Wiki Posts
Search

USAA Rental car discounts - Non military member

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2014, 10:16 am
Original Poster

USAA Rental car discounts - Non military member

Hey Guys!

First of all, this is my first post here so just tell me if I'm making any mistakes

Anyway, me and my girlfriend is going to the US in August and we're staying for a month and we'll rent a car from JFK to LAX and on this forum I found the USAA deals.

We're both 21 years old by the way.

I tried the codes and we definitely got the best rates with those codes.

I couldn't really figure out if we were allowed to join the USAA since we're not from the US and we're not associated to the army (except for my girlfriends father was in the Swedish Army).

I called them up and they told me it was basically for people in the military or if anyone in your family was a army member.

I made some more googling and decided to sign up for the free membership and there were clear options to choose that you were NOT associated with the army in any way.

All fine from there. Then I called up Enterprise to make a reservation and everything went fine until she checked with her colleauge what the USAA discount was. She started to sound nervous and asked me if I was an army member etc. Then she just connected me to the JFK office where I made the reservation. They said that the code was applied and I just needed to show my USAA card at arrival which I'm not allowed to get since I'm not associated to any army, as I said, even though I got a membership number and all.

So my question is, will they accept my USAA discount at arrival, if I can proove I'm a member with like a printed page with all my membership info from my USAA profile page?

And second, if this would be OK, would this discount apply for my girlfriend as well, I mean , would it waive her under age fee as well or does she need to become a member as well?

We just don't want to get in any trouble at arrival

All answers are appreciated.

With Regards
Old Feb 9, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
I've heard of other members that are not related to the US Military use the USAA discounts. I suggest to be a little careful though, if your using a Swedish license with a USAA membership it's going to look confusing.

I have a code that waives the Under Age fee with Alamo, I'll pm you the details.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by Sweden1992
Hey Guys!

First of all, this is my first post here so just tell me if I'm making any mistakes

Anyway, me and my girlfriend is going to the US in August and we're staying for a month and we'll rent a car from JFK to LAX and on this forum I found the USAA deals.

We're both 21 years old by the way.

I tried the codes and we definitely got the best rates with those codes.

I couldn't really figure out if we were allowed to join the USAA since we're not from the US and we're not associated to the army (except for my girlfriends father was in the Swedish Army).

I called them up and they told me it was basically for people in the military or if anyone in your family was a army member.

I made some more googling and decided to sign up for the free membership and there were clear options to choose that you were NOT associated with the army in any way.

All fine from there. Then I called up Enterprise to make a reservation and everything went fine until she checked with her colleauge what the USAA discount was. She started to sound nervous and asked me if I was an army member etc. Then she just connected me to the JFK office where I made the reservation. They said that the code was applied and I just needed to show my USAA card at arrival which I'm not allowed to get since I'm not associated to any army, as I said, even though I got a membership number and all.

So my question is, will they accept my USAA discount at arrival, if I can proove I'm a member with like a printed page with all my membership info from my USAA profile page?

And second, if this would be OK, would this discount apply for my girlfriend as well, I mean , would it waive her under age fee as well or does she need to become a member as well?

We just don't want to get in any trouble at arrival

All answers are appreciated.

With Regards
I was wondering if you were able to use the USAA discount? I have a similar situation, thought I am a US citizen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.