Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Other Car Rental Programs (ie. Alamo, Enterprise) (closed to posting)
Reload this Page >

Can my daughter drive our rental car with a learner's permit while we're on vacation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can my daughter drive our rental car with a learner's permit while we're on vacation?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)

Could not find this on FT nor on Google:

The fam is renting a car, willing to use any rental company, and wants to know if the young lady who is almost 16 can drive the car with one of her parents in the front seat next to her. She has a CA temporary "learner's" permit.

Realizing this may be specific to each rental company, but hoping that someone here might know just which one, if any, is willing to allow this.

Thx
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Let me get this straight: You plan to rent a $30,000 car and hand the keys over to your 15-year-old daughter who is just learning to drive, and you want to know if any car rental company is willing to allow this?

I can't help but asking (with tongue only partially in cheek): Why are you willing to allow this?

In all seriousness, car rental drivers must be authorized by the car rental company, and I couldn't find any company who would, in any case, authorize someone under 18 to drive a rental car. Even if there were, it probably would rank way up on the list of Truly Bad Ideas.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - AMB-LTT / Avis - PC
No, the minimum age is 18 (if not 25 for some rental companies), and they typically limit the class of car rented, charge additional fees, or require additional insurance.

Regardless, renting a vehicle to any unlicensed driver is extremely high-risk and a terrible idea.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UnderEst
No, the minimum age is 18 (if not 25 for some rental companies), and they typically limit the class of car rented, charge additional fees, or require additional insurance.

Regardless, renting a vehicle to any unlicensed driver is extremely high-risk and a terrible idea.
What?? A learner's permit is a temporary license to drive legally with a licensed adult in the car. And, yes I would indeed have my loved one drive a rental car, 30K or not, if it was allowed by the rental car company. In fact, it's a great way to have the kid get experience in someone else's car, why sacrifice my own?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by weezl
What?? A learner's permit is a temporary license to drive legally with a licensed adult in the car. And, yes I would indeed have my loved one drive a rental car, 30K or not, if it was allowed by the rental car company. In fact, it's a great way to have the kid get experience in someone else's car, why sacrifice my own?
Seriously?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, AS
It might be interesting to ask your insurance company.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Wow, just wow.

First, the previous posters have addressed the age issue. Second, no way in the world will any rental car company authorize a driver who holds only a learner's permit, regardless of age (and yes, I know this for sure). Third, you are, I am assuming, going to be somewhere other than your own city. It is just crazy to put an unlicensed, new, inexperienced driver who is still a child (yes, she is 15) behind the wheel in an unfamiliar car in an unfamiliar place. I seriously question your judgement in risking not only her life but the lives and property of every other road user. There is a reason behind the statistics about crash rates for new drivers. Add to that the unfamiliarity with the vehicle and the area and it is a recipe for disaster. I am shocked you would even consider something so ridiculous and unnecessary.

I was a driver examiner for many years, testing new drivers for all classes of vehicles and not once would a rental car company authorize the use of their car (obviously rented by a parent or friend) by a driver with only a learner's permit. Age was not the reason.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
Wow, just wow.

First, the previous posters have addressed the age issue. Second, no way in the world will any rental car company authorize a driver who holds only a learner's permit, regardless of age (and yes, I know this for sure). Third, you are, I am assuming, going to be somewhere other than your own city. It is just crazy to put an unlicensed, new, inexperienced driver who is still a child (yes, she is 15) behind the wheel in an unfamiliar car in an unfamiliar place. I seriously question your judgement in risking not only her life but the lives and property of every other road user. There is a reason behind the statistics about crash rates for new drivers. Add to that the unfamiliarity with the vehicle and the area and it is a recipe for disaster. I am shocked you would even consider something so ridiculous and unnecessary.

I was a driver examiner for many years, testing new drivers for all classes of vehicles and not once would a rental car company authorize the use of their car (obviously rented by a parent or friend) by a driver with only a learner's permit. Age was not the reason.
Clearly there are some opinions here. We are going to be in an area that is rural (some would say optimal) for having a young 'un hone her skills. Are you saying that being in an unfamiliar city that is 10x more rural than LA is a bad place to have a young driver? I feel MUCH safer when we are out of town than when we are in our familiar home area. Just where do YOU want these kids to drive, somewhere along your commuting route as you enter the city? I'm going to be in the front seat, also. We're not letting her loose on the mad streets of the city for her to find her way. Sheesh. In fact, when she DOES get her license, I would feel much more comfortable in knowing that she has as many hours of driving time as possible before she goes it alone.

An unfamiliar car, really? These days, econoboxes that you rent are pretty much all dummied down and for the most part cannot be distinguished mechanically from each other very well. Camry, Accord, Altima, etc... I'll take my chances with these cars on an "unfamiliar" byway any day over my higher end machine in LA. Any day.

Do chime in if you are one that only allows your kids to idle up and down the driveway until they are 18 and move away. I'd be interested in knowing how their driving skills hold up to those crazies like me who actually let them drive to gain experience.

Fine that rental companies don't like risk, I get that. Some companies do rent to kids <25. This is the reason for my post, to see if there are any that would allow a permit holder behind the wheel. I won't be surprised if my quest proves unsuccessful for reasons you all mentioned above. But I don't think I deserve the or the Wow, or the tongue in cheek comments.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA
Some companies will rent to those under 25, but usually add on a surcharge. I believe 18 is the minimum age. There is no company in America that will rent to a 16 year old with a full unrestricted license. There is absolutely no company that will rent to a 15 year old on a learners permit.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rudycantfail0
Some companies will rent to those under 25, but usually add on a surcharge. I believe 18 is the minimum age. There is no company in America that will rent to a 16 year old with a full unrestricted license. There is absolutely no company that will rent to a 15 year old on a learners permit.
Yes I get it. I am not looking for a company to rent to a permit holder, but to rent to me and allow her to get behind the wheel legally. I get that this is essentially "renting to her" but just want to be accurate.

Let's close this thread, it's too irritating and I believe we have an answer to the question.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak

Let's close this thread, it's too irritating and I believe we have an answer to the question.
^

Agreed. OP did not deserve the sermonizing.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
OP did not deserve the sermonizing.
I was prepared to let the OP have the last word on the issue, but since you brought it up: IMHO, the OP's idea was so unbelievably bad, it deserved a strong response, if only to prevent him from making an incredibly big mistake.

TIP: If you would like to close the thread, you can click on the red triangle and make the request to the moderators.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Please: let's remain on topic and be factual without making personal asides and implications about one member or another.

Thanks,

JDiver
senior moderator
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:16 am

Nope..

You must have a drivers license in order to drive a rental car. Right now she is not licensed to drive a vehicle she only has a permit which permits her to drive with a licensed driver in the car. And if she did have a license there is usually an additional fee for having more than one licensed driver listed on the rental agreement.

Last edited by pilotwife; Jan 29, 2014 at 2:21 am
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® Five Star®, & Rapid Rewards
Every rental car contract I have read explicitly prohibits using the car to help someone learn how to drive with a learners permit. If he/she gets in a wreck, you will be in violation of the rental agreement, and unless your own personal insurance is willing to overlook that breach, they may refuse to pay as well.

So basically, if you have money in the pocket to cover the replacement of the vehicle, I'd suggest you not do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.