Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alamo: pick up car early, keep same rate plan?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Alamo: pick up car early, keep same rate plan?

Due to a snow storm in my hometown, I'm flying out to SAN a day earlier than I intended. Because it's a holiday, all the cheapo rates are sold out, so I can't just make a new reservation without paying a fortune. I just want to add a day to my existing rez at my current rate plan. For the folks who work at Alamo, this is the world's most difficult question. They can't tell me what I'll be charged at the counter, and I don't want the hassle of having to haggle.

Has anyone ever dealt with this situation? BTW, I'm scheduled to arrive at around 11 pm, and at midnight it would be the same day as my original pickup (albeit 23 hours early). Would that help?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Is the location open at midnight?

The other solution might be to rent for one day at the higher rate, then return for your original rental.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Is the location open at midnight?

The other solution might be to rent for one day at the higher rate, then return for your original rental.
Yeah, it is open at midnight.

I've made another rez at National. It would cost me more, but I'd probably get a better car (Emerald Aisle) and a lot less hassle.

It's a shame there aren't counters at SAN where I could negotiate with Alamo BEFORE getting on their bus. That way, if they didn't want to deal, I could just walk away and go to National.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by iahphx

I've made another rez at National. It would cost me more, but I'd probably get a better car (Emerald Aisle) and a lot less hassle.

It's a shame there aren't counters at SAN where I could negotiate with Alamo BEFORE getting on their bus. That way, if they didn't want to deal, I could just walk away and go to National.
You could call the local Alamo office.

Anyway, hope you have a good trip.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:48 pm

fwiw

Originally Posted by iahphx

i rent from Alamo frequently, luv their kiosk and no-deposit policy. i use to show up early for my reservation and always was faced with a higher rate at the kiosk, and the desk folks were of no help. they've trained me (sadly), I no longer show up early. still luv Alamo for their kiosk and no-deposit policy.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by randix
i rent from Alamo frequently, luv their kiosk and no-deposit policy. i use to show up early for my reservation and always was faced with a higher rate at the kiosk, and the desk folks were of no help. they've trained me (sadly), I no longer show up early. still luv Alamo for their kiosk and no-deposit policy.
Yeah, they should be happy to just take the extra money for the extra day, but I guess the "gotcha" mentality of car rental agencies persists. As I said, if the counters were in the terminal (or a central car rental building), I'd go first to Alamo and see what they'd do for me. But since I'd have to take a bus there, it seems a bit like a wild goose chase, and I'm not likely to get any help. I did try to call the local office, but nobody there was willing to help -- saying it had to be done "at the counter." I guess their "sister" company, National, will get the revenue this time.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:03 pm
Suspended

To me, this is a little like airlines charging more for late purchase tickets, so it doesn't bother me that much since there are options like renting from another company or renting for one day at the higher rate.

Enjoy SAN. I really like that town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.