Enterprise: Flat Tire Question

Old Apr 27, 14, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Enterprise: Flat Tire Question

I recently rented a vehicle and the day after picking it up got a flat tire. I was nowhere near any of the enterprise locations, and I did not get the "roadside assistance protection". I was on a restricted road, so the RAP wouldn't have helped me anyway as the enterprise person instructed me I had to contact the state troopers for assistance with the tire.

After having the spare put on, I was able to drive to a garage along the turnpike I was traveling on. Enterprise wanted me to go to Firestone or Bridgestone (companies they have existing deals with) but that would have taken me an additional 2 hours, after already being delayed 2 hours due to the flat I didn't want to do this. I spoke with the rep at enterprise roadside assistance and she said she would mark in my notes, but could not guarantee that I would get reimbursed.

I shelled out about $300 and got a new tire. The tire guy was amazed that I had just received the car as almost all the tires had very little tire pressure and he filled all of them with air as he said if you drive on these they will also burst (the tires should have been at 35 and were at 25 - whatever that means)

Interestingly, this was my second car since the previous car actually had engine trouble. I received this vehicle dirty and with only a 1/4 tank of gas, but at the time it was running just fine.

Should I file a claim with amex (who I have car insurance with) or should I proceed in a different fashion directly with Enterprise? Who should I expect to get reimbursed from for the roughly $300 I had to shell out for this?

Thank you.
Old Apr 27, 14, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You will need to carefully read the terms of the Amex policy, but I'm not sure that it covers the cost of a flat. If it does, that is where I would go.

Enterprise will fight you tooth and nail and will either reimburse you what it would have paid one of its contractors (which I can assure you will be a small fraction of what you paid) or nothing at all. If Amex doesn't cover the flat, you will nonetheless have to try Enterprise.
Old Apr 27, 14, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
You will need to carefully read the terms of the Amex policy, but I'm not sure that it covers the cost of a flat. If it does, that is where I would go.

Enterprise will fight you tooth and nail and will either reimburse you what it would have paid one of its contractors (which I can assure you will be a small fraction of what you paid) or nothing at all. If Amex doesn't cover the flat, you will nonetheless have to try Enterprise.
Thanks. Was afraid of this.

Any advice on the best way to present this to Enterprise? Sounds like it's going to be difficult, but if anyone has experience with this it would be helpful to know before I approach them.
Old Apr 28, 14, 9:06 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
$300 for a tire? A Firestone? That seems wayyy high. Firestone is on the cheaper tires known around here.

BTW, 35 and 25 are numbers in pounds. So a tire should normally have 35 pounds of air, Yours had 25 pounds of air.
Old Apr 28, 14, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL GM 0.4MM, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 100% Green View Post
Thanks. Was afraid of this.

Any advice on the best way to present this to Enterprise? Sounds like it's going to be difficult, but if anyone has experience with this it would be helpful to know before I approach them.
I have filed a claim with Enterprise before regarding a car accident. However, I had LDW/CDP with them.

Contact them, see what they say. It is a real pain.

I would also contact AMEX. They will prepare the documentation for you and if Enterprise reimburses you, you can drop the claim with AMEX. I am not even sure if AMEX covers flats, but worth a shot.
Old Apr 28, 14, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would lay it all out to Enterprise in very simple, clear & concise terms and focus on the fact that the tire was likely defective. Present a copy of the $300 invoice. There really isn't much more you can do. In effect this was a choice between having Enterprise do the repair at an authorized facility and the value of your time.
Old Apr 28, 14, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Update:

I was surprisingly pleased with the result. Once I brought the receipts to the location where I rented from they immediately put a note in my reservation to deduct the costs from my reservation when it ends.

to enterprise.
Old Apr 28, 14, 2:53 pm

Cool Your thumbs up "might" need to be re-directed

Originally Posted by 100% Green View Post
Update:

I was surprisingly pleased with the result. Once I brought the receipts to the location where I rented from they immediately put a note in my reservation to deduct the costs from my reservation when it ends.

to enterprise.
Disclaimer...I've not rented from Enterprise in several (many) years; bloodied and bruised with my prior interactions. From reading the thread and recalling my experiences which admittedly may be out of date, I think all of your well deserved thumbs up should be directed to the customer representative you were fortunate to have dealt with, rather than extrapolating those thumbs to Enterprise as a car rental company.

Just saying...
Old Apr 28, 14, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by randix View Post
Disclaimer...I've not rented from Enterprise in several (many) years; bloodied and bruised with my prior interactions. From reading the thread and recalling my experiences which admittedly may be out of date, I think all of your well deserved thumbs up should be directed to the customer representative you were fortunate to have dealt with, rather than extrapolating those thumbs to Enterprise as a car rental company.

Just saying...
On one hand the excellent service could be training, on the other hand it might be against policy and get her fired.

Search this Thread