FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Car Rental Programs (ie. Alamo, Enterprise) (closed to posting) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-car-rental-programs-ie-alamo-enterprise-closed-posting-595/)
-   -   Firefly now officially OFF my rental list (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-car-rental-programs-ie-alamo-enterprise-closed-posting/1572376-firefly-now-officially-off-my-rental-list.html)

randix Apr 27, 2014 11:08 am

Firefly now officially OFF my rental list

Made a reservation with Firefly in Las Vegas (they are located in the rental center, not off-site), for a compact car.

Showed up this morning (Sunday) at 8a, hardly anyone was around that early in the rental center.

A few people ahead of me were huffing and puffing, but I didn't know why...I quickly found out.

I was told they had no economy or compact cars, they had one full size car which I could have for an additional cost. I said I'd wait. Agent said ok, would be about 30m, which I said ok. Then he said there were "4 or 5" people ahead of me also waiting for a compact car. I said I'd wait again. This time he said there was about a 5% chance he'd have one in the next hour, and he really couldn't say when one might be available.

I got the clue. Made a reservation at the same price with Fox, cancelled my Firefly reservation.

Every other car rental company has provided an upgrade at no cost if the rental reserved is not available. Absolutely unacceptable, as is the express impression I got (true or not) that this was just one more way to generate add'l fees. In any event, was terrible customer service the way he handled it, left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Last time I bother booking with Firefly if that's their policies. Happy to share my experience here in case anyone else is thinking about booking a reservation with Firefly, especially at the Las Vegas location.

heraclitus May 6, 2014 3:40 pm

Wow, that is a pretty blatant bait and switch. Thanks for the warning.

CTNYC May 7, 2014 2:49 am

Hmm... That's interesting considering FireFly is owned by Hertz. Would like to learn if it is because the location is so new or if they were overbooked or if this is a consistent problem with FireFly.

randix May 7, 2014 5:50 pm

I dunno, but...

Originally Posted by CTNYC (Post 22823481)
Hmm... That's interesting considering FireFly is owned by Hertz. Would like to learn if it is because the location is so new or if they were overbooked or if this is a consistent problem with FireFly.

It was not a scenario I was concerned about when I booked the reservation for a compact car, nor one that I anticipated. On an early Sunday morning, I was taken aback when I learned there were no cars available, and that I'd have to pay to "upgrade" or indefinitely wait. As you might imagine, I was pissed (as were the people ahead of me); fortunately, I had my laptop, went immediately online, and found Fox with a similar price, albeit off site, and immediately left.

That kind of behavior is simply unacceptable, and I have appreciation that there's a forum like FlyerTalk where I can vent, hopefully responsibly. No one from Firefly has reached out to me, and I'm not about to expend my further energy to correspond with them, as I have no intention to do further business with them. It's just not acceptable.

Perhaps they operate differently in other locations than LAS (I've noticed they are now in SJC), but they've lost my interest.

CTNYC May 9, 2014 5:48 am

Originally Posted by randix (Post 22827974)
It was not a scenario I was concerned about when I booked the reservation for a compact car, nor one that I anticipated. On an early Sunday morning, I was taken aback when I learned there were no cars available, and that I'd have to pay to "upgrade" or indefinitely wait. As you might imagine, I was pissed (as were the people ahead of me); fortunately, I had my laptop, went immediately online, and found Fox with a similar price, albeit off site, and immediately left.

That kind of behavior is simply unacceptable, and I have appreciation that there's a forum like FlyerTalk where I can vent, hopefully responsibly. No one from Firefly has reached out to me, and I'm not about to expend my further energy to correspond with them, as I have no intention to do further business with them. It's just not acceptable.

Perhaps they operate differently in other locations than LAS (I've noticed they are now in SJC), but they've lost my interest.

Definitely something that should be expected (unless there is a huge event or something in a particular city) and you are completely correct to be pissed... IMO if they had a larger car, they should have given that to you. Keep us posted on how everything works out (tip- with Hertz, you get very quick service if you reach out via Facebook or Twitter - Maybe that is the same case with FireFly since it is the same company?)

drtravel Sep 29, 2014 7:22 am

mid size not full size in PHX

Not sure I'll rent from Firefly again either. I reserved a full size car for PHX. Yes, at a great rate. After waiting in line was only offered an Optima, which is a mid size car. Most uncomfortable car we've traveled in, in a long time.
If the rate is low enough to tempt you, be ready to challenge the car size even if you just want to get in the car and get on with your travel.
DRT