FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Car Rental Programs (ie. Alamo, Enterprise) (closed to posting) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-car-rental-programs-ie-alamo-enterprise-closed-posting-595/)
-   -   Alamo Navigation option - factory GPS? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-car-rental-programs-ie-alamo-enterprise-closed-posting/1552554-alamo-navigation-option-factory-gps.html)

at4behe1 Feb 17, 2014 2:50 am

Alamo Navigation option - factory GPS?

Hi, maybe someone has experience with this:

I have a FFAR reservation including navigation.

In Europe (at least in the countries where I had rental cars) you will get a car with factory GPS.

On the other hand, in US this seems to be different. "Navigation" still seems to be a mobile GPS device most of the time. I know that Hertz has its Neverlost device that as I understood is bolted to the car (even in some cases where there is already a factory GPS in the car).

Simple question: If I get the car at the Alamo Choice Line - will I have to get to the counter and get myself a Garmin or TomTom or whatever, or are there specially marked vehicles already including factory GPS?

Or the other way round - if the vehicles are not marked and the GPS is not fixed to the car likes Hertz's N/L, can you just take a car with factory GPS or will they recognize this at the exit booth and add the GPS surcharge to the bill?

kxc262 Feb 18, 2014 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by at4behe1 (Post 22362557)

In Europe (at least in the countries where I had rental cars) you will get a car with factory GPS.

On the other hand, in US this seems to be different. "Navigation" still seems to be a mobile GPS device most of the time. I know that Hertz has its Neverlost device that as I understood is bolted to the car (even in some cases where there is already a factory GPS in the car).

Simple question: If I get the car at the Alamo Choice Line - will I have to get to the counter and get myself a Garmin or TomTom or whatever, or are there specially marked vehicles already including factory GPS?

Or the other way round - if the vehicles are not marked and the GPS is not fixed to the car likes Hertz's N/L, can you just take a car with factory GPS or will they recognize this at the exit booth and add the GPS surcharge to the bill?

You will almost get a handheld Garmin / TomTom

Here is a list of cars with factory navs
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/natio...sent-lcar.html

In the past (rented from Enterprise) if the car has build in nav, no additional GPS surcharge.

Alamocares Feb 18, 2014 3:29 pm

at4behe1,

GPS systems are available upon request. If you are making your reservation on our website you can also add it to your reservation at that time.

Best regards,
Christina B.
Alamo Social Monitoring Coordinator

aspara Feb 19, 2014 10:28 am

Originally Posted by at4behe1 (Post 22362557)

In Mia Alamo hands out small bags containing the portable nav unit, charger and holder when you register.

at4behe1 Feb 20, 2014 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Alamocares (Post 22372897)
at4behe1,

GPS systems are available upon request. If you are making your reservation on our website you can also add it to your reservation at that time.

Best regards,
Christina B.
Alamo Social Monitoring Coordinator

thanks! my reservation says "GPS included", so I guess I will have to get the device from the counter and thus cannot bypass it with the kiosks