.