No cars if i'm Australian

Old Jul 13, 14, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold
No cars if i'm Australian

Hi,

Trying to book on alamo for a car hire in Germany.

If i put in as an Australian Resident, it cannot find any cars, if I change to US resident it can find cars.

Any idea how to fix this? Any risks putting US resident?

- David
Old Jul 26, 14, 10:49 pm

move to america
Old Jul 28, 14, 5:44 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
I can't answer the question, but I can reproduce the problem. Maybe it is a geography based thing.

It gave me a price if I said I was from
US
Canada
Panama
Brazil
Iraq
Iceland

It said not valid if I said I was from
Australia
Japan
New Zealand
India
Northern Mariana Islands
Old Jul 30, 14, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by sosafan View Post
I can't answer the question, but I can reproduce the problem. Maybe it is a geography based thing.

It gave me a price if I said I was from
US
Canada
Panama
Brazil
Iraq
Iceland

It said not valid if I said I was from
Australia
Japan
New Zealand
India
Northern Mariana Islands
Not sure about the Northern Mariana Islands, but those other "no" countries all drive on the left. Could it be that Alamo don't trust you to be able to drive on the correct side of the road?
Old Jul 30, 14, 6:54 am
Jzo

Programs: MileagePlus Gold
Originally Posted by davem4 View Post
Hi,
Any idea how to fix this? Any risks putting US resident?

- David
Be sure to check the fine print. You may need to produce a license of the country from which you reserve.
Old Jul 30, 14, 7:27 am

I had this happen in the US

I am from the US but live in the Netherlands. Went to Orlando on vacation one year, reserved via Thrifty, and I got a great deal. But when I arrived in Orlando. I was told that rate was only for European Residents. But I am a European Resident. But I have a Florida Drivers license, as I am also a US Citizen. And by law I am required to use my US ids while in the United States of America.

Well they recalculated the rate, and it was over the top expensive. I said no and went back to the Airport, as they where off site. Asked several at several auto desks, Hertz, Budget, but Avis gave me a great rate, just a few dollars more than what Thrifty quoted me, and then upgraded me to a Luxury Car, as I was a Avis Preferred.

I have never gone back to Thrifty as I do not trust their rates.

My advice look at the major auto companies. Hertz, Avis, Budget and National. Alamo is the low cost subsidary of National.

Good luck.
Old Jul 30, 14, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by nusiax View Post
I am from the US but live in the Netherlands. Went to Orlando on vacation one year, reserved via Thrifty, and I got a great deal. But when I arrived in Orlando. I was told that rate was only for European Residents. But I am a European Resident. But I have a Florida Drivers license, as I am also a US Citizen. And by law I am required to use my US ids while in the United States of America.
You're required to use your U.S. passport when entering the USA and you're required to "have it in your possession" when you depart, but I'm not familiar with any law that says you must use US IDs (or driver's licenses) while in the USA.

In your shoes, I'd have shown the rental agent the Dutch driver's license, but then used a U.S. DL if stopped by the police.
Old Jul 30, 14, 1:14 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum, US Air, Hilton, Hertz, National Emerald Exc.
I recently experienced a similar situation during the Belgian Train Strike a few weeks ago.

Traveling with my family expecting to take the train from Paris to Ghent. All trains canceled. No cars in Paris or near by according to all the majors at the rental car desks I spoke with. I have top tier status with most of them due to my US Travel. Avis had an Audi a5 for 500 Euros for the day to pick up at airport and drop off in Brussels. - Can you say price gauge ? Strangely when I compared prices on the US vs French vs Belgium sites I found very different pricing and availability for towns in Northern France and Southern Belgium. I ended up book a car on the US Enterprise site for 75% of the cost vs the European sites.
Old Jul 30, 14, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat, DL FO, HH Gold, MR Gold
I'm currently sitting on two reservations for an upcoming trip, because of just this issue.

