FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Car Rental Programs (ie. Alamo, Enterprise) (closed to posting) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-car-rental-programs-ie-alamo-enterprise-closed-posting-595/)
-   -   How much commission (SPIF) do agents get selling Insurance, Gas, Upgrades, etc? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-car-rental-programs-ie-alamo-enterprise-closed-posting/1573967-how-much-commission-spif-do-agents-get-selling-insurance-gas-upgrades-etc.html)

kettle1 May 2, 2014 8:19 pm

How much commission (SPIF) do agents get selling Insurance, Gas, Upgrades, etc?

I know it must be pretty good or they would not "push" so hard to sell. Anyone have an idea on the Commission or SPIF?

This applies to both Alamo and Enterprise. It must be high as they both push hard for anything to get the rate up.

On a side note: I rarely rent from Enterprise, but I have had people tell me to inspect the car very well, as they will come after you for dents, dings, etc. I was told this is because most cars picked up are from local (non-airport) locations and many are very small locations located in strip malls. Is this true?

Crandall May 2, 2014 9:59 pm

Your Enterprise question: Enterprise is one of the most forgiving companies. The will charge you for large dents, deep scratches, etc. You can ask them to show you the template that they have to put over minor dings and they will gladly produce it. They should have it when you check the car out. If in doubt have them note everything. Just tell them that you had problems with other companies and they will note all damage no matter how small.

Crandall May 2, 2014 10:05 pm

On Commissions: Many states prohibit agents from pushing insurance. They cannot hard sell you. The reason is that they are not insurance agents. In Hawaii it is against the law to pay them commissions, as they are not licensed insurance agents. This came as a result of an overwhelming number of complaints from customers to TV news, consumer protection and legislators. That being said, I am sure that companies monitor what their employees do and if someone sell a lot of insurance....well.
If you have an American Express Card, check out their Premium Insurance Protection. It covers your rental for $24.95 per rental, not per day. It also takes first position if there is a claim and your personal insurance premiums will not be affected. This is from personal experience.

kxc262 May 5, 2014 1:02 am

Hm regarding my experience with Enterprise, they use the golf-ball size ding/dent system where any damages larger than a golf-ball size will be marked. They bring the template out when you rent cars with them. Most small scratches they will classify as wear/tear and ignore, which is pretty nice. However, any damages that I am aware of, I will have the agent mark down or I will take an picture of the car at pick up. In all of my rentals with Enterprise, the damage problem has not been an issue (unless there is a relatively large dent, which the agent noted on the original contract).

Most local locations, in my experience, have been indeed at strip malls and such. However, Enterprise does have a select locations in hotels as well.

The agents get promoted based on sales of insurance, gas, etc from what I hear. Obviously, more sales means quicker promotion to becoming a branch manager and so on.

sz2628 May 5, 2014 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Crandall (Post 22801552)
It covers your rental for $24.95 per rental, not per day. It also takes first position if there is a claim and your personal insurance premiums will not be affected. This is from personal experience.

Its basically the CDW/LDW, but comes with no liability.

LeonS May 7, 2014 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by sz2628 (Post 22811268)
Its basically the CDW/LDW, but comes with no liability.

Is there any Credit Card that offers Liability when putting a rental car reservation on it?

sz2628 May 10, 2014 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by LeonS (Post 22829075)
Is there any Credit Card that offers Liability when putting a rental car reservation on it?

None that i am aware of. Most credit card coverage is secondary as well. Amex, will be primary if you purchase their premium plan when renting. However Diners Club card is primary with no extra costs.

LeonS May 16, 2014 1:42 am

Originally Posted by sz2628 (Post 22843797)
None that i am aware of. Most credit card coverage is secondary as well. Amex, will be primary if you purchase their premium plan when renting. However Diners Club card is primary with no extra costs.

What about those of us with no car and hence no regular CDW insurance? I thought in this case the credit card coverage "becomes" primary.

The way I understand "primary" here: the first insurance that will pay for an incident; secondary will only cover what the primary won't pay. Please correct me if I am wrong.

sz2628 May 18, 2014 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by LeonS (Post 22873082)
What about those of us with no car and hence no regular CDW insurance? I thought in this case the credit card coverage "becomes" primary.

Usually yes. However you want to call your credit provider and ask them to email you a copy of the coverage they provide to be safe, as coverage is ever changing.

CMK10 May 19, 2014 8:21 pm

Unless something has changed at Enterprise since I worked there in 2007-2008, nothing directly.

However, the numbers, especially insurance, was indirectly tied to whether you would be considered promotable. Those who sold often got ahead, those who didn't often did not, at least in Phoenix. That said, when I worked at PHX they kept records of how much you did in upgrades, gas, GPS rental and insurance and the Top 5 people got a bonus. I finished 5th one month and got $100.