Alamo: 2dr vs 4dr ICAR?

Old Jan 4, 14, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AGR, DL
Alamo: 2dr vs 4dr ICAR?

Hello all. Here's a minor distraction for you. I'm planning a 15 day trip out of LAX later this year. The agent I normally use to book rentals through Alamo is distinguishing between a 2 door and a 4 door Midsize (presumably ICAR).

Screenshot:

ICAR 2dr vs 4dr? by James Benedict Brown, on Flickr

It makes absolutely no difference to me, as the prices are identical, but I'm wondering where this discrepancy is coming up. Presumably it's an agent error, as Alamo don't (?) offer such a distinction?

Thanks for shedding any light on this.
Old Jan 4, 14, 7:30 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta GM, National EE, Hertz PC, SPG Plat
I don't even know what you'd receive for a 2-door ICAR...I suppose 2-door could be something like an Altima coupe, though those have been classified as SCAR in the past (and I haven't even seen those in the fleet for almost a year).

I'd chalk it up to a tech error.
Old Jan 4, 14, 9:53 pm

Does Hyundai still make Elantra coupes?
Old Jan 4, 14, 11:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by drzoidberg View Post
Does Hyundai still make Elantra coupes?
Still? They only just started last year

I think it's a holdover from the older days when the fleet carried 2 and 4-door Cobalts, Focus, etc. Nowadays there aren't too many and even though the offerings are still there I find them incredibly rare as renters prefer 4 doors when travelling.

According to our fleet list these are the remote possibilities for a 2-door ICAR:

Honda Civic
Hyundai Elantra
Kia Forte Koup
Volkswagen Beetle

Civics are fairly rare, and the Elantra and Forte coupes both cost more than their sedan counterparts, further hindering the possibility of finding one. Also not sure if the Beetle is still an ICAR.

Realistically, the only 2-door car you're going to find regularly at National outside of a sports or luxury car is the Fiat 500. If you booked the 2-door ICAR it would probably just be treated as a regular Midsize res.
Old Jan 5, 14, 2:07 am

Beetle is SXAR now.
Fiat 500 is a CCAR I think.
Old Jan 5, 14, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AGR, DL
Thanks all for the clarification. Given that some of the agents I've been researching refer to such vintage delights as "Oldsmobile Alero or similar" I was assuming it was just an obsolete distinction
Old Jan 5, 14, 10:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by drzoidberg View Post
Beetle is SXAR now.
Fiat 500 is a CCAR I think.
Right, that's what I figured. I should've been more clear when I mentioned the 500, it is a CCAR and also the only 2-door car I can think of regularly showing up in the fleet, outside of something like a Mustang.

Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad View Post
Thanks all for the clarification. Given that some of the agents I've been researching refer to such vintage delights as "Oldsmobile Alero or similar" I was assuming it was just an obsolete distinction
You're really not far off on how archaic some of the descriptions can be :P
Old Jan 5, 14, 5:14 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Since the question is specifically Alamo, I'm going to move it to the Other Car Rental forum - because even though Alamo and National are both owned by Enterprise and in many locations share the fleet, the forum has not been renamed.

Peteropny - mod - national
Old Jan 8, 14, 6:28 pm

I don't even know what you find there that is a two door in Intermediate. Last time I was there it was all Jetta, Corollas, Focus Hatchbacks, Elantras, etc. Four doors all of them

Search this Thread