Reservation 1: Booked on expedia.com, 8 days for $400 total with Budget (all others, including Alamo, $700).

Reservation 2: Inadvertently searched with expedia.co.au (autocomplete filled it in during a trip to OZ). Exactly same airport, dates, car class. $260 with Alamo, $560 for everyone else (including Budget). Can't see ANYTHING in the fine print that requires residency.

Current plan is to show up at Alamo and see what I get, and go to Budget if they won't honor it.
Old Jul 30, 14, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nusiax View Post

Well they recalculated the rate, and it was over the top expensive. I said no and went back to the Airport, as they where off site. Asked several at several auto desks, Hertz, Budget, but Avis gave me a great rate, just a few dollars more than what Thrifty quoted me, and then upgraded me to a Luxury Car, as I was a Avis Preferred.

I have never gone back to Thrifty as I do not trust their rates.

My advice look at the major auto companies. Hertz, Avis, Budget and National. Alamo is the low cost subsidary of National.

Good luck.
There's no requirement to use a US DL. Actually legally you should be licensed in Europe since that is where you live. Your European DL is then valid in the US as long as you dont plan on residing there. No matter what you shouldn't have two DL. Doing so is illegal in all US states, especially since they recognize out of country DLs.
Old Jul 30, 14, 11:12 pm
m44

Programs: USAir
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
There's no requirement to use a US DL. Actually legally you should be licensed in Europe since that is where you live. Your European DL is then valid in the US as long as you don't plan on residing there. No matter what you shouldn't have two DL. Doing so is illegal in all US states, especially since they recognize out of country DLs.
Not exactly so. In the US while residing in the US most states prohibit possession of a driving license from another state. Of course since each states defines its residency differently it is not uncommon to based on facts and particular US states requirements requirements to be a resident of two states triggering requirement for two licenses - but you cannot have them at the same time. How to accomplish that ?- can't.
The prohibition of possession of two driving licenses in the USA applies only to the USA states licenses. You can have licenses from other countries.
Old Jul 30, 14, 11:15 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by HoratioXXXXblower View Post
move to america
not an option if the OP values his higher standard of living
Old Jul 31, 14, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by m44 View Post
Not exactly so. In the US while residing in the US most states prohibit possession of a driving license from another state. Of course since each states defines its residency differently it is not uncommon to based on facts and particular US states requirements requirements to be a resident of two states triggering requirement for two licenses - but you cannot have them at the same time. How to accomplish that ?- can't.
The prohibition of possession of two driving licenses in the USA applies only to the USA states licenses. You can have licenses from other countries.
Sorry to disappoint but the law doesn't say you can have two licenses as long as one is out of country. It does allow you to have two if there's no reciprocity agreement recognizing your State DL in the other country. This is because US States don't recognize countries DLs that don't recognize theirs. Thus in that case you don't have two valid licenses at once legally. However if the State you're in recognizes the out of country DL then you must surrender it when you get your State DL.
Old Aug 1, 14, 5:27 pm

AUS/NZ have different rules?

It's unclear to me why there would be a difference in availablility when booking from different countries. In AUS & NZ there are some differences in insurance coverage that I don't experience when renting cars in Europe and elsewhere. More specifically, our typically included rental car insurance coverage (from certain credit cards, for example) does not include rentals if done in Australia and New Zealand (an a select few other counties). I had always assumed coverage was valid everywhere but if you read the fine print you'll find these countires exempted. I wonder whether this might impact rentals in Europe from those countries? I doubt that RHD alone is the determining factor as people drive in Europe from England (and vice versa) all the time.
Old Aug 13, 14, 5:34 am

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
Try using a VPN with a US Ip address

I found that even with Hertz, I got a cheaper rate if I used a US based IP address. NO difference in asking for drivers details, just whether it was .com or .com.au.

Seems that Aus residents are charged more routinely , even for Itunes from Apple...

Search this Thread