Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Other Car Rental Programs (ie. Alamo, Enterprise) (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

Best way to get monthly rate on a 1-3 month car rental in SF Bay Area?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2014, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Exclamation Best way to get monthly rate on a 1-3 month car rental in SF Bay Area?

I dont care whether its Hertz/ Avis or Payless/ Dollar/ Alamo/ Budget/ Enterprise etc.

If the above are too expensive I'm open to alternatives who give monthly/ long term rentals.

Prefer to get a monthly rate that is more economical
Fuel efficient and reliable commuter vehicle

+ Mid-Size would be a nice to have but will take compact/ economy if that ends up having cheaper rate.

PS: I've been looking at GetAround and RelayRides and not sure if that's the way to go if the above does not work out.
Old May 20, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Your best chances are to call and ask for rates.

I would avoid the airport to save some money on tax

Last edited by kxc262; May 20, 2014 at 7:53 pm
Old May 22, 2014, 5:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kxc262
Your best chances are to call and ask for rates.

I would avoid the airport to save some money on tax
Very good advice. Call a few local Enterprise branches, tell they you want a monthly rental and see what they'll do for your on the price. It gives them great rental car utilization which they like.
Old May 23, 2014, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Will do. Thank you for insights. Open any other suggestions as well.
Old May 24, 2014, 5:59 pm

Stop thinking what u want, think what...

Originally Posted by xmlsoa
Will do. Thank you for insights. Open any other suggestions as well.
the rental car agencies are willing to put out there for discounting...it's NOT 1-3 months at a time...

if you want "cheap" stop thinking in terms of a 1-3 month car rental; if you want cheap get comfy with the inconvenience of doing multiple short term rentals, @ 1-2 weeks at a time. Look off-site.

You'll find your diamond.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by randix
the rental car agencies are willing to put out there for discounting...it's NOT 1-3 months at a time...

if you want "cheap" stop thinking in terms of a 1-3 month car rental; if you want cheap get comfy with the inconvenience of doing multiple short term rentals, @ 1-2 weeks at a time. Look off-site.

You'll find your diamond.
randix - thanks for your tips. been helpful. i guess by offsite you mean airport but a bit outside?
ps: would local editions have good rates from any rental agencies?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:03 pm

Two options...

randix - thanks for your tips. been helpful. i guess by offsite you mean airport but a bit outside?
ps: would local editions have good rates from any rental agencies?
1. Check airport locations that are NOT located in the SFO rental car center in order to avoid airport related assessment/charges. In SFO you really only have 2 options that qualify... Payless and Advantage. Note that both will ding you for a shuttle fee, but the savings usually more than pays for it; and if you really want to save pennies, get to their offsite locations w/o using their shuttle, eg friend dropping you off, taxi, etc.

2. Neighborhood locations around San Francisco. Almost always the case that neighborhood locations will offer a savings, even Hertz; you just have to get to the location (and those neighborhood locations that offer a shuttle pickup service, usually exclude transportation to and from the airport...but you can always hop on a shuttle to some hotel and then arrange pickup from there...sshhh)

If you're flying into SJC, the #2 option can particularly be useful...
Old Jun 4, 2014, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by randix
1. Check airport locations that are NOT located in the SFO rental car center in order to avoid airport related assessment/charges. In SFO you really only have 2 options that qualify... Payless and Advantage. Note that both will ding you for a shuttle fee, but the savings usually more than pays for it; and if you really want to save pennies, get to their offsite locations w/o using their shuttle, eg friend dropping you off, taxi, etc.

2. Neighborhood locations around San Francisco. Almost always the case that neighborhood locations will offer a savings, even Hertz; you just have to get to the location (and those neighborhood locations that offer a shuttle pickup service, usually exclude transportation to and from the airport...but you can always hop on a shuttle to some hotel and then arrange pickup from there...sshhh)

If you're flying into SJC, the #2 option can particularly be useful...
1. I made the booking online with PAY THERE using your Payless suggestion.
A friend will be dropping me there so I wont need or use their shuttle. Can I ask them to 'remove' that shuttle fee since I did not and will not use it?

2. I can try for neighborhood locations around SF and have a friend drop me or have them pick me up. I will try your suggestions on this.
Do you think the neighborhood locations might be able to beat the Payless rates that we discussed?

PS: I am located near San Mateo/ Foster City right now. Thoughts/ suggestions?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

What would be the top few most fuel efficient Compact/ Economy/ Mid size cars available from Payless or other rental agencies? Thoughts/ experiences on the cars?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 1:07 am
Original Poster

UPDATE:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...l#post22981237
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CMK10
Very good advice. Call a few local Enterprise branches, tell they you want a monthly rental and see what they'll do for your on the price. It gives them great rental car utilization which they like.
Are there some 'specific' tips to negotiating this please guide me.

I have talked to a few local editions. They do not seem to be quoting anything below what the ONLINE engines (Costco & some Corporate AWDs) seems to be quoting.

What are the tips and tricks to making the Manager quote lower than the BEST online rates? AND how far below those BEST rates can they be taken?

Please advise. Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Are there some 'specific' tips to negotiating this please guide me.

I have talked to a few local editions. They do not seem to be quoting anything below what the ONLINE engines (Costco & some Corporate AWDs) seems to be quoting.

What are the tips and tricks to making the Manager quote lower than the BEST online rates? AND how far below those BEST rates can they be taken?

Please advise. Thanks.
The only tip I can really give you is just practice your negotiating skills.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kxc262
The only tip I can really give you is just practice your negotiating skills.
Negotiating is always based on what one KNOWs and how far one can go or take the other party.

For salary negotiation one needs to know market dynamics and payscales and regional adjustments.

Same can be said for other areas. I do not know how MUCH or what numbers to leverage for this. Some ballpark ideas/ numbers would help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.