If you drive a rental over 5000 miles, do you have to change oil

Old May 13, 2014, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

If you drive a rental over 5000 miles, do you have to change oil

I recently drove a rental car over 5000 miles. The car's maintenance light came on. So I swapped cars at the nearest airport.
If I were in the middle of nowhere and I had to do an oil change myself, would I be reimbursed for that cost?

I think the rental company lost money renting to me, since I'm sure I put more than $200 of depreciation on the car. I more than doubled the initial mileage.
Old May 14, 2014, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by nd2010
I recently drove a rental car over 5000 miles. The car's maintenance light came on. So I swapped cars at the nearest airport.
If I were in the middle of nowhere and I had to do an oil change myself, would I be reimbursed for that cost?

I think the rental company lost money renting to me, since I'm sure I put more than $200 of depreciation on the car. I more than doubled the initial mileage.
With Enterprise/National/Alamo, take the car to the nearest Firestone Service center and they'll handle it at no charge. Prepare to waste an hour sitting around while it's serviced.
Old May 16, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: Hertz Gold
Screw that. Cars don't really need oil changes that often anyway. I had a rental that I put about that many miles on it and the oil light came on halfway through. Who cares!
Old May 19, 2014, 8:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
When I worked for Enterprise and then at an independent company, we would close and reopen all contracts after a month. If the miles started getting up there we'd either arrange to switch cars or to find a way for the customer to get the car serviced at no charge somewhere.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 9:25 pm

Depends on branch.......

Originally Posted by jMe1
With Enterprise/National/Alamo, take the car to the nearest Firestone Service center and they'll handle it at no charge. Prepare to waste an hour sitting around while it's serviced.
I had a rental once that I really liked so I took the car one night when I was out of town to get the oil changed. Any other time I've just told them the oil change light has come on and they swap me out to a different car when I come back into town.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